SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: 1968 Gibson SG Standard - The Paul Weller model!

What's Hot
IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
edited April 2016 in Guitars £ tFB Trader
Up for sale is a genuine vintage 1968 SG Standard.

This one is a real gutter. I bought this guitar from a good pal of mine a couple of weeks ago as it was an absolute stunner. Unfortunately, as some of you will know, I prefer large necks and this one has the narrow 60's nut....and I just can't get on with it :-(

I have agonised over this for the last week and, as I have said before, all my guitars need to be gigged regularly and this one just won't with me so it need to be moved on to a smaller handed gent (or lady) who can make her sing.

Anyway.

All Original, genuine 1968 guitar. Has the 'dot' above the 'i' in Gibson, the lower headstock rosette and the '68 neck joint. Apparently '68's are a lot rarer that '67 or '69 as they made fewer and many '69's are passed of as 68's - or so the SG website tells me! - but this one is a genuine 68!

Same year as Paul Weller's favourite SG.

Weight is 7.2lb.

No Headstock Breaks
No Heel Breaks
100% Original Electrics - never been unsoldered
Original Pat No Humbuckers
All Plastics and Hardware are original.
Non original case
Plenty of playing wear and 'mojo'.

Sounds and plays just like it should. It really is a peach.

There are a couple of points to note:

It has had Grovers at some point (originals now re-instated) and it looks like they have been overtightened on the treble side causing the holly veneer to crack and also crack the wood between the G & B tuner holes. The headstock has never been off and the crack on the rear is minor - it cannot be seen unless the tuners are off and it's had a 100% stable (rather over-zealous IMO) repair, looks like a text book 70's job but it's totally stable and has been for years.

There is also a lacquer crack from the neck pickup down into the bass horn but it's been looked at by 2 vintage guitar dealers who confirm it's just a superficial crack and doesn't penetrate the wood. The heel is again, totally stable.

These two small issues put the guitar in Player + grade territory IMO. Mint examples of '68's are currently commanding around £5k!

I am TOTALLY gutted that I can't bond with this guitar. I'd dearly love to keep it.

I'm looking for £2500 SOLD for a quick sale.

Based in Worcester.

I'd entertain trades but ONLY Vintage Gibson (330 or Juniors/Specials) or a Pre/early CBS Fender Telecaster.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
(formerly miserneil)
0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    Have you had the pick guard off to see it that crack on the horn runs under the guard n into the guitar? It's looks more than a lacquer crack? Nice players gade guitar tho.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    OOOOF!!!! Sorely tempted....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    Lovely. 

I have a SG Junior from the same year.  Great guitars. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Have you had the pick guard off to see it that crack on the horn runs under the guard n into the guitar? It's looks more than a lacquer crack? Nice players gade guitar tho.
    I haven't personally no. I am more than happy to take it off, inspect it and post pics here though. 
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Blinkin' flip... That is rather lush
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    *swoon*
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Gorgeous!
    Red ones are better. 
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Dream birth year guitar right there - gorgeous!
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Crikey dude
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3077
    usedtobe said:
    *swoon*
    +1.  Swoon indeed.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Wow! 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    citizen68 said:
    Dream birth year guitar right there - gorgeous!
    Yessss!!!!
  • smogfallssmogfalls Frets: 148
    That's a really gorgeous guitar, but similar to you, I've never managed to bond with an SG. They look so fucking cool though, that I wish I had the cash to buy this from you!
    Cheers,
    Alex :)
    My Youtube Channel - Vintage Jazz, Blues & Country lessons;

https://youtube.com/@alexfarranguitar

https://instagram.com/alexfarranguitar
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Yowser! Lovely. :)
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I'm a 69 vintage, so the only way I could justify this (after selling one of my daughters into the Taleban to be able to afford it) is to call it a Year of Conception Guitar. 

Eww 
    :-S

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    You're certainly a changing man, when it comes to guitars...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    richardhomer;1052078" said:
    You're certainly a changing man, when it comes to guitars...
    Ha! I tried to be with this one, I really did!!

I certainly got an (Out of the) Sinking feeling when I didn't bond with it but I hold it no (Town Called) Malice....
    (formerly miserneil)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    @miserneil

Inbox me your number- as said by PM a mate of mine is a huge Wellerhead and is interested.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited April 2016
    miserneil;1052138" said:
    [quote="richardhomer;1052078"]You're certainly a changing man, when it comes to guitars...

I certainly got an (Out of the) Sinking feeling when I didn't bond with it but I hold it no (Town Called) Malice....
    [/quote]

Ooh can I play?

Don't get Hung Up on the neck size. It's a great guitar.

Play it later tonight and Into Tomorrow and you might feel like a Brand New Start with it as Time Passes.

This is a great deal folks Blink and You'll Miss it. I'd Aim High and buy it myself but It's Too Bad that I haven't got enough Pretty Green.

I'll give you a Shout (to the top) if I can raise some cash. All my money is tied up at the moment as we moved last year and are renovating From The Floorboards Up.

Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016 tFB Trader
    Iamnobody;1052188" said:
    [quote="miserneil;1052138"][quote="richardhomer;1052078"]You're certainly a changing man, when it comes to guitars...

[/quote]

Ooh can I play?

Don't get Hung Up on the neck size. It's a great guitar.

Play it later tonight and Into Tomorrow and you might feel like a Brand New Start with it as Time Passes.

This is a great deal folks Blink and You'll Miss it. I'd Aim High and buy it myself but It's Too Bad that I haven't got enough Pretty Green.

I'll give you a Shout (to the top) if I can raise some cash. All my money is tied up at the moment as we moved last year and are renovating From The Floorboards Up.

[/quote]

Fair play my man, I ought to just GIVE you the bloody thing after that!! :-D

In all seriousness though, I am In The City (London) next week Tuesday to Thursday doing a session in a studio. I can bring the SG with me if anyone is genuinely interested and wants to see/play it. Time will be tight as I am doing a session so with respect, no tirekickers please but more than happy to meet :-)
    (formerly miserneil)