Overdrive pedals for a Fender style amp

What's Hot

Comments

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2236
    edited April 2016
    preston61 said:
    @preston61 Very interested in this thread as well, as I'm getting a 65 DRRI this week.

You'll need to find a pedal that can reduce treble fella as those amps can be really bright. The Timmy would be great for you as the treble knob reduces the frequency
    I've got a Dr Scientist Cleanness, which has an EQ and a gain dial, could that work?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690

Never tried one mate, but it should do the job. The Timmy is highely regarded as a transparent overdrive with one of the best EQ sections on a drive pedal.

However you may find that the DRRI isn't as bright as I found it and this is all null and void

• preston61 said:

Never tried one mate, but it should do the job. The Timmy is highely regarded as a transparent overdrive with one of the best EQ sections on a drive pedal.

However you may find that the DRRI isn't as bright as I found it and this is all null and void

Well I have only tried it with TV Jones Powertrons on a Gretsch EM Doublejet, and the Powertron is a fairly dark pickup. I imagine my Tele will sound pretty bright, but I like a bit of bright chime and Fender guitars & amps are obviously a perfect match.

Sorry for hijacking your thread!

preston61 said:

Well I have only tried it with TV Jones Powertrons on a Gretsch EM Doublejet, and the Powertron is a fairly dark pickup. I imagine my Tele will sound pretty bright, but I like a bit of bright chime and Fender guitars & amps are obviously a perfect match.

Sorry for hijacking your thread!

Not a problem mate.

I played a Tele into the DRRI and it was harsh, even with the bass on full and the treble on zero. It needs to be pushed into levels that I couldn't hit at home, which meant that overdrive pedals sounded horrible with it; however I know this is not everyone's experience

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457

If you've not tried the Gunshot you're in for a treat. That stacked with the Peacekeeper into my Sportsman gives a lovely lead tone.

View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    MrSwanson said:

If you've not tried the Gunshot you're in for a treat. That stacked with the Peacekeeper into my Sportsman gives a lovely lead tone.

Have had a gunshot before but it was into a different amp at the time and it didn't quite beat the Kingsley Jester I had. I am looking forward to seeing what a mid scooped amp will sound like with it and think it's the perfect answer to the Imperials rhythm channel
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    mike_l said:
    Juansolo Blackface 65.
    Mine is now with @Jookychap ;
    Fannytastic low-mid gain drive, with a Fender flavour.
    Mike are you trying to con us into thinking you sold a drive pedal? I find that very hard to believe.

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Mojohand FX Rook is great into Fender style amps. Has an active eq to really help taylor the sound.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    Boss SD1
    How very rock and roll
  • I have a couple of Pedalworx Texas Two Steps that used to sound great through a Fender Super Reverb. Sadly that amp is gone :( , still sound good through a Musicman 210rd though...

• Well it's happened, @preston61. A shop cut me a great deal on a mint condition SH 65 DRRI, taking in the HRDIII for trade in and to pick-up the DRRI on Thursday. Absolutely over the bastard moon!
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    @preston61 there is a wampler black 65 in the classifieds now at a good price if you fancy a punt.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    @preston61

there's a Timmy V1 in the emporium.

It's stunning.

You'll thank me for this.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

But how do I get a better mid response from a Tim? Would the v2 with the cliiping switch improve it?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    preston61 said:
    But how do I get a better mid response from a Tim? Would the v2 with the cliiping switch improve it?
    Yes - the V2 is the better pedal but the V1 in the emp is as cheap as.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    Wampler Tumnus is very nice with fender style amps. Adds some nice low mids and a nice attack.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Do yourself a massive favour and pick up a Hudson Broadcast at some point. Both the low and high gain toggle options are so usable I got mine modded by Michael to have a second footswitch. This thing in to a fender style amp (I use it in to a Morgan RCA35 fitted with 6l6's) is simply the business. No messing around trying to dial it in, it is one of the best drive pedals I've owned in a long while:

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    @nickb_boy did the mod cost much to get done? gas has suddenly struck!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    @nickb_boy did the mod cost much to get done? gas has suddenly struck!
    Sent you a pm! I'll post something when I get it back again next week after the final additions!!
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited May 2016
    @nickb_boy Have you tried it on Bass? I know its based on a Neve preamp. If it works with both bass and guitar. I think I may have to purchase in the future. Sorry for the derail. Perhaps you could do a quick review time permitting?