Boss DD20

What's Hot
BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 413
I've been seriously thinking about buying a Boss DD500 but am now thinking...'do I really need one?'  Would a DD20 do what I want?  Not knowing very much about the DD20 I thought I'd ask for some opinions from players that have used 'em.

What I'm looking for is a delay that I can store 3 or 4 of my presets for instant recall.  I like the 50's style slapback, a longer analog delay sat back in the mix and maybe a bit of ambient/reverbish.  My amp has no loop so I'm straight in to the front.
No Darling....I've had that ages.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    Wonderful - get one
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited March 2016
    To get the best out of it you need an external pedal. There are two pedals but really 3 necessary functions (on/off, tap tempo, patch change), so in its stock form you have to compromise using a hold button to change function.

edit: just checked the manual there are additional switching modes -http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/DD-20_OM.pdf

I have one and as far as sounds go I think it is great. I would be tempted by the DD500 if buying again though.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    In the US they got sold off cheap when the dd500 came in, doesn't seem to have happened here. The tc X4s have 3 presets so might be worth a look. The 4th footswitch is for tap tempo or one of the looper functions. Always seemed a shame you couldn't opt to use it as a 4th preset if you didn't need tap.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

love mine. its been on and off the board for about 6 years now, but I keep going back to it.

been tempted by dd500/nemesis/timeline ... but this is old faithful.

Very easy to use. sounds as good as you need it too. reliable as hell.
    was devastated when I thought it had broke a while back (it hadn't, I was being a spoon)

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Would you use the extra options and tweakability of the dd500? If not, the dd20 is fantastic. Simple and sounds great.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    edited March 2016
    The switching is the issue. As @guitarfishbay said, unless you get an external pedal you have to faff around holding switches down for a second or two to change their function.

Personally I'd look at the DD500 which has a third footswitch.  I think it also has a smaller footprint.

Based on my experience I'd avoid the TC stuff like the plague.  I had two Nova Delays die on me.  We've also had some TC Helicon vocal monitors at my church that have had real reliability problems.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 413
    crunchman said:
    The switching is the issue. As @guitarfishbay said, unless you get an external pedal you have to faff around holding switches down for a second or two to change their function.

Personally I'd look at the DD500 which has a third footswitch.  I think it also has a smaller footprint.

I do have a Boss F/S that I bought from Waz that I could use with the DD20.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    I really dislike the physical format of the DD-500 so if I want a more complex Boss delay it will be no contest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TitchTitch Frets: 46
    It'll do what you want it to do and it stores four presets,I've had one on my board for three or four years and it's been totally reliable running off a Voodoo Lab 2. 
    Looks like a DD20 is the order of the day then.  That'll save a few quid.
  • Or you could buy the empress I have

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

LOL, Kudos for persistance   :)
    You didn't tell me how much it was...
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1007
    I'm selling a dd20 in the classifieds if you're after one. I use my Helix now for all my delays (and everything else).

The dd20 is a great 'meat and potatoes' delay. A lot of useful sounds and options but in a very practical simple package. Plus I always prefer the larger stomp paddles on the old boss pedals to the new smaller switches that everyone uses these days.
    edited March 2016
    @hansomerik PM'd mate  ;)
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Surprised that no-one has mentioned the Digitech Timebender yet. Not used one myself but every report I have read has been positive.
    DD20 acquired  :)   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    DD20 is great...you wont regret it. I bought one a few months ago for the similar reasons you mentioned.

then i discovered that my default setting is now Warp mode...normal delay, but then hold down the pedal and you get the oscilation thing going...its a great little tool to use in transition parts...well, for me anyway.

the tape delay is also really good.
    Sounds good @Branshen, I shall give that a go when it arrives.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

good lad, you know it makes sence