The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    wibble said:
    Anyone use a Kamado style? Looks like Aldi have a 'cheap' one on special soon.

I've never tried one. BBQ forums are quite split between Weber and Kamado style fans. It's worse than Strat v Les Paul! :D 

I've got a Weber Kettle 57 cm and a Weber Smokey Mountain water smoker.

I use the kettle 90% of the time, but nothing beats the WSM for proper long slow cooks of 10 - 20 hours. 

I'm planning my annual 15 lb full pack brisket smoke at the moment. If I set up the WSM properly then it will burn for 20 hours + without needing to be refilled, holding a temp of 250F to 275F. I've got a wireless thermometer unit with meat and air temp probes so it warns me if the fire is going out, and when the meat has hit my target temp. I usually put it on in the late afternoon so it will be ready for about lunchtime the following day.

But first, this weekend is rotisserie chicken time.

I'll be rubbing them in a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil with some smoked paprika, and also injecting the breast meat with the same mixture.

Can't wait!
    What coals do you use?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24338
    And something different, this was topside of beef that I did with a rub called "Mrs O'Leary's Cow Crust"

had a really lovely flavour

The recipe for the rub is here:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/mrs-olearys-cow-crust-recipe

It's probably my favourite beef rub for everything apart from brisket.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    wibble said:
    Anyone use a Kamado style? Looks like Aldi have a 'cheap' one on special soon.

I've never tried one. BBQ forums are quite split between Weber and Kamado style fans. It's worse than Strat v Les Paul! :D 

I've got a Weber Kettle 57 cm and a Weber Smokey Mountain water smoker.

I use the kettle 90% of the time, but nothing beats the WSM for proper long slow cooks of 10 - 20 hours. 

I'm planning my annual 15 lb full pack brisket smoke at the moment. If I set up the WSM properly then it will burn for 20 hours + without needing to be refilled, holding a temp of 250F to 275F. I've got a wireless thermometer unit with meat and air temp probes so it warns me if the fire is going out, and when the meat has hit my target temp. I usually put it on in the late afternoon so it will be ready for about lunchtime the following day.

But first, this weekend is rotisserie chicken time.

I'll be rubbing them in a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil with some smoked paprika, and also injecting the breast meat with the same mixture.

Can't wait!
    What coals do you use?
    Weber briquettes.

No point in spending money on lumpwood unless I'm doing caveman style where the meat gets put directly on the coals without a grill. Cannot do that with briquettes as the meat gets really dirty.

I usually get a years supply of the Weber ones from WowBBQ shop when the prices start to dip for autumn, but they quite often have the best price and if you get enough delivery is free. Usually cheaper to buy 5 large bags rather than 4 + postage.Avoid Amazon etc for coals they are usually really expensive. If WowBBQ haven't got any then Riverside Garden Centre is a big Weber stockist as usually do.

I do have some cheap stuff but I only use that for short cooks like burgers. False economy to buy that for long cooks though, you'll use 3 times as much cheap stuff.

But for a long cook the most important part is getting the minion method sorted so you are only starting with 6-8 lit coals and they will light the rest through the night.

• yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    I've usually found Go Outdoors the cheapest place for Weber briquettes. They're out of stock at the moment - as is just about everywhere else too, from the look of it - but IIRC, the last lot I bought was £11.49 (?) for an 8kg bag with a Go Outdoors loyalty card, which costs a fiver. I'm sure I've seen Aussie heat beads there too, but that was a while ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    I'm a griller rather than a BBQer but got the rotisserie attachment a year ago. I've had good success with chicken and roast pork on it.
    I gave the grill it's pre-season proper scrub this week and will be out at the weekend for some burgers and chicken/chorizo skewers.

I'd love a water smoker but realistically wouldn't get enough use out of it, so I've settled for a wood smoker box for the grill. I generally use whisky barrel chips, which work really well with sausages

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    I didn’t end up making a purchase, but I’m still looking. Tell me, what’s the benefit of the Master Touch over the regular kettle?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    edited April 2020
    phil_b said:
    OK how do make your burgers

just meat?
    add a binding ingredient?
    mixing in seasoning and sources
    mixing in onions
    do you mix in cheese or other fat
    Cook garlic and onions in a pan add chilli flakes. Put that mixture in a blender. Add breadcrumbs an egg and a can of  drained black beans.  Add salt and pepper. Blend the lot and make into patties  Place on a tin foiled baking tray and cook in whatever you want.

A these are amazing
    B im not a vegetarian
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    Bowks said:
    I didn’t end up making a purchase, but I’m still looking. Tell me, what’s the benefit of the Master Touch over the regular kettle?
    I left the barbecue buying decision up to my missus and she ordered the top of the range Master Touch! 

Now, I need meat to cook!!
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    I currently have a very cheap B&Q BBQ. and I am thinking of an upgrade. I only need a small one for 2 or 3 people. I guess I wont go far wrong with a Webber grill.

But are there any others I should look at first
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    phil_b said:
    I currently have a very cheap B&Q BBQ. and I am thinking of an upgrade. I only need a small one for 2 or 3 people. I guess I wont go far wrong with a Webber grill.

But are there any others I should look at first

Don't know about specific other makes/models but the good features of a Weber kettle barbecue are - Charcoal grate for ash to fall through so it doesnt choke, something underneath to catch the ash in and remove it, a lid to retain heat for slow indirect cooking (and stop flare ups with direct cooking), top and bottom vents for controlling temperature. Beyond that you're looking at build quality and any extra fancy features - removable centre section on the grill, charcoal pans, rail to hold the lid when open etc. etc. 
    You can do 95% on the Weber kettle. Get the 57cm version, not the smaller ones.

You need the space for indirect cooking. 

I did rotisserie chicken today. It was amazing. 
    there are a few different models of weber kettle grills. I will probable just go for the basic model. the other models dont seem to offer much extra to me.

built in thermometer (probable wont use that)
    has a ash bucket instead of a tray on the basic one (big deal)
    the premium model has a grill that folds and the centre pops out (I could buy this grill separately)

is the basic model the one to go for?
    Get the ash bucket.

Seriously. They should stop doing the one with just the tray. Ash is hot and it drops out during the cook. The bucket makes clean up so much easier.

The thermometer is not very accurate. You will need a meat probe thermometer if you are doing this properly. But you also really need to know the grill temp if you are doing low and slow as cook times are influenced by the grill temp. The dome gauge will do to start with, but if you want a 6 hour pork shoulder smoke then something like a thermopro will be far better.

thanks for the advice =)

is the ash collector that big of a deal?

I saw this £169 for the original kettle but with the gourmet grill. As soon as you get one with the ash collector the price jumps to £295.

the inbuilt thermometers are normally inaccurate and I plan on buying a digital one with probes anyway

You can get the ash collector separately so compare prices at fitting it yourself. 

But yes, the simple tray is a nightmare. Just a hint of wind and hot ash is blowing around your garden.

There are places much cheaper than amazon.

Ill have a look after lunch.

phil_b said:

is the ash collector that big of a deal?

I saw this £169 for the original kettle but with the gourmet grill. As soon as you get one with the ash collector the price jumps to £295.

the inbuilt thermometers are normally inaccurate and I plan on buying a digital one with probes anyway

The premium is cheaper than the master touch.

£224

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/weber-barbecues/weber-charcoal-bbqs?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_uz66sKX6QIVjLTtCh1hmwBiEAAYASAAEgLPJvD_BwE/product/weber-original-kettle-premium-e-5730-charcoal-grill-57cm/14201004~WEB14201004/product/weber-original-kettle-premium-e-5730-charcoal-grill-57cm/14201004~WEB14201004

Riverside are the same price.

As it happens the food grate  in these is more convenient than the posher one with the changeable middle bit. In these the edges are hinged so more charcoal can be added without removing the grate.

The ash bucket kit is about £50 and then is a pain to fit a non bucket version.

Go for the Premium at £224.
    dont worry about a cover. Weber ones are overpriced.
    Mines been outside without a cover for years without any rust.