Any boxing fans on here

What's Hot

Comments

• celentium said:
    Cheers @Placidcasual79, I tried to award you a wisdom forgetting I already had and it removed it and wouldn't re add. I've awarded a "wow" instead sorry! 

We'll definitely keep the boxing chat up as the boxing forums are fairly hostile to say the least! 
    Indeed - there are many here amongst us..... forum member @DrCornelius actually boxed at York Hall!!! 

This thread for future fights then. I am going to start by predicting Kovalev will beat Ward in the June rematch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7176
    Yeah but I got well beat ! (at least I did the first time)

I don't follow it as much now, back in the old days it was the Ring, Boxing news and boxing monthly. I was obsessed.  Nowadays mates invite me to watch 'big fights' at the pub and I've no idea who the 2 blokes are half the time :-)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Do you guys think Carl Frampton is the greatest modern day boxer in his weigh class?
  • He's top of the featherweight rankings at the moment - but I am not sure. There are some fine British fighters at his weight - Lee Selby, Josh Warrington and Scott Quigg (who he narrowly beat). 

There are also some other superb fighters in the division - Jesus Cuellar, Abner Mares and Gary Russell Jnr. 

Lee Selby is my personal favourite. He lacks Frampton's work rate but has greater power and more skill - he is an avoided fighter imo. 

Also, just below Frampton's weight division is pound for pound contender, the outrageously talented Vasyl Lomachenko - who has the ability to make any of the above look like rank novices........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Do you guys think Carl Frampton is the greatest modern day boxer in his weigh class?
    Very talented fighter but didn't he lose his last rematch fight with Santa Cruz?
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Yup, disappointing performance from Frampton too. Lomachenko is a super feather at the mo, he's above Frampton in weight :)
  • Great sport... watching poor people beat the bag out of each other in front of their families... loved by a sociopathic population that think its an artform... shame on anyone who watches it...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    duotone said:
    Very talented fighter but didn't he lose his last rematch fight with Santa Cruz?
    Yeah he did.  I think he's great though, and will probably be the next Barry McGuigan.  
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 982
    edited May 2017
    duotone said:
    Yeah he did.  I think he's great though, and will probably be the next Barry McGuigan.  
    He is a good fighter - Leo Santa Cruz is a very good fighter too. I think he'll be in great fights for years to come as there are plenty of good fighters in and around his weight division. I don't think he is an elite level fighter and neither was McGuigan but I am sure he'll be a great champion.  

@celentium - yes sorry your quite right regarding Lomachenko. I meant if Frampton goes up. How do you rate Lomachenko? In the ten years I've followed the sport I don't think Ive seen better foot work. 
    It's ok, there are a lot of weight classes! I think Loma is the future P4P king (I think he's there already but needs the good fights to prove it).

The way he stays in the pocket whilst avoiding shots and landing his own, it's amazing to watch.

Some people hold the Salido loss against him but Salido turned up heavy and spent the fight leading with his head and throwing low blows. Hell of a welcome to professional prize fighting! 
  • celentium said:
    It's ok, there are a lot of weight classes! I think Loma is the future P4P king (I think he's there already but needs the good fights to prove it).

The way he stays in the pocket whilst avoiding shots and landing his own, it's amazing to watch.

Some people hold the Salido loss against him but Salido turned up heavy and spent the fight leading with his head and throwing low blows. Hell of a welcome to professional prize fighting! 
    I agree - he is an incredible watch - I've never seen a fighter change angles so radically and so quickly whilst staying in pocket before. I really thought the Walters fight might have been a good test, but that was a disappointment. In my view Walters quit because he couldn't hit Lomachenko. 
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    @celentium and @Placidcasual79 ;

I've not seen Lomachenko in action yet but I've heard great things, how does he compare to Mayweather while in the pocket?

What do you guys think of Guillermo Rigondeaux? He was chasing Frampton for quite a while...

• Brad said:
    @celentium and @Placidcasual79 ;

I've not seen Lomachenko in action yet but I've heard great things, how does he compare to Mayweather while in the pocket?

What do you guys think of Guillermo Rigondeaux? He was chasing Frampton for quite a while...

Check him out on you tube @Brad - some incredible stuff on there. 

He's an entirely different fighter to Mayweather Imo - he is a 9 fight novice and is nowhere near Mayweather in terms of experience and fight management. However, Lomachenko's amateur career was incredible - he won 2 gold medals and is already a two weight world champion. He is 29 so the clock is ticking. 

Like Mayweather Lomachenko doesn't have one punch knock out power and like Mayweather he has great hand speed and accuracy.

However, Mayweather was primarily a defensive counter puncher - possibly the finest exponent of the style (with the possible exception of Wilfred Benitez)

Lomachenko is a more aggressive fighter and has incredible footwork - by that I mean he will change his angel of attack mid combination in a manner I haven't seen a fighter do before. He throws more punches and has a greater variety of shots. 

I think Rigondeaux would out box Frampton - he'd be too quick. Would be a good fight though as Frampton is game, probably more powerful and is no slouch himself. 
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    @Placidcasual79 thanks or the info! I guess I was talking about 'Pretty Boy' era Mayweather, before his hands have up. 

Yeah I'll check some footage out on YouTube. Think I'll watch some full matches first to see what he looks like in real time and then check some slow mo vids that dissect his work. 

From what little I have seen, he almost looks like a matador, the way he side steps his opponent and they have no idea where he's gone!
    Rigo just can't get the fights. One of the major drawbacks of the sport is avoided fighters.
    @Placidcasual79 the Walters fight was so one sided! Couldn't believe he'd quit like that but who could blame him
  • Anyone see the Froch documentary?

Totally glossed over the Ward fight. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Anyone see the Froch documentary?

No I didn't know there was one out, will look out for it.
  • duotone said:
    Anyone see the Froch documentary?

No I didn't know there was one out, will look out for it.
    It was one of the 'sporting life' series. Not endearing. Also some pretty grim comments from him on twitter regarding the horrific events in London. Hopefully just a knee jerk reaction to such an emotive incident. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Watching two large black guys (Brook and Spence) dressed like prize cockerels and beating each other up as entertainment seems like something out of an episode of Roots. Just my reaction, although five minutes of googling this morning suggests racially stereotyping boxers and seeing matches as battles along race lines is part of the sport. As if people being paid to hit each other wasn't unpleasant enough to start with.

Good grief Eric.

I can genuinely say that the colour of any fighter (or anyone for that matter) does not even register with me. They are men, not members of a race. I think that observation says more about your perception and classification of people, than anything else.

In fact, I'd go further and say your first sentence is really offensive.

They are two athletes first and foremost, at the very top of their game. The fact that they are not white is immaterial, and to me utterly irrelevant.

WTF is wrong with people, when the first thing that gets noticed or highlighted about someone is their race??