Ritchie Blackmore

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Substitute, woah oh, whenever you want me... why weren't Clout bigger? Substitute was the catchiest song in the world. B-)
    As I have just discovered, also probably the first single I ever bought - I had thought it was ABBA's Summer Night City, but having looked at the release dates that was later in '78, so it must have been Substitute. And Marshall Hain's Dancing In The City must have been the second, not the third…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7842
    heh - I have Substitute by Clout too.

my first, if you ignore Noddy Stories read by Enid Blyton and Blue Is The Colour by Chelsea FC, was Teenage Rampage by The Sweet.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    And whilst where ion the subject of the Blackmore programme: Brian May - do you not own a mirror? Do the words "I think I'll get my hair cut" never enter your head? To everything there is a saeason, and the season for looking like you do passed a long time ago.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Why does everyone think that just because you get old you have to have a haircut? Good luck to them that don't want to get a short back & sides and don a beige cardigan.

Here's to Lee Sklar, an amazing musician who hasn't turned into his grandfather just because he's now as old as his grandfather used to be:

http://www.lacm.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/LeeSklar-440x440.jpg
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    Here's to Lee Sklar, an amazing musician who hasn't turned into his grandfather just because he's now as old as his grandfather used to be

Although as far as we know, his grandfather may have looked exactly like that.
  • Why does everyone think that just because you get old you have to have a haircut? Good luck to them that don't want to get a short back & sides and don a beige cardigan.

Here's to Lee Sklar, an amazing musician who hasn't turned into his grandfather just because he's now as old as his grandfather used to be:

Lol - personally I don't think you need to get a sensible haircut or don beige simply because your getting on - Brian May needs a hair cut cus he looks like a tw*t. Your man Lee Sklar (who is he btw) looks like a don and therefore does not require a cut....
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    scrumhalf said:
    "he now wears sacking and a magnificent syrup whilst poncing about with a very attractive blonde playing very old music".
    Any photographic evidence of said syrup?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Why does everyone think that just because you get old you have to have a haircut? Good luck to them that don't want to get a short back & sides and don a beige cardigan.

Lol - personally I don't think you need to get a sensible haircut or don beige simply because your getting on - Brian May needs a hair cut cus he looks like a tw*t. Your man Lee Sklar (who is he btw) looks like a don and therefore does not require a cut....
    Google him. He's played for James Taylor and done loads sessions
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    rsvmark said:
    scrumhalf said:
    "he now wears sacking and a magnificent syrup whilst poncing about with a very attractive blonde playing very old music".
    Not directly, but why else would he now have more luxuriant hair than he had 45 years ago?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    scrumhalf;1041476" said:

Not directly, but why else would he now have more luxuriant hair than he had 45 years ago?
    If that's not an 'Irish', I'll personally scallop the fret board of every guitar I own....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    That, from 2015, is not the hair of a 70 year old ( just turned 71 this week) who had a receding hairline by the mid 1970's. A weave and hair dye maybe if not a syrup.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    EricTheWeary;1041549" said:
    That, from 2015, is not the hair of a 70 year old ( just turned 71 this week) who had a receding hairline by the mid 1970's. A weave and hair dye maybe if not a syrup.
    Sting's hairline is another which has receded, then advanced, then receded and advanced again. Currently it appears in retreat again.

His nose receded dramatically in about 1984 but has advanced again with age....

Funny what happens to famous people....
    I'm not saying Blackmore doesn't wear a syrup, but Ozzy Osbourne's amost as old and he still has a magnificent head of hair.  It is possible.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5019
    Blackmore, in the 70s, looked like Jasper Carrot in a wig.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016
    Sting's hairline is another which has receded, then advanced, then receded and advanced again. Currently it appears in retreat again.
    His nose receded dramatically in about 1984 but has advanced again with age....

Funny what happens to famous people....
    I saw some pictures of Sting the other day, he suddenly looks like Ray Davies.  I think he should grow the beard back pronto.
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm not saying Blackmore doesn't wear a syrup, but Ozzy Osbourne's amost as old and he still has a magnificent head of hair.  It is possible.
    Ozzy's always had a magnificent head of hair (except when he shaved it all off).

Blackmore's hair seems to be tidal.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962

Reverend said:
    Blackmore, in the 70s, looked like Jasper Carrot in a wig.
    Too true.

I think these days he may be sporting a medieval tapestry on his bonce, but in the mid 70s his hair was long but looking a bit whispy at the front.

Then from the late 70s he has a full Charles II curly sort of barnet.

Now it's thick, black and lustrous when he's IN his 70s.

:|
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2795
    Just managed to watch it on playback or whatever I thought he came across as pretty reasonable. Just had a bit of a clash with Gillan every few years
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 993
    Many of the tales have been reported before, to the extent that they seem more rehearsed lines than fact - the extra amp stage bit for example.

The general approach he has seems very similar to many self employed people with staff.  The employees (that's what they were in Rainbow at least) are more comodity than people and get treated that way, they are either perfect and subserviant or unwelcome and on the way out.  Of course this is amplified somewhat in rock star territory with the ego polishing, but in reality he came across like quite a few people I know ( and the odd relative).
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Listening to that clip, you can see the importance of punk and the anti 'music establishment' vibe at the time. Bands which had been cool in the late 60's and early 70's were becoming a parody of themselves.  Rock started of as rebellious and an expression of freedom and ended up formulaic.  This is a perfect example where you get told how to cut your hair, ironic as rock and roll was an expression of not being told what to do.

I like Blackmore and Deep Purple made some great records but he's proof that no matter how big the talent is the ego can always be bigger.  But to be fair It doesn't put me off the music in the slightest and definitely makes for some good stories!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom