Should AC/DC call it a day??

What's Hot

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited April 2016 tFB Trader

Well, it's now official...Axl is in   :( :x 

As I said:   NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!!!

Shall be putting my tickets up for sale.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    edited April 2016
    I can't believe they have done that. Madness.

I feel lik burning my SG in protest.
    ;)

I had heard they were a bunch of corporate dicks these days but this kinda proves it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23093
    "AC/DC band members would like to thank Brian Johnson for his contributions and dedication to the band throughout the years. We wish him all the best with his hearing issues and future ventures. As much as we want this tour to end as it started, we understand, respect and support Brian's decision to stop touring and save his hearing."

That sounds very much like thanks... and goodbye.  :(
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    My gast is flabbered.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    edited April 2016
    Thing is, AC/DC are hardly current......

And they're never going to release an Unlugged album- would be very confusing.

(Taxi!)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Aaaannnd then, I predict Axl will start insisting on them adding G&R songs, Angus will say no, and voila!  This will be going in circles for longer than I care to follow it. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

Aaaannnd then, I predict Axl will start insisting on them adding G&R songs, Angus will say no, and voila!  This will be going in circles for longer than I care to follow it. 
    He would do that if he stayed, but I assume (hope!) it's a temporary arrangement.  

There are loads of musicians in the "classic rock" world who juggle two (or more) bands nowadays, but these two bands are still way too big to do that, surely?
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Not interested in the fans, purely making money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not an affishonado of AC/DC but I don't think axle rose should sing for them.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I'm a huge AC/DC fan. I heard the rumour a while ago too but dismissed it as rubbish...

Not sure what to make of this now. I think I'd prefer that they chose this point to bow out and hang up their gear to be honest. I saw them at Hampden back a few months ago and they were still awesome but without Brian now I really don't think it would be the same show / feel. But I'm kind of intrigued at the same time. Axl was a brilliant frontman in his day and I hope it works, but I'm definitely glad that I got to see them so close to Brian retiring, that's for sure.

One thing which does become clear from all this is that Angus Young is a pretty ruthless businessman.  Totally focused on the band, my way or the highway.  It slightly goes against the "just an ordinary bloke who likes a beer and a ciggie" image (I know he doesn't actually drink and didn't set out to deliberately create that image!).

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    Yeah it does seem like that. Very formal and business like press releases / statements about this. Doesn't have the tone I'd expected to be reading at all.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    Paul_C said:
    All being well I will see The Levellers at a festival this September I have no idea of the band member names or to what extent they have an original line up. As long as they play the songs I recognise in roughly the kind of way I expect I'll be happy (ie not reworked them as minimalist electro funk).

wiki says :
    Current members
    • Mark Chadwick - lead vocals, guitar, banjo, harmonica (1988–present)
    • Jeremy "Jez" Cunningham - bass guitar, guitar, bouzouki, backing vocals (1988–present)
    • Charlie Heather - drums, percussion (1988–present)
    • Jonathan "Jon" Sevink - fiddle, violin, tin whistle, sequencer, sample loop (1988–present)
    • Simon Friend - guitar, banjo, mandolin, harmonica, vocals (1990–present)
    • Matt Savage - keyboards, backing vocals (2003–present)
    Former members
    • David Buckmeister - guitar (1988-1989)
    • Alan Miles - guitar, mandolin, harmonica, vocals (1989-1990)

so pretty much the same line up since the beginning bar a couple of brief changes and one who's only been in the band for 13 years.

I've seen the Levellers loads of times. In their prime, amazing live. Really really top drawer.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    StanleyAccrington;1040786" said:
    I'm not an affishonado of English.
    FTFY
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    edited April 2016
    Well it will sound like this:

Previously known as stevebrum
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Philly_Q said:
    One thing which does become clear from all this is that Angus Young is a pretty ruthless businessman.  Totally focused on the band, my way or the highway to hell .  It slightly goes against the "just an ordinary bloke who likes a beer and a ciggie" image (I know he doesn't actually drink and didn't set out to deliberately create that image!).

FTFY
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • vizviz Frets: 10721
    StanleyAccrington;1040786" said:
    I'm not an affishonado of Spanish.
    FTFY

FTFY
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
    edited April 2016
    Some thoughts...

There's a lot of money riding on the AC/DC tour dates for band, for crew, venues, sound and light etc. Probably would cost a lot of people not just the band a lot of money if the dates weren't fulfilled 

The video above sounds pretty much like AC/DC to me but with Axl singing and doing as good a job as Brian has managed in recent years so they could be good shows if Axl sticks to singing and doesn't screw them up in some way or another

I am surprised that Axl is up for it and also that the other G&R guys are happy for him to do it this year of all years. I suspect it (and the presence of post breakup songs) indicates who is calling the shots with G&R

Angus is really small isn't he?
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I think Brian has been a huge part of ACDC since he joined, and if there's any truth at all in Angus forcing him out then Angus is a cu*t
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    This will work, much better than you expect it to.  Axl's best asset is his vocal range and anyone who has tried to sing AC/DC will tell you how high pitched the singing is. I dont think this is a long term solution. 

A shame that it looks like Brian is gone for good.  The band can carry on, Chris Slade is a far better drummer than Phil and the live shows since he has returned are a much more energetic and purposeful.  Perhaps a new singer will add some life to the writing process, god knows we have had enough songs with the word Rock in them.

Get a new singer, release an album and then lets decide if it the end.