essential singer-songwriter albums?

What's Hot

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Lucy Rose - two very different albums, the first is folky and acoustic whereas the second is more indie popish. Both are brilliant

Ezra Furman - loads of great albums both solo and as the singer of his band, the Harpoons. Great lyrics and an interesting mix of rock and roll and punk

SOAK - very interesting modern songwriting without too much production sheen
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    richardhomer;1029118" said:
    [quote="Skarloey;1029093"]@richardhomer Begging to differ on RT.

I think his writing is unquestionably first rate, but after a short while I tire of his voice which I find monotonous.

For me his best work is Shoot Out the Lights. He's not a bad singer but I love his songs sung by a REAL singer if you get me. With someone like Linda Thompson in charge the whole thing goes up a level. Add in his guitar breaks and you've got magic.

But I can see why it made sense for him to go solo.

As he left Linda for his current wife, going solo was probably an inevitability.

Funnily enough, I used to play in a band with someone who hated Thompson's voice - yet was a massive Dylan fan - which always struck me as odd, as neither are great singers in the 'accepted' sense.

I view his singing as a bit like Mark Knopfler's - it suits his songs. I saw him play a solo gig at Gawsworth Hall, a couple of years ago. He played for two hours and was captivating - the only variation being Christine Collister duetting on a couple of songs towards the end.

He's marvellous with an audience - his ahead of its time - mock paean to Donald Trump ('Fergus Lang') was unknown - yet a genius piece of writing - which had the audience singing along by the second chorus.

I've heard The Dimming of the Day covered by Gilmour, Bonnie Raitt and many others - it's a beautiful song by any standard - and like Dylan, sometimes others sing it better (dare I suggest Adele's cover of 'Make You Feel My Love'?) But for me, Richard Thompson always has an authenticity about his delivery, which transcends his vocal limitations.

Clearly, I'm a fan....
    [/quote]

I love From Galway to Graceland, brilliant story song. I knew there were cover versions and made a point to find a few versions on YouTube. Nothing anywhere near as touching as his own versions ( recorded two that I know of). I didn't really know about him for years and I can see why people don't like him - nasal voice and often wiry 'out' guitar- but he does have something.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Not a single Damien Rice mention? One of the best for me especially O and 9 lives.

I'm also a fan of Ed Sheeran.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Don't think anyone's mentioned Jackson Browne yet, having scanned through the thread. So I will. and say "For Everyman" is undoubtedly a classic album, just to name one. :)
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Maybe try Iain Archer's Magnetic North and To The Pine Roots. There's some beautiful acoustic fingerpicking on those two, plus great songwriting.

Jacob Golden's Revenge Songs is another to check out if you like modern singer-songwriter stuff.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5188
    Octahedron said: Ricky Warwick - yeah that guy, the guy from Black Star Riders/Thin Lizzy. Can't remember what his old band was (I think Armored Saint??) but his recently reissued solo albums are great!

The Almighty.

kjdowd said: Beth Orton as well.
    Kinda like her- very fond memories of discovering her first album (first proper album anyway-
    Trailer Park) via my then girlfriend, but I haven't ever been able to really love her music because I can't quite get past her weirdly off-key singing and irritating stair-stepping way of singing adjacent notes. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Laura Nyro: "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" and "New York Tendaberry"
  • John Hiatt Bring the Family.
    Bobby Charles self titled 1972 solo album.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    octatonic said:
    Smog.
    I see your Smog and raise you Bill Callaham, guy is a fkn genius.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1002
    Damien Rice - O album
  • stratologystratology Frets: 181
    Tori Amos - Under the Pink
    Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
    Aimee Man - Bachelor No. 2
    Regina Spektor - Live in London
    June Tabor - Aleyn

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5188
    stratology said: Tori Amos - Under the PinkTori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
    Aimee Man - Bachelor No. 2Regina Spektor - Live in London
    June Tabor - Aleyn

Ack. Tori Amos. If you must I suppose. I couldn't ever really get in to her music (ex-Mrs_bob was an obsessive fan, which didn't help) or her singing style, which can be summarized as "when one must sing a vowel sound, one must sing
    all the vowel sounds".

That said, "I Can't See New York" from Scarlet's Walk is fantastic. Up there with the most heartbreaking post-9/11 songs. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    not_the_dj;1029034" said:
    thecolourbox said:

Are most of these guitar based or are any keys based?

Carole King - Tapestry is a piano LP.
    I heard a couple of tracks off this yesterdayas it happened, very busy piano work although some 70's fusion guitar work cropping up as well. Reminded me a bit of Elton John - wether you count him as a singer songwriter I'm not sure but his early stuff would fit in well with some of the other choices on here.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited April 2016
    A few people have already mentioned

Damien Rice - O
    Nick Drake - Pink Moon
    Jeff Buckley
    Elliot Smith - XO

Laura Marling - I speak because I can

A few lesser known but worth checking out.

Mic Christopher - Skylarking 
    Irish fretboarders may have heard of it and know the song Heyday from the Guinness advert. This is a cracking album.

Duke Special - Adventures in Gramophone
    One of the best gigs I've been too was this guy in a small cafe in Uplands, Swansea. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27388
    No-one has said David Ford yet cos no-one knows who he is, but he's excellent.

And +1 for Ryan Adams and Beck's Morning Phase
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    Tori Amos - Under the Pink
    Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
    Aimee Man - Bachelor No. 2
    Regina Spektor - Live in London
    June Tabor - Aleyn

Scarlet's walk is her last great album, never liked Under the pink, too much solo piano. From the Choirgirl hotel is my personal fav. 
    No Fiona Apple? her first two albums are amazing. You may like Angela Mccluskey, try The Things We Do. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9778
    Ralph McTell - he's better than Streets of London would have you believe.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Paul_C said:
    some great acoustic singer-songwriters (IMHO):

Sam Phillips
    Jonatha Brooke
    Juliet Turner
    Boo Hewerdine

Boo was in the excellent band the Bible ... his CDs can be downloaded on iTunes for £5.99. Well worth a listen.

John Martyn's early albums are a must listen to ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
    Harry Nilsson - Lots of great stuff from the late-60s through to the early-70s...big fan of Aerial Ballet
    John Cale - Paris 1919
    Lou Reed - New York
    Mary Margaret O'Hara - Miss America

More recent...

Mark Eitzel - Caught In A Trap And I Can't Back Out, 'Cause I Love You Too Much, Baby
    Vic Chesnutt - West Of Rome
    Jim O'Rourke - Insignificance

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • No-one has said David Ford yet cos no-one knows who he is, but he's excellent.

And +1 for Ryan Adams and Beck's Morning Phase

Saw him live a few years ago as support for Teddy Hompson in Bridport. Very good.