The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    phil_b said:
    @breakstuff ; very smart
    Thanks mate. Can't wait to giving it a whirl. 

I'm really impressed with the build quality too. Can't believe the heft of the grills compared to cheaper models. Well worth the extra money I reckon. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24338
    Very nice! 
  • nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    Need a replacement for my falling apart gas bbq and this thread has just steered me towards ordering a Weber Master-touch. Looking forward to going back to coals
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If anyone else is looking, Go-Outdoors seem to have one more Master-touch GBS in black for £240 which seemed a bit cheaper than everywhere else. Fuel wise it's been a bit of a hunt to mail order but Chessington Garden Centre seemed to be the cheapest with any stock of the 8KG bags and free delivery over £50
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Got one of these

It's excellent for a long smoke.

The thick probe get the internal air temp and the long bent one goes in the meat. The wires are ok up to 700 degrees so the probes are just left in.

The receiver unit can be set to make a noise if the temp is too low, or too high or even when the meat internal temp has hit target.

Do you know of anyone still selling these in the UK? Only ones I could find were china/HK imports and considering how many copies I saw I'm not that trusting. Is yours the TP8 or 20?
    I’ll have a look tonight. Can’t remember! 
  • I purchased an Inkbird IBT-2x the other day and used it for a whole chicken last night. It was cooked to perfection.

Not saying that its as good as more expensive ones but it's perfect for the price!
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    nanoman said:
    Got one of these

It's excellent for a long smoke.

The thick probe get the internal air temp and the long bent one goes in the meat. The wires are ok up to 700 degrees so the probes are just left in.

The receiver unit can be set to make a noise if the temp is too low, or too high or even when the meat internal temp has hit target.

Do you know of anyone still selling these in the UK? Only ones I could find were china/HK imports and considering how many copies I saw I'm not that trusting. Is yours the TP8 or 20?

I've got a pair of those - says TP-08 on mine.

Yeah, both appear to have disappeared off the market. I've gone for the only one I could find which is still Thermopro but grey in colour and single probe. I'd much rather have a dual option
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    The dual is good, I've just put some beef cheeks in the smoker and I'm measuring the smoke temp and meat temp.  If you've only got one probe then on a long smoke I'd maybe start off with it monitoring the smoke temp and nearer when you expect the meat to be done move it into the meat.  Or get a Thermapen for spot checking the meat temp.

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

I got some chicken marinating in the fridge ready for tomorrow

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Four hours in... getting hungry now... 18 more to go...

• Well the weather not brill but I got some chicken marinating and a dough resting so gonna fire up the Weber Q and Smokey Joe and make some kebabs. 

Well my first attempt at slow and low was a total disaster. Marinaded a pork shoulder this morning and chucked it on the bbq at 10.30 in the morning thinking it would take five to six hours only to find at seven o'clock that it was nowhere near cooked. After trudging to the local Co-op to buy some mince to make some homemade burgers as a substitute to feed my starving/disappointed kids, I duly chucked them on my other ancient barrel bbq while the pork carried on cooking. Gets to eleven o'clock in the evening and I've given up. I've done pulled pork loads of times in the oven, finishing it off on the bbq and it's always come out really well but this time the pork is tough as old boots and smells like week old kippers. It's gone in the bin. I've watched loads of videos, and followed them to the letter, the only thing I can think that I've done wrong is to trust the thermometer on the Webers lid. I've orderd a twin probe thermometer earlier so will give it another go in the hope of making a better fist of it.

Also I've had a seriously long shower, and washed my hands about twenty times, and I still can't get rid of the smell of smoke. Think I'm just imagining it now.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Well my first attempt at slow and low was a total disaster. Marinaded a pork shoulder this morning and chucked it on the bbq at 10.30 in the morning thinking it would take five to six hours only to find at seven o'clock that it was nowhere near cooked. After trudging to the local Co-op to buy some mince to make some homemade burgers as a substitute to feed my starving/disappointed kids, I duly chucked them on my other ancient barrel bbq while the pork carried on cooking. Gets to eleven o'clock in the evening and I've given up. I've done pulled pork loads of times in the oven, finishing it off on the bbq and it's always come out really well but this time the pork is tough as old boots and smells like week old kippers. It's gone in the bin. I've watched loads of videos, and followed them to the letter, the only thing I can think that I've done wrong is to trust the thermometer on the Webers lid. I've orderd a twin probe thermometer earlier so will give it another go in the hope of making a better fist of it.

Also I've had a seriously long shower, and washed my hands about twenty times, and I still can't get rid of the smell of smoke. Think I'm just imagining it now.

This took 24hours to do slow and low

Not doing it again!!!!
    This turned up this morning from eBay... £35!!!!!!! Bargain!...

There’s a whole chook in there at the moment smoking away!!!!
    edited May 2020
    Oh FFS, Go Outdoors! Courier delivery was today for the Master-Touch. They'd already emailed to say they couldn't fulfil the full order as they were out of the Weber chimneys so I'd be refunded for that. What actually turns up is a massive envelope with a little packet of firelighters and a Go Outdoors loyalty card lost within it. No mention of the actual bbq. The only glimmer of hope was that the DHL tracking page showed part delivered before failing to load completely.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Should not have taken that long.

What temp was the BBQ at? 

If I want pulled pork reasonably fast I do it at 275f to 300 for 2 hours, then foil wrap for 2, and another 30 mins to an hour back out of the foil again.

Never had it fail.

Brisket on the other hand.... that's dead easy to get wrong.

Should not have taken that long.

What temp was the BBQ at? 

If I want pulled pork reasonably fast I do it at 275f to 300 for 2 hours, then foil wrap for 2, and another 30 mins to an hour back out of the foil again.

Never had it fail.

Brisket on the other hand.... that's dead easy to get wrong.

The lid thermometer was reading between 120 - 140°c throughout. I've since ordered a double probe thermometer so will give it another go when it arrives. The meat was from Morrisons, though I should have known better as their meat isn't the best quality imo and I only got it because we were already there and the butchers that we normally use wasn't open at that actual time. I've since watched a few more videos and have more of an idea of the temperatures I need to work to so fingers crossed.