Finished! Booboo build

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Yeah, devil is in the detail, those '50's rounded pickup covers are nice eh.

Are they proper 3 spoke knobs?  I'II buy them off you if they are.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    @Sambostar Honestly? can't remember, I'll have a look whence I get home.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2016

The way it's going, you're gonna look back and wish you'd done a full '50's relic soon enough, including waxed cloth wiring and one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201536116041?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Then you'll feel compelled to make another load of guitars.

Then you'll start getting anal about the shape of bodies and want to start making your own and you'll want a bakerlite pickguard, this is how it starts.

Trust me.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Sambostar just as long as I don't end up wanting to build a tele, I can deal with the rest!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Sambostar. 4 spoke knobs
    eBay listing 201507745306
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks class!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Cheers @usedtobe
    I bought the wiring loom (70s mij fender) from @Default_M and just assumed it was standard strat setup, however it turns out that ain't the case,
    1=bridge
    2 =mid /bridge
    3=mid /bridge
    4=all pups on
    5=neck and bridge

Odd setup, and I can't tell any difference between 2 and 3.
    I'll probably revert it all to normal when I string change or replace the pickguard screws for stainless steel.
    edited August 2016
    What the hell happened to all my photos? I have not moved them from the google album, in fact I've not touched them at all!
    bloody infuriating!

EDIT:
    Hopefully I've restored the pics
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Nah.  And the Google album link gives Error 404 (not found)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    @Jalapeno thanks for the heads up, I've cleared all caches and rebooted, all looks fine (apart from a couple I didn't bother replacing)

anyone else not seeing ANY?

Last effort at replacing pictures and Google album link.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Looking good, and link works too ! B)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Thanks @Jalapeno ;
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sarge said:
    I'll listen to suggestions for a name, so far all I've come up with is BooCaster.....
    Woody!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Nice build 
    I did notice you had an issue with the bridge saddles being at max height with the Booboo body and Northwest Neck, I have again not dug into this deep enough but when i built my partscaster 4 or 5 years ago in the end I sanded the pocket a bit and got the saddles low enough to get a setup that was fine for me. 

I have done a couple of further builds for friends with Northwest Necks and Guitar Build bodies. Each time I have come up with this. I should really measure which one is wrong but at the time I measured the neck pocket it seemed to be inline with Fender Specs.

More interestingly to do a quick build for a friend he wanted a classic TBS Strat I do not have time to get the spray work done at the moment so I plumped for one of their Northwest Nitro bodies, a very nice job it has to be said and a spare Northwest neck i had laying around unused but prepped.

I do a lot of work on their necks to get them to feel like the best custom shop style necks so everything is super smooth rounded and has a velvet feel, takes a good few hours with the finest grade wire wool and some coarse t shirt/polo material  which ISTR was what they do with Artist custom shop necks at Fender, interns do hours of work burnishing necks to get that old friend but not aged or sanded feel. Anyway I tried mating a Northwest body to the Northwest neck and got the same issue with saddles raised way to high. 

In the end my friend needed it urgently so he collected it and put a metal shim under the bridge to raise them slightly and resolve the issue and it has to come back and I have to remove some wood, as time was of the essence. 

So it was interesting that this was an issue even with their own bodies. 

This is more for information and is not a criticism of Northwest at all I use them for loads of bits and their service and the quality of the necks is way better than you get with a lot of cheaper Ebay necks nice straight grain correct woods 1/4 sawn etc etc. 

Its also fair to say there are a range of sizes used on Fender Necks from USA, Japan, Mexico, Asia etc 

Just highlighting with partscasters its not alway plug and play. 

Again a nice build looks great
    edited August 2016
    Thanks @Jez6345789 ;
    Any hints on keeping the sanding level in the pocket? 
    I didn't attempt this yet through fear of ballsing it up and having to shim the hell out of it! 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I am probably totally wrong here but it seemed to me as we are talking mm here is it not better to reduce the neck thickness a couple of mm I have not measured it off to see which one is out but it seemed easier to sand the flat neck joint part or risk over doing it with a chisel and then having to shim it but that said I usually end up adding a bit of a shim to Strat necks in the top of the pocket to get a slight back angle always seems more natural than a 

What we probably need is some proper dimensions here. I know when I did my first partscaster way back I took it to the local repair setup guy as I was all a bit uncertain about how the various bits fitted together. He had a handy little black book of strat in all there various forms over the years and referred to it when he had trouble getting a guitar to setup properly. He simply scaled it all off and went yeah that will do it. 

He got it from a lutherie school he went to in the States it covered measurements for loads of stuff for Fender stuff pickup locations sizes dimensions all in a handy table. 

He was not about to share that document I did ask :-)

So stuff like pocket depth
    Neck joint wood thickness
    fingerboard thickness etc etc

Mine just fell into that and he said the neck pocket needed deepening if I wanted it exact but the rest was ok