Pedal that sounds like Thorpy Gunshot?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13979
    sgosden said:
    print off a picture of a 'prettier' pedal and stick it over the top?
    What like the Miku?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6233
    tFB Trader
    sgosden said:
    What like the Miku?

We could fall out here..... ;)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    ThorpyFX said:
    sgosden said:
    What like the Miku?

thorpy - when are you gonna do a miku style pedal with voicing based on Ol' Queen Lizzy II ? 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    ThorpyFX said:
    sgosden said:
    What like the Miku?

thorpy - when are you gonna do a miku style pedal with voicing based on Ol' Queen Lizzy II ? 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    RandallFlagg;1037166" said:
    digitalscream said:

RandallFlagg said:

F*ck it! I'm getting one! I need that sound in my rig.

I'll get over the looks and size if it sounds as good as I'm expecting

Surely the obvious solution is to get a Smorg Grab500 and put the Nano+ in the bin?

It'll easily fit on one of their Grab boards (I've just measured mine - 19cm deep, but the cable gap is in exactly the right place for a Gunshot).

Hadn't heard of the Smorg boards...Interesting...but the lack of gap between rails? what about pedals with power sockets on the side of the pedal, can't feed the power lead from underneath between the rails.

Isn't 'in the bin' a bit harsh for the Nano+? :-)
    You can still feed them through the top gap and keep a clean look, take a look at the wiring tips link on my website.
  • boydie101boydie101 Frets: 18
    simonk said:
    Xotic SL Drive.

Can't vouch for the Thorpy as I haven't had the pleasure of trying one yet, however I do own the Xotic SL and it is superb!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    I'm still feeling I might go for a gunshot now or the peacemaker. Already have the Muffroom
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28932
    edited April 2016
    ThorpyFX said:
    I only use the highest quality  full size through hole components, this lowers the noise floor and ensures consistency between units.
    How so? SMDs are available in the same tolerances (for consistency purposes) and the same compositions (which largely dictate noise performance); through hole stuff just wraps that in a bit more ceramic carrier, which has no shielding properties. Am I missing something here?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12983
    This thread reminds me of a joke.

What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

A carrot. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016 tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    I only use the highest quality  full size through hole components, this lowers the noise floor and ensures consistency between units.
    How so? SMDs are available in the same tolerances (for consistency purposes) and the same compositions (which largely dictate noise performance); through hole stuff just wraps that in a bit more ceramic carrier, which has no shielding properties. Am I missing something here?
    I haven't made any negative comments about SMD. I am not saying that SMD's aren't available in the tolerances or compositions stated. What i am saying is that I use the highest quality through hole components to ensure the noise floor is lowered and consistency between units. To hand solder every pedal as I do requires through hole components (with my eyesight anyway) and this limits the size at which i can make the pedal, along with the off board components such as jacks and switches.  All of these things were chosen deliberately to ensure i am am happy with the longevity and robustness of the pedals. Most people probably don't care, but.... I do.

Also, my pedals aren't SMD (although i have one SMD MOSFET for polarity protection) because i want to build them myself and not outsource at this stage. I enjoy building and using SMD would remove some of that enjoyment.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016
    ThorpyFX said:
    Also, my pedals aren't SMD (although i have one SMD MOSFET for polarity protection) because i want to build them myself and not outsource at this stage. I enjoy building and using SMD would remove some of that enjoyment.
    I understand and applaud that - too many boutique outfits only seem to do final assembly.

I just didn't see how the use of large format through-hole components had to do with noise floor and consistency. The latter two are surely more to do with good design and choosing the right composition of components. Also through-hole is more widely repairable by guitar/amp techs I would think (tying into your mention of longevity and robustness).
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    I understand and applaud that - too many boutique outfits only seem to do final assembly.

I just didn't see how the use of large format through-hole components had to do with noise floor and consistency. The latter two are surely more to do with good design and choosing the right composition of components. Also through-hole is more widely repairable by guitar/amp techs I would think (tying into your mention of longevity and robustness).

Sporky said:
    ThorpyFX said:

I just wasn't very clear. the two choices are mutually exclusive. Size is because i want to build them (and repairability) and the specs were a separate consideration.

That being said, Origin effects use the highest quality SMD to great effect in their new pedals, I think they use MELF resistors and diodes etc on a double sided double decker PCB arrangement. mental!
    edited April 2016
    ThorpyFX said:
    I just wasn't very clear. the two choices are mutually exclusive. Size is because i want to build them (and repairability) and the specs were a separate consideration.
    Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. :)

I liked the bigger components because it meant I could route PCB tracks underneath them more easily - I've hand-soldered the bigger SMD stuff without too much bother. Some of them I can barely see unaided though. :D

I have a suspicion I was using the same polarity protection scheme as you.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31021
    I have read this and find it incomprehensible that the Gunshot is classed as big.

It's tiny. Well tiny compared to some of my muses past and present it is.

Re the tones- the only thing I've across that's tonally similar is a KOT which is two channels but the GS works like that with its Caliber and Gain stacks. But it's not as thick as the GS.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    All this speak of hand soldered and high quality components calls for an internal pic of the gunshot I think! A gutshot maybe?

Would love to have a look inside one (as well as play one!)
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    tFB Trader
    check out our instagram..... there are plenty of shots on there
    Mkjackary said:
    All this speak of hand soldered and high quality components calls for an internal pic of the gunshot I think! A gutshot maybe?

Would love to have a look inside one (as well as play one!)

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Thorpy has left us a clue about his next pedal! You can see an unpopulated board with the word "REDMIST" in the above picture.