Ritchie Blackmore

What's Hot
I've just watched The Ritchie Blackmore Story on Sky Arts 1. Jesus what a c*nt. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 996
    I suspect that's an analysis he might feel proud of.

Not seen it myself yet, tomorrow's fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10758
    Why, what did he do?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    edited April 2016
    viz;1039381" said:
    Why, what did he do?
    Have a nice Strat that he'd use for a whole gig - and then played a crap one for the encore and smash it up.

Bastard.....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16309
    I've watched about half of it so far. Misses out a lot of the bad stuff about firing people. Might just be the edit but there's not a lot of evidence of remorse for the various amounts of messing people around hitting the odd one as well. David Coverdale usually strikes me as a c**t as well as there's a bit of him in the documentary which doesn't contradict that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • He just comes across as having a totally disproportionate sense of self importance - takes himself entirely too seriously and walks round dressed in medieval clobber (I should say I am all for artistic expression but he wears random bits of sacks tied round the bottom of his legs - get down to JD sports son!). 

He seemed cold, arrogant and out of touch, totally without humour.....

All this combined = c*ntdom. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3683
    Not seen the show so will look out for it.

I've heard he was a bit "difficult" but what cannot be argued with is his place in British rock history all the way from The Outlaws working for Joe Meek to his guitar God status in Deep Purple.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    viz;1039381" said:
    Why, what did he do?
    Have a nice Strat that he'd use for a whole gig - and then played a crap one for the encore and smash it up.

Bastard.....
    Ahh, is that why the crap ones have "Encore" written on them - so he wouldn't get confused?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7902

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11399
    He is clearly a member of the pantheon of great musicians whose musical skills have led them to come up short on general life skills.

He's very single-minded and won't do stuff he doesn't want to do. Fair play to him, he's been involved in some of the best rock music of all time and was part of a band (Mark 2 Purple) that were amazingly musical.

I would rather the programme spent a bit more time on his pre-Purple days and summed up the last few years briefly along the lines of "he now wears sacking and a magnificent syrup whilst poncing about with a very attractive blonde playing very old music".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's made by his own production company ( although not sponsored by Grecian 2000 as might have been expected...) and still makes him look a bit of a cock, although perhaps that explains why it shows almost nothing of the early interesting stuff and quite a lot of the recent hey diddle diddle stuff . Or fails to ask the question: so, at 18 years of age Candice when you were an unpaid intern at a radio station what first attracted you to to the middle aged , balding, tempremental millionaire Ritchie Blackmore?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    It's made by his own production company ( although not sponsored by Grecian 2000 as might have been expected...) and still makes him look a bit of a cock, although perhaps that explains why it shows almost nothing of the early interesting stuff and quite a lot of the recent hey diddle diddle stuff . Or fails to ask the question: so, at 18 years of age Candice when you were an unpaid intern at a radio station what first attracted you to to the middle aged , balding, tempremental millionaire Ritchie Blackmore?
    "So Candice, what attracted you to Richie's millions in the bank" ....

He's a great guitarist and Purple and Rainbow were two great bands ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • In fairness I have to say I don't know Deep Purples music and am generally not a fan of that type of early 70's heavy rock. But those first Deep Purple mark II albums sounded good - great rhythm section. I'll skip anything that came after that. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23456
    I've been a Blackmore fan since I was 14 or 15 and, somehow, I manage to turn a blind eye to his faults - the obnoxiousness, the big-headedness, the sub-par live performances, the silly clothes, the Irish jig, the thirteen-year-old-Asian-boy moustache, etc etc.  I still love the guy.  

Completly the opposite with Coverdale, I can't stand the sight of him now.  Although I that case I was starting to get inklings of his knobbishness even as I eagerly collected the first few Whitesnake albums in the early '80s.

I'd like to see this documentary, I hope it ends up on BBC4 sometime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been a Blackmore fan since I was 14 or 15 and, somehow, I manage to turn a blind eye to his faults - the obnoxiousness, the big-headedness, the sub-par live performances, the silly clothes, the Irish jig, the thirteen-year-old-Asian-boy moustache, etc etc.  I still love the guy.  

Completly the opposite with Coverdale, I can't stand the sight of him now.  Although I that case I was starting to get inklings of his knobbishness even as I eagerly collected the first few Whitesnake albums in the early '80s.

There's quite a lot of short clips on YouTube if you don't mind watching in 90 second chunks. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23456
    Philly_Q said:

There's quite a lot of short clips on YouTube if you don't mind watching in 90 second chunks. 
    I've just seen it's available on Blu-ray (assuming it's the same film).  I've added to my Lovefilm rental list.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I'm not defending bad behaviour here, but Ritchie has always come across as single-minded and determined to get whatever he's looking for. I suspect that he may not have known exactly what he was looking for, but that possibly he'd recognise it when he saw/heard it.

Reading between the lines, one suspects his time working for Joe Meek was not exactly a happy one, which may explain why he's not talked about it much.

Anyone criticising him for scoring Candice Knight is probably just jealous. He's laughing all the way to the bedroom.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    I watched it - he's a moody bugger but what a fantastic guitarist. As I mentioned yesterday in the psa thread I've had a Ritchie listening phase this past few weeks. His technique and musicality at the time must have been mind blowing.

Fwiw Neil Young, Dylan and even Robert Plant have fired/left more people than Ritchie and we celebrate that as a good thing.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2753
    Just watched it and really enjoyed it, I  thought he came across a lot better than I expected.   He seemed quite open about his faults and there were some funny anecdotes.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72863
    Fwiw Neil Young, Dylan and even Robert Plant have fired/left more people than Ritchie and we celebrate that as a good thing.
    Do we? I read the 'Shakey' biography of Neil Young and was left with the impression that he's a monumental dick. He just thinks he can do whatever he likes because he's Neil Young.

He also happens to be one of my favourite musicians.

So it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Blackmore is similar - the most creative people quite often turn out to be "difficult" personalities, to put it politely. I'm sure there are exceptions too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    Doesn't Richie Blackmore now dress like a medieval wizard now and play the lute and sing songs about the plague or something?  

That's why kids should keep away from drugs. 

@ICBM I've never understood why fans of musicians have to stick up for their heroes being dicks.  Someone can be a dick and also be a great musician.  It's probably down to being an Ike Turner fan, little chance I could ever stick up for his persona...  I'm a big Neil Young fan as well.  I know little of his personality but he seems to have done something positive with Farm Aid.