12346»

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3926
    Adele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Jamiroquai
    Maroon 5

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    nirvana.

Do not get it at all.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33839
    U2.

Just does absolutely nothing for me.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Ah yeah - forgot about Kasabian. Music for lads mag readers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited April 2016

the stones because jagger is a total fake and a douche.

oasis and blur.
    hermans hermits and the dave clark five thirty years too late.

clash and libertines.
    the clash were clueless fake-punk-by-numbers shite, so consequently the libertines couldn't really be anything but shite 2.0

all so-called skater punk, eg. green day , etc. the monkees on red bull.

pink floyd after sid flew the coup (probably literally). bourgeois fakes for bourgeois fakes.

queen. i love brian may's tone on a few of their songs, credit where it's due, but they are basically well-marketed panto-rock crap for the trolls. playing the queen's birthday party pissed away any hope of them ever being remembered fondly by anyone with good judgement.

dire straits. 'dire' to their friends.

prog rock in general (genesis and elp in particular). the mouldy bread from which the life-saving penicillin of punk and post-punk grew.

coldplay because they are coldplay.

the list is endless...

in defence of adele, though i don't own any of her albums and have probably only heard a dozen of her songs (not my scene but can definitely appreciate them for what they are), i love her spirit and character. i think she's a stand out personality in a sea of dross and a great role model for up and coming artists, especially young female artists, for whom the easy-money tits-and-ass option must be constantly shoved under their noses by seedy and exploitative industry execs.
    one of my favourite recent mainstream moments was adele giving the music industry establishment the finger at the brits when they cut her off in mid acceptance speech.

she had sweated blood and tears, at a relatively young age, to produce an entire album of her own songs, under her own steam, that connected massively with the hopes, dreams, sadnesses, etc, of the record buying public, keeping a lot of those record industry parasites in expensive meals and chauffeured cars for years to come as an indirect consequence. and she gets a platform of ten rushed seconds to publically thank all those who helped her along the way by way of recognition.
    i'd feel very 'f*ck all of you' in that situation too. obscene ingratitude and lack of respect shown towards her by the bloated and parasitic industry her tireless efforts help to keep in business.

her killer classy touch was accompanying the finger with the promise that she would be back next year to finish unfinished business, which of course she was, bigger and bolder than ever before.

so you have to respect her spirit and recognise she is fighting the same battle that all the greats fight at some fundamental level; art v business, integrity v selling out, individuality v corporate whore, etc. she's fighting the good fight and she's doing it in style.

even if you dismiss the music, don't dismiss the woman. she's a good one.

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7842
    edited April 2016
    I loved that bit in the recent BBC programme when she pretended to be an Adele tribute singer, the looks on the faces of the others was priceless.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    I had thought I'd risen above this X_X but on the radio last night : The Pet Shop Boys. A band without any virtues but with massive success. Somehow. I remember being in Cancun and hearing them played in a bar - how far do you have to go to get away from them?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited April 2016
    Step out of their pet shop?
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    Frank Zappa. I know he was a brilliant musician. I know his band were all great players. I know he was incredibly creative. I just don't want to listen to it. I could listen to him speak all day long. Just not his music.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Just thought of another! NIRVANA.

OK. I confess I actually do like two of their songs (Lithium, and Smells Like Teen Spirit) but I still don't *get* them.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • ICBM said:
    Jamiroquai

I love the idea of Jamiroquai - Nice jazzy, funky band evoking the best of 70's Stevie Wonder and Chic-era disco......but they fall massively short. And, also, their music is recorded really weirdly, strangely compressed to strangle the life out of it. Back in the days before computerised music players, when our customers had CD's that I had to compile and mix myself, it was a beast of a job finding tracks that could sit either side of a Jamiroquai song in such a way that the Jamiroquai song didn't sound dull and distant in between them.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27221
    tabbycat said:

oasis and blur.

clash and libertines.
    the clash were clueless fake-punk-by-numbers shite, so consequently the libertines couldn't really be anything but shite 2.0

pink floyd after sid flew the coup (probably literally). bourgeois fakes for bourgeois fakes.

queen. i love brian may's tone on a few of their songs, credit where it's due, but they are basically well-marketed panto-rock crap for the trolls. playing the queen's birthday party pissed away any hope of them ever being remembered fondly by anyone with good judgement.

prog rock in general (genesis and elp in particular). the mouldy bread from which the life-saving penicillin of punk and post-punk grew.

coldplay because they are coldplay.

the list is endless...

in defence of adele, though i don't own any of her albums and have probably only heard a dozen of her songs (not my scene but can definitely appreciate them for what they are), i love her spirit and character. i think she's a stand out personality in a sea of dross and a great role model for up and coming artists, especially young female artists, for whom the easy-money tits-and-ass option must be constantly shoved under their noses by seedy and exploitative industry execs.
    one of my favourite recent mainstream moments was adele giving the music industry establishment the finger at the brits when they cut her off in mid acceptance speech.

she had sweated blood and tears, at a relatively young age, to produce an entire album of her own songs, under her own steam, that connected massively with the hopes, dreams, sadnesses, etc, of the record buying public, keeping a lot of those record industry parasites in expensive meals and chauffeured cars for years to come as an indirect consequence. and she gets a platform of ten rushed seconds to publically thank all those who helped her along the way by way of recognition.
    i'd feel very 'f*ck all of you' in that situation too. obscene ingratitude and lack of respect shown towards her by the bloated and parasitic industry her tireless efforts help to keep in business.

her killer classy touch was accompanying the finger with the promise that she would be back next year to finish unfinished business, which of course she was, bigger and bolder than ever before.

so you have to respect her spirit and recognise she is fighting the same battle that all the greats fight at some fundamental level; art v business, integrity v selling out, individuality v corporate whore, etc. she's fighting the good fight and she's doing it in style.

even if you dismiss the music, don't dismiss the woman. she's a good one.

So music, then, basically? 

As for Adele, I have no problem with her, but every single song on 21 had at least 1 co-writer. I'm sure she wrote a big chunk of it, but don't be under any illusions - it wasn't a solo effort.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Pretty much all Metallica post the Black album, seriously did they have a band meeting and decide they didn't like being the biggest metal band in the world - I just don't get any of it from Load on forwards - it's shite!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Re Adele. I quite liked a lot of 21, some good songs and the instrumentation was classic sounding and down to earth, which helped it have some gravitas.

The latest stuff I've heard is bombastic drivel IMO. If not quite yet at cruise ship levels then is certainly far too close to Vegas residency Celine Dion style.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    To be honest, it would be easier for me to list the popular acts I do like and even then, I don't like all of their work!
    That's right. I'm indier than the lot of yer! ;-)
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12944
    tabbycat said:

oasis and blur.

clash and libertines.

Its weird how you can be so, so, so right about Floyd/Queen/Prog/Dire Straits/The Stones and yet so utterly, cluelessly, wrong about The Clash :P 
  • quarky said:
    Madness - Boring lyrics,

Totally disagree! Hey, each to their own... One more for my list: Primal Scream
    WTF!!!!! Screamadelica is a stone classic!!!
  • OK this should be fun. 

I am sure the Smiths and Dylan are good but they've never done it for me......

Other than that -

Metal. No need. 
    Jazz. No need. 
    Cricket - why even bother.....

Queen, Rush and Muse - calm down lads - just play one song at a time. 
    Iron Maiden, Guns and Roses, Slip Knot, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Smashing Pumkins - come and have a hug - it'll be alright. 
    Joe Bonassa (or whatever he's called), Yngwie Maelstrom, Stevie Vai, Jeff Beck - stop showing off - how about a tune.....