Biting the bullet - my 'go big or go home' board build

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7593
    Nope - looks like one of the isolated outputs is dead. If I strip back some wire from a power cable and poke them in to the relevant contacts in a good outlet, I get power, do the same with the outlet in question, nothing. 

I bought it secondhand on the forum but it was ages ago and only now using it so can't really expect the seller to take it back, will have to buy a new one 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    To be honest I get precious little playing time - this exercise was supposed t be about making it all easier to use, but the last 3 weekends have been wasted trying to get it all working. 

I'm about ready to light a bonfire under the whole lot... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    Once it's all working though it'll be worth it!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    haha - yep. I had a bit of a teddies out of the pram moment.

I've managed to get enough of it powered (just not the bass stuff and not the Markbass compressor (which is awesome on guitar) ) to play around now.

Red ones are better. 
    OK, teddies retrieved - after 3 weekends of struggling with routing and powering the setup generally, I can finally start to play with the power and flexibility of the G2.

Initial verdict on said power and flexibility - fuck me sideways, it's amazing. 

Have been fiddling around trying various things, e.g.:
    Set up one Bank to use H9#1 on every preset (and only output Midi in its Midi channel) with the drives and boosts, and the other H9 all in stomp box mode. This lets me faff about with H9 presets in isolation and try them out without disturbing regular banks.

The next Bank just swaps the H9s so that H9#2 is always on and any Midi events are on only ITS Midi channel. 

Bank 1 is going to be my default Bank so its set up to output Midi on Channels 1 and 2 (each H9 is set to receive on only 1 or 2) 

I can either align G2 patch numbers and H9 preset numbers to get the right ones called up, or do patch mapping in the H9 (which might be easier) - I'll see. 

My big reservation before getting a G2 was that doing "menu-y" things like this must be hard with no dedicated display, but it's really not.
    You do need to remember (or look up) the power-up-menu number for each feature (e.g. Midi is power-up and hold 7) but once there it's super easy. Also you don't need to actually power up by fiddling with the power jack - holing down the relevant number button and 'Phase' does the same thing. 

Anyway, away from G2 : I need an expression pedal. Some of the sounds in the H9 are seriously impressing me and I want to be able to change Trem rate, delay mix, and all that jazz on the fly. 
    Besides my wah needs a new pot anyway. Excuse found! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Quality setup man, sounds like a right ballache though! Nice one for getting it finished.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Yeah I don't know why it was so hard - well partly because I confused the crap out of myself combining G2, fx loop and my attenuator. 

Or maybe I'm just thick, ha 
    Red ones are better.