Popular Bands You Just Dont Get!

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Oh, and don't string me up but - the Rolling Stones.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Van Halen
    I gave you a LOL for that. Are you SERIOUS?!

Hendrix
    But I'm right there with you on that one.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And 'obvs' The Eagles - dreary, bland, irrelevant nonesense....
    Their rock songs are great. Their country stuff is shite. I love a bit of "Life In the Fast Lane" or "Hotel California", but the country stuff... eww.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    StefB said:
    Kasabian.

And I'm probably in a minority of one in saying that I don't care one jot for Foo Fighters. Yes Dave Grohl is the nicest guy to have ever lived, but I find the music little more than shouting over thrashy, white noise open chords. 
    I used to feel the same way about Foos until "In Your Honor", then something just clicked for me. Now the only album of theirs I can't listen to is the self-titled one.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    Radiohead
    Muse
    Eric Crapton 
    Stereophonics (Post Stuart Cable)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9961
    edited March 2016
    StefB;1021002" said:
    Kasabian.

And I'm probably in a minority of one in saying that I don't care one jot for Foo Fighters. Yes Dave Grohl is the nicest guy to have ever lived, but I find the music little more than shouting over thrashy, white noise open chords. 
    I'll join you in that minority too, I don't get the love in with the band or Grohl to be honest. The music sounds generic "rock" chord bashing, and formulaic in that they seen to sing a verse and chorus, then at the end just shout what they'd previously tried to sing.

Funny how different stuff triggers such clear cut reactions from different folks isn't it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23428
    edited March 2016
    Octahedron said:
    Van Halen

Depends what period you're talking about.  I think they've been generally shite from OU812 onwards.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Hendrix
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72858
    Bucket said:
    And I don't really get ZZ Top, I find it a bit dull and I don't like Billy Gibbons's playing that much.
    Agreed. Never understood why Billy Gibbons' tone is so rated either - nasal and irritating.

Van Halen
    I have to agree. Eddie is a massively important guitar player, but the band… meh.

Hendrix
    But I'm right there with you on that one.
    So you get Van Halen, but not Hendrix? There would be no Van Halen without Hendrix…

And 'obvs' The Eagles - dreary, bland, irrelevant nonesense....
    Their rock songs are great. Their country stuff is shite. I love a bit of "Life In the Fast Lane" or "Hotel California", but the country stuff... eww.
    I like their early country-rock stuff with Bernie Leadon, but they got great when Don Felder joined. The proof that he was somehow the most important member of the band is what happened after he left - despite Joe Walsh still being there, and the Henley/Frey songwriting, they turned into a fourth-rate country band.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3073
    Can I pick an entire genre?...if so......

The Blues.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    RobDavies said:
    Can I pick an entire genre?...if so......

The Blues.
    Hiphop/Rap music, there's no redeeming that sh*te
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    edited March 2016
    eSully said:
    I'd rather listen to Public Enemy than Kasabian, Foo Fighters, Muse or any other recycled rock music. I generally find there's good stuff in any genre. And rubbish too. And there's a lot of sub-standard rock about these days.
    eSully said:
    I'd rather listen to Public Enemy than Kasabian, Foo Fighters, Muse or any other recycled rock music. I generally find there's good stuff in any genre. And rubbish too. And there's a lot of sub-standard rock about these days.
    Probably not a popular choice but it's a genre I just can't get on with.
    Here's a controversial one… I've listened to their most famous studio and live albums several times in an attempt to understand why they're so rated, but I still just don't get

The Band

Tedious, weary and uninspiring. They were OK backing Bob Dylan, but that's because he's one of the greatest songwriters ever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Watch The Last Waltz.

Brilliant. Especially the bit where Clapton's guitar strap breaks and Robbie Robertson takes over the solo.
    Watch The Last Waltz.

Brilliant. Especially the bit where Clapton's guitar strap breaks and Robbie Robertson takes over the solo.
    I have, more than once. I think the last time I gave up about half way through… just boring. They were good as sidemen.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Most (but not all) chart stuff since, er, I was going to say 1980 'cos I really did get very little of it, but then I remembered New Wave, Punk, Disco, The Osmonds and all the other shite that happened in the 1970s ... then there was the 1960s stuff: we remember the good things like Hendrix, Cream etc but there was also a lot of dross that has been mainly forgotten except if you're in a band playing the CIU affiliated working men's clubs and then you have to play it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Philly_Q said:
    Octahedron said:
    Van Halen

Depends what period you're talking about.  I think they've been generally shite from OU812 onwards.
    The Sammy Hagar era was shite. I would agree with that. If Van Halen only ever existed in their Van Hagar form, they wouldn't be as famous as they are now. 

I can't listen to any of the Hagar-era albums. I don't even care that EVH played on them. They were utter shite. 

EVH and DLR was one of the perfect musical harmonies of the 80s. 
    New Wave, Punk, Disco, The Osmonds and all the other shite that happened in the 1970s ... 
    I love all of the above.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 925

Absolutely the Rolling Stones

Foo Fighters

Can't believe people are saying Radiohead though? The Bends is one of the best guitar albums ever IMO. And although I don't like all of their output after OK Computer (which is seminal), I can appreciate it for what it is.