Trace Elliot Spares?

martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
in Amps tFB Trader
Anyone know where I might be able to get a new mains transformer for a Trace Elliot AH-500 12 bass amp?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Pretty sure you'll only get one from the US now. No one took on the distribution or service when Peavey closed. I think Peavey US will supply you though.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Well worth asking these guys - http://www.electronicmusicservices.co.uk/ - I was pointed at them by Peavey when I had a query with my Trace TA50R.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited April 2016
    Weird double post.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I'd be surprised if there isn't an Ashdown unit that would do the job.
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    This guy, Chris Goodwin is International Customer Service Manager, has been very helpful in the past  

From: customerservice@traceelliot.com [mailto:customerservice@traceelliot.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, March 2, 2016 8:33 PM
    To: Dave Hunter
    Subject: RE: Trace Eliott TE 715X

Chris Goodwin

Trace Elliot International Customer Service Manager

-------- Original Message --------

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    Is it a Toroid Audio P/N TI-053010B, Peavey PTE-TX002?

If so I have one spare.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Is it a Toroid Audio P/N TI-053010B, Peavey PTE-TX002?

If so I have one spare.

It's not a Peavey-ownership amp, it's a 99 model, pre all that.

I wonder if it would be the same though. If so, I'm very interested.

I'll have a look for a part number shortly. I do remember it's made by Demeter Windings.

Thanks for the other pointers too. :)

There's a chap I work for who has a shed full of old Trace gear, I'm pretty sure there's at least one dead older AH500 in there - not sure of the age, but between this and that it's possible there will be something that fits - I'll ask him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2016 tFB Trader

That would be great. I'm happy to pay a decent price as my customer wants his amp back again!

Here's a pic of the offending article:

Part No appears to be 72-TRAN-500-1299

It has 5 secondaries.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    Demeter Windings are still in business? Located in Chelmsford Essex.
    martinw said:

Here's a pic of the offending article:

Part No appears to be 72-TRAN-500-1299

It has 5 secondaries.

Bugger… I'm almost certain all the old dead ones are blocks not toroids, but I can find out for sure in a few days.

This one doesn't look quite right either - four secondaries:

275V
    85V no centre tap
    16V-0-16V
    16V-0-16V

(Approx, measured with 24V on the primary.)

I've also got one out of a Warwick, but it looks like it might be too large a diameter to fit in that amp even if the secondaries were right, and I think the amp was only a 300-watter.

May be best to contact Demeter, although if they have to wind something that's out of production it might not be cheap.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    We had a Gallien-Krueger bass amp in church that had a toroidal power transformer go.  The repair place we use said they couldn't get a replacement.  We ended up getting another amp.  Why can't they use something off the shelf?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    crunchman said:
    We had a Gallien-Krueger bass amp in church that had a toroidal power transformer go.  The repair place we use said they couldn't get a replacement.  We ended up getting another amp.  Why can't they use something off the shelf?
    You often can, or use a transformer from another manufacturer.

The cynical view might be that the repair shop had enough work on that they didn't want to go to the effort of trying to find a replacement.

Getting a unit custom wound isn't that expensive either.
    tFB Trader
    I'm going to make some calls today. If I can't find one in stock I shall be getting a custom wound unit made.
    I very much doubt Demeter hold any stock, but they might have spec available.
    I know the problem. It can sometimes be tricky to get a replacement that matches all of the combinations of secondary voltages in a multi-winding transformer, and which physically fits as well - although that's usually easier with toroids.

It's why I keep the transformers from anything I've scrapped - unless I've got multiples (eg Marshall DFX…) - even though they're actually one of the less likely parts to fail in a modern amp.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    If Demeter have no stock it's also possible they have no new formers either, but rewinding the burnt out original should be a possibility.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    jpfamps said:
    crunchman said:
    You often can, or use a transformer from another manufacturer.

The cynical view might be that the repair shop had enough work on that they didn't want to go to the effort of trying to find a replacement.

Getting a unit custom wound isn't that expensive either.
    That particular amp was only around £300 new, so it probably wasn't worth going to too much expense on.
    tFB Trader

Well I phoned Demeter Windings, and they are making a new transformer for the amp. The price is very reasonable, so all's well that ends well.

:)

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Complete and utter necro thread bump, but I have a trace 1210 with a blown power tx, can you pop me a message @martinw and let me know if/ how I can obtain one :-)
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    @ICBM still have one spare? Lol