Yamaha 611 HFM thoughts please

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• invasioninvasion Frets: 3
    Thanks for the heads up :) bit far for me to travel though no working transport at the minute!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited April 2016
    UnclePsychosis;1051167" said:
    Does HFM stand for "Heavy Fucking Metal"?

Because I really, really want it to.
    HFM is for Hardtail Flame Maple
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I like mine very much, however after a couple of months with it I'm thinking of changing the bridge pickup as it lacks a little bite for my taste, perhaps that's what people mean by "lack of character".
    Mine also requires a fairly high action to be buzz free out of the box but I will give it a fret dress once my bench clears up a bit.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited May 2017
    I got a pre-owned 611 vfm last week. Unbelievable bang for buck. Sounds great, feels great, looks great, excellent build quality, great pickups, quality hardware inc locking grovers, plus it has a very nice action.  

Neck width at nut...I was worried it might be too narrie ....but don't worry about it, I didn't even think about it when I played it as the neck is very comfy and it really doesn't feel any different to my tele or strat. And it has no rough frets at the side. The build quality is not just good at this price point its damned good period. 

H/B pickup not raunchy enough? I thought the same but it is raunchy. Just raise the p/up height a notch and it makes a huge difference. 

Versatlity of tones will cover pretty much anything you want to do. The 3 way switch was slightly scratchy, but a tiny drop of electrical switch cleaner and its quiet as a mouse. 

I've been playing guitar for over 45 yrs, and have 3 USA strats inc an original '69, a 1988 USA Tele, PRS Cu24, 1989 Epi Sheraton with SD SH1 59 p/ups, a 1990 LP Custom and 2006 SG Standard.  

I went to Yamaha Music in Wardour Street to try out the 611 hfm, 611 vfm, 612 V2fm and played them for a good hour and a half. 

So when I say that the 611 has impressed the hell out of me, I hope you can see that I don't say that lightly.  A 611 hfm can be bought new for £499 or even less. I think you'd struggle to find another guitar this good not only at this price point, but even at double the price. 

Just my 2 dollars worth.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)