Yamaha 611 HFM thoughts please

What's Hot

Comments

• invasion;1048065" said:
    @HAL9000 Jack of all trades maybe? which is what it is designed to be in my mind. The sort of guitar you can turn up to a gig and lay pretty much anything and come very close to the sound you want. the 611 has Seymour Duncan SP90-1n, Custom 5 maybe they would give it a bit more of that something special ?

I think it is Yamaha as a brand the sensible choice, if you don't let your heart rule your head..The brand your mum and dad would come back with for you instead of an Ibanez and spandex trousers. a great great guitar; but just not exciting but does the job and does it well ;)
    Exactly. We used the 510 as the house guitar at an open mic & it handled everything we the at it with aplomb.
    My mate described it as being like a Honda- utterly reliable & great quality but not one to set your pulses racing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2453
    Late to the party with this one. Lovely to see all the positvity about Pacifica though so thanks for that.

611, in fact Pacifica as a range still puches well above it's weight for the money. Look at the spec on them to start with. Proper woods, Duncan pickups, wilkinson hardware. Stuff that costs nearly as much as what we sell it for. Amazing guitars.

I do get what people say about the lack of character. I firmly believe some of that is in the mind. I have felt the same about super high end guitars. Loads of money but just left me cold. What I can say is i picked up an old one in a dealer the other day. It's been his main teaching guitar for years and it had more "mojo" than you would ever believe. Another thing people do is buy maybe a cheaper model and use it as a modding platform. Perfect guitar for that. The neck is a different issue. It is what it is I'm afraid. You either like it or you don't. It's only 1mm smaller than a MusicMan though. Just to put that out there. One thing to bear in mind with this is that the neck was designed to be comfortable. OK, no good if you have sausage fingers but I'm 6'4 and have decent sized hands and have no problem with it. It's just what you get used to I guess.

As far as the 611 being versatile, it certainly is that. The bridge pickup is really well voiced to do alot of stuff and the coil tap can get you into traditional strat territory or with a bit more mids added, maybe tele. The neck P90 is beautiful and in the middle position with the bridge split, it's just lovely. The only thing it's really missing is the out of phase strat position 2 and 4 stuff. If thats a sound you would use, maybe look at the 612.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just to add, check out the THR amps if you're after an amp too. Super versatile and sounds amazing. Add to that you can use it with batteries as well as using it as an audio interface for recording. The audio playback for jamming along to is better than anything out there too.

OK, I'll stop now. ;-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • invasioninvasion Frets: 3
    @rossyamaha ;
    Thanks for you help really appreciate your thoughts on this :) do you work for Yamaha ? only reason I ask is would of liked your thought s on my CPX 500  bridge plate http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/73688/bridge-plate-damage#latest
    thanks again 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Totally agree with Ross about the Thr amps. I love mine.
    I've posted a review in the reviews section.
    @stimpsonslostson Ill go check it out now 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    rossyamaha;1048285" said:
    Just to add, check out the THR amps if you're after an amp too. Super versatile and sounds amazing. Add to that you can use it with batteries as well as using it as an audio interface for recording. The audio playback for jamming along to is better than anything out there too.

OK, I'll stop now. ;-)
    You can use it as an interface? Audio playback sounds pretty awesome.

FYI the 611 guitar looks amazing, great value for money
    rossyamaha;1048285" said:

OK, I'll stop now. ;-)
    You can use it as an interface? Audio playback sounds pretty awesome.

FYI the 611 guitar looks amazing, great value for money
    Certainly can. Combos that is not the heads. Really cool for recording as you can record with whatever tone you dial in but record a dry signal for reamping at the same time.

invasion said:
    @rossyamaha ;
    Thanks for you help really appreciate your thoughts on this :) do you work for Yamaha ? only reason I ask is would of liked your thought s on my CPX 500  bridge plate http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/73688/bridge-plate-damage#latest
    thanks again 
    I certainly do. I'm here for all your Yamaha/ Line 6 needs and to take all of your money for our amazing products.

Just had a look at the CPX. It does look a little off if I was being honest but it's also the first time I've ever seen the underside of an acoustic bridge so my opinion is based on nothing. I've just sent the picture to our in house luthier to see what he thinks.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016
    @rossyamaha Thanks for taking a look really appreciated  will be interesting to see what your in house luthier says about it. appreciate you looking into it ;)

you have me looking at the 612 for the out of phase positions :)

• froglordfroglord Frets: 50
    I've looked longingly at the 611HFM for years, but never actually got round to trying one. I'll have to rectify that.

The one thing that concerns me is the neck width. Why doesn't Yamaha publish a figure for it? I know there's no substitute for actually playing it, but ...
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    Neck width seems very close to my other guitars - fender 43mm ish at nut - can measure later if you want. Where do you want measurements from?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    One thing that always bugged me with the Yamaha bolt on range was and is the incredibly sharp fretboard edge, fantastic vfm but let down on such a simple refinement
    mrkb said:
    Neck width seems very close to my other guitars - fender 43mm ish at nut - can measure later if you want. Where do you want measurements from?
    A nut width measurement would be great! I've heard anything from 40-42mm for the 611HFM. 43mm tends to be my favourite. Having said that, my Tele is 41mm and while it's not luxurious, it's still perfectly playable.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879

My 2012 611HFM has the following measurements - 

Width at nut = 41.2mm

Width at 12th Fret = 51.9mm

Width at 22nd fret = 56.3mm

String spacing at nut = 33.7mm

String spacing at bridge = 52.5mm

Depth at First Fret = 21mm

Depth at 12th fret = 23.4 mm

Weight 8.3lbs

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, Mark!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    mrkb said:

My 2012 611HFM has the following measurements - 

Width at nut = 41.2mm

Width at 12th Fret = 51.9mm

Width at 22nd fret = 56.3mm

String spacing at nut = 33.7mm

String spacing at bridge = 52.5mm

Depth at First Fret = 21mm

Depth at 12th fret = 23.4 mm

Weight 8.3lbs

For comparison, the width of my MIM Std Strat is 44mm at the nut, and the string spacing at the nut is 37mm. My US Tele is 45mm at the nut with 38mm string spacing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    Does HFM stand for "Heavy Fucking Metal"? Because I really, really want it to.