Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender Postmodern Journeyman guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    And btw surely the fact that I've played one gives me more to contribute to the thread than having a geeked out encyclopaedic knowledge of its specs?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
    TimmyO;1025747" said:
    johnonguitar said:

so they are basically Squire Classic Vibes with a setup?

Why come in to a thread about a type of guitar you don't know the spec of (so I suspect haven't touched) and say it's crap.

Click another thread, go be positive about something you can contribute to :-/ pfft 

Oh get your head out if your ass. Yeah I didn't realise they were compound radius. Woops. Shoot me.

The last comment was in reference to someone saying that a USA strat with a setup is just as good as CS and ICBM saying that the Classic Vibes were similar on a budget

Maybe you should go have your coffee?
    Fair enough
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    edited April 2016
    To be honest no matter how good the guitar is the name reminds me of those wanky coffees that trendy tossers order loudly in cafes these days...

Yeah, er, double mocca-frocca-chappa-lattechino with fragrant berrie jus and slightly whipped semi-skimmed organic dairy-free cream please...

The sort of coffee that takes 10minutes to make. At peak time.

The sort of coffee that should come with a free punch in the face and a complimentary kick in the balls..

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27066
    impmann said:
    To be honest no matter how good the guitar is the name reminds me of those wanky coffees that trendy tossers order loudly in cafes these days...

Yeah, er, double mocca-frocca-chappa-lattechino with fragrant berrie jus and slightly whipped semi-skimmed organic dairy-free cream please...

The sort of coffee that should come with a free punch in the face and a complimentary kick in the balls..

Noone who actually likes coffee would ever buy that, because it's basically a hot milkshake. 

I get annoyed enough when I ask for a regular size coffee and they ask if that's Venti or Grande. How am I supposed to know?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
    I hadn't realised the 'journeyman' bit meant reliced - I can live without relicing

Red ones are better. 
  • mesatelemesatele Frets: 27

I am wondering, is there currently a Custom Shop guitar available that isn't reliced? I know there is NOS but that is still aged.

Can you buy a pristine immaculate Custom Shop guitar?

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    mesatele said:

I am wondering, is there currently a Custom Shop guitar available that isn't reliced? I know there is NOS but that is still aged.

No, NOS is pristine. The Closet Classic guitars have lacquer checking and a light rub with wire wool (or similar) but no other ageing.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22919
    Brize said:
    mesatele said:

No, NOS is pristine. The Closet Classic guitars have lacquer checking and a light rub with wire wool (or similar) but no other ageing.

And the models with modern hardware - basically higher spec versions of Fender USA models - are generally not aged.

And of course you could do a custom order and have it however you like.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    to call  something as traditional and classic as a Stratocaster 'postmodern' is pretty silly, in my opinion.

Maybe something like a Teuffel Tesla.
  • I'd like it if they had modern 2 point trems with light relic, that would be more 'postmodern'

They seem to be more like custom shop builders choice, which frankly is a better name.

for such a radical (OTT) name, they're playing it very safe aiming for the CS market for perhaps customers who don't want someone elses tribute model?
  • I know I'm a little late to this discussion but can any of you who've played the fender postmodern journeyman telecasters tell me how the neck feels considering they have a thick coat of laquer on them 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited May 2018
    I know I'm a little late to this discussion but can any of you who've played the fender postmodern journeyman telecasters tell me how the neck feels considering they have a thick coat of laquer on them 
    I played a bunch of them recently back to back with some satin necked Suhr's and Anderson's.

They felt slower- friction was definitely an issue, so I didn't buy one.
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    Tried a lefty Fiesta Red Journeyman Strat, no idea if it was postmodern.
    pile of junk.. really.
    fret buzz 11-21 st fret, choked out on bends, rosewood board super light colour and bone dry .. horrible.
    righty electrics wired anti-clockwise , so totally fkin useless and also righty knobs so that didn't work either.
    nice sticky lacquered neck.
    piece of £2885 shit.
    But it's a Custom Shop so it must be great
    NOT.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Mike58, did you buy it?

From experience and observation, being a postmodern is one of the things that reduces the used price.  A brave choice to buy new unless you are certain you are keeping it.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    impmann said:

As someone that almost only ever orders Espresso and occasionally an Espresso Machiato I’ve long felt that there should be a fast (espresso ?) lane in coffee shops for people who are actually ordering real coffee rather than some stupid, massive cup of mildly coffee flavoured milk..

I remember walking down our local high street with my Italian dad in the mid 90s when coffee shop fever was first taking hold, as we watched all the people coming out with their huge cups he said, very clearly
    ”Cappucino is for Breakfast, or children”

Correct !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Mike58 said:
    Tried a lefty Fiesta Red Journeyman Strat, no idea if it was postmodern.
    pile of junk.. really.
    fret buzz 11-21 st fret, choked out on bends, rosewood board super light colour and bone dry .. horrible.
    righty electrics wired anti-clockwise , so totally fkin useless and also righty knobs so that didn't work either.
    nice sticky lacquered neck.
    piece of £2885 shit.
    But it's a Custom Shop so it must be great
    NOT.
    Which shop?
    Having worked in music retail (long time ago... in the 90's) it is often down to what the shop does when it receives the guitar.
    Most shops unpack the guitar and stick it on the wall.
    Good shops take the guitar out of the box, assess what it needs and does a restring or set up, tweak at the nut and then will offer you another setup as part of the sale.

There seems to be far fewer 'good shops' out there these days.
    I was at a shop here in Geneva a few days ago- not a single guitar I played was intonating well or close to being in tune.
    I pointed this out to the store owner and I got a shoulder shug.

OK, but I'm simply not spending 2-4k on an instrument that plays like a bag of spanners.
    The thing is that there are plenty of people who will, so there is less of an incentive for vendors to up their game.
    If 'we' collectively started complaining about this sort of thing then it is possible that a few retailers would get the message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    octatonic said:

If 'we' collectively started complaining about this sort of thing then it is possible that a few retailers still actually in business would get the message.
    FTFY ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10235
    So this thread is about coffee then huh?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10483
    tFB Trader
    Isn't 'postmodern journeyman' a polite way of saying hipster twat?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    I might be swimming against the tide in this one but I generally think that a good std strat with say some bare knuckles and a pro set up pretty much can run close any custom shop guitar for half the money. Gibson on the other hand sees a great difference between the stds and the custom shops

The Mexican Classic Series (now Vintera) is probably a better bet than the US Standard.  At least it has a proper bridge.

If you can find a good Mexican one, then they can be stunning guitars.  The difference is that you might have to try 10 of them to find a really good one.  With the higher end of the US factory range (AVRI, now American Original), you might have to try 6 of them to find a really good one.  With the Custom Shop guitars, it may be 50% of them that are really good.