Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Postmodern Journeyman guitars?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
The spec of those current Fender Postmodern Journeyman looks fantastic - a vintage vibe with big frets and other modern playing enhancements.

But at 2.5k and up they are a bit at the keen end of the price scale.

Anything similar further down the range?

Also anyone got one? Be cool to hear some thoughts
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited April 2016
    fire whoever dreamt up that name

What exactly is different about it from numerous other models, for example the american deluxe HSS strat or american standard with the shawbucker? Sounds like another rename or rebrand of the same thing. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Loobs said:
    fire whoever dreamt up that name

What exactly is different about it from numerous other models, for example the american deluxe HSS strat or american standard with the shawbucker? Sounds like another rename or rebrand of the same thing. 
    Well, for a start, the Journeyman guitars are lightly aged and broadly based on vintage specs, which is completely different from both of the guitars you mentioned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    have played a few now and without exception they have been fantastic. modern playability with vintage vibe. perfect for me personally. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    Off the top of my head (although I am no Fender oracle) the good old CP Strat or the Vintage Hot Rods are the other ones that do something similar.

For me the CP would be good enough if it had a more interesting neck profile and big frets. 

But yes I agree the 'postmodern journeyman' moniker is a bit.....much.

Great looking guitars though.
    Red ones are better. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    Avantgarde Tyro would have been a better name.

Especially for an android PI in some sort of anachronistic dieselpunk sitcom.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I might be swimming against the tide in this one but I generally think that a good std strat with say some bare knuckles and a pro set up pretty much can run close any custom shop guitar for half the money. Gibson on the other hand sees a great difference between the stds and the custom shops
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    frictionfraction;1025474" said:
    I might be swimming against the tide in this one but I generally think that a good std strat with say some bare knuckles and a pro set up pretty much can run close any custom shop guitar for half the money. Gibson on the other hand sees a great difference between the stds and the custom shops
    Wow totally feel the opposite. A good custom shop Fender is light years ahead of a standard. In fact, I think nobody makes Strat/Tele pickups better than Fender (I have Abbey handwounds in mine and have never heard a better strat pickup).there might be better singlecoils out there but nobody can make a strat sound like a strat better than the creators! I think that CS guitars can sound like an old, played instrument with real character and soul when done right.

A standard is still a great guitar by the way, no question but it's not in the same league
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mesatelemesatele Frets: 27

I like the look of them except the shape of the bridge plate bugs me a little.

I can't get my head around the relic guitar thing on the usual CS teles but I like the gently aged finish on these.

The Twisted tele neck pickup is great, there's one in the Baja tele, I wonder what the bridge pickup is like?.

• xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    @TimmyO I though they were very good when I checked a couple out last year. Here's the review: http://www.guitar-bass.net/gear/postmodern-love-fender-custom-shop-postmodern-journeyman-relic-stratocaster-telecaster-review/
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5050
    edited April 2016
    Adamski said:
    frictionfraction;1025474" said:
    I might be swimming against the tide in this one but I generally think that a good std strat with say some bare knuckles and a pro set up pretty much can run close any custom shop guitar for half the money. Gibson on the other hand sees a great difference between the stds and the custom shops
    Wow totally feel the opposite. A good custom shop Fender is light years ahead of a standard. In fact, I think nobody makes Strat/Tele pickups better than Fender (I have Abbey handwounds in mine and have never heard a better strat pickup).there might be better singlecoils out there but nobody can make a strat sound like a strat better than the creators! I think that CS guitars can sound like an old, played instrument with real character and soul when done right.

A standard is still a great guitar by the way, no question but it's not in the same league
    This. There's no comparison between a US Standard and a CS guitar, IMHO. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Aren't they just a rebadged but more pricey version of some of the custom shop pro models of the past few years?
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    musteatbrain;1025653" said:
    Aren't they just a rebadged but more pricey version of some of the custom shop pro models of the past few years?

Yeah.

Bigger frets and 9.5 radius and shit pickups. That's what you're getting for your money!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    TimmyO said:
    The spec of those current Fender Postmodern Journeyman looks fantastic - a vintage vibe with big frets and other modern playing enhancements.

Squier Classic Vibe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    musteatbrain;1025653" said:
    Aren't they just a rebadged but more pricey version of some of the custom shop pro models of the past few years?

Yeah.

Bigger frets and 9.5 radius and shit pickups. That's what you're getting for your money!
    Compound radius.
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    TimmyO said:

Squier Classic Vibe.
    I really like the basses - the neck on th one I tried was horribly meh - preferred the CP Strat (not sure if it's a different profile or just the slightly flatter board or what) 
    Red ones are better. 
    so they are basically Squire Classic Vibes with a setup?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love one - couldn't pay over 2k for one though! The non 'journeyman finish' post
    modern model is a few hundred quid cheaper though, but it's otherwise the same guitar. Still over 2 grand though.

It's got a lot of desirable features - it looks like a vintage instrument, has a compound radius, has I'm sure brilliant puckups so there's no temptation to change them, has a nitro finish, top hardware and will be made brilliantly.

About the comment about the USA strat with bareknuckles ...

I have a CS relic strat and used to have a USA standard with bareknuckles! The USA was great, but the neck on my CS strat is a bit nicer - it's very very comfortable has a lovely worn in feel on the back and a slightly fatter profile. My CS strat is lighter in weight than the USA I had , but that could have been the other way around!
    The pickups, the bareknuckles mothers milks were brighter the CS60 relic pickups ... I didn't switch pickups between the guitars or anything, so maybe it's more accurate to say the CS strat was darker sounding, but had a more impressive tone - slightly less obviously a strat but just more interesting. But yeah, obviously a USA strat is all anyone needs, but the CS strat I have is quite a bit nicer than the USA strat I had.

I'd love to have a post modern in a few years if one popped up secondhand!
    Why come in to a thread about a type of guitar you don't know the spec of (so I suspect haven't touched) and say it's crap.

Click another thread, go be positive about something you can contribute to :-/ pfft 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    TimmyO said:
    Off the top of my head (although I am no Fender oracle) the good old CP Strat or the Vintage Hot Rods are the other ones that do something similar.
    I thought they'd dropped the Classic Player when I went and looked on the website 'by series' - but it's just well-hidden. The Strat also has a two-point bridge though, which I don't really like.

I wasn't really joking about the Squiers either - although the ones I've played have been extremely variable. But if you get a good one, with some hardware upgrades there would be worryingly little to choose between them and the ones that cost ten times as much...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO;1025747" said:
    johnonguitar said:

Why come in to a thread about a type of guitar you don't know the spec of (so I suspect haven't touched) and say it's crap.

Click another thread, go be positive about something you can contribute to :-/ pfft 

Oh get your head out if your ass. Yeah I didn't realise they were compound radius. Woops. Shoot me.

The last comment was in reference to someone saying that a USA strat with a setup is just as good as CS and ICBM saying that the Classic Vibes were similar on a budget

Maybe you should go have your coffee?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom