Your 'most underrated' band(s)

What's Hot

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    hobbio said:
    Helmet. Awesome drumming, perfect riffage. I think the only thing that stopped them getting bigger than they are is Page Hamilton's voice, it's really marmite.
    Stanier is a beast.  One of the finest musicians in 'alternative' music over the last 20 years IMO.  I've met him a few times, quite an intimidating chap. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6492
    edited May 2016
    RobDavies said:
    Anthrax when John Bush was fronting them (Joey Belladonna is gash) 
    Hmmm.  Funny, because my choice was going to be Armored Saint.   Consistently good, but mostly ignored - mainly down to them being from LA in the 80's and refusing to become a Thrash band, or a Glam band.  
    I always thought Joey Vera should have got the Metallica gig when Cliff died.
    As much as I like John Bush's voice, I felt that he didn't fit with Anthrax - Belladona is a bit of a dick, but he kind of is the 'Thrax sound...

From their heyday....

And they still make very good records these days....and I can't wait to see them in July.

I think Bush has a great voice, especially in that first clip. Really strong stuff. I also think he came off much better than the Anthrax guys did with how he handled the whole Joey reunion thing. Cool guy, lots of respect for him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24282
    The new Armored Saint album is a belter too.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    McFly. Similar to Blink: dismissed as a gimmick/manufactured band and yet great catchy tunes well played.
    Could not agree more. Absolutely love them.

Others:

Jellyfish, Silver Sun, Jackdaw4, the Hellacopters. Probably the Wildhearts too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2016
    And what about 10cc? Not really held in as high regard or quite as well known as lots of other comparable 70s bands AFAIK but every bit as good, maybe even better. Talented musicians, fabulous songwriters and groundbreaking innovators too.

And 40 years on, they sound better live now than they ever have.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    Bucket said:
    And what about 10cc? 
    You'll find 10cc is a load of jizz. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    Bucket said:
    And what about 10cc? Not really held in as high regard or quite as well known as lots of other comparable 70s bands AFAIK but every bit as good, maybe even better. Talented musicians, fabulous songwriters and groundbreaking innovators too.

And 40 years on, they sound better live now than they ever have.

When I was in school in the late '70s they were very popular and seemed to be on roughly the same "level" as, say, Roxy Music, ELO, Supertramp, three-piece Genesis, maybe even Queen..... album bands who still had top 40 singles. 

But you're right, they're rarely mentioned nowadays.

• Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    Doves are (were) a brilliant band, but a lot of people I speak to have never really listened to them and don't seem to give them a chance when I suggest that they do. It's a shame because they really are an outstanding band and I know that a lot of the people I suggest them to would get into it

• Afghan Whigs
    PAW
    Velocity Girl
    Pond
    Bleach
    Power of Dreams

I could go on but all the above hugely underrated mainly because of other so called better bands of their time.
    Excellent shout..... POND are a quality band - they're prolific, varied and interesting - I really rate them. Beards, wins and denim is my favourite. Have you heard a band called WAND?
  • WILCO
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Lift to Experience. Arid
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The Sonics
    Stop crying, start buying
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    hobbio said:
    Helmet. Awesome drumming, perfect riffage. I think the only thing that stopped them getting bigger than they are is Page Hamilton's voice, it's really marmite.
    Stanier is a beast.  One of the finest musicians in 'alternative' music over the last 20 years IMO.  I've met him a few times, quite an intimidating chap. 

As far as I'm concerned, John Stanier is the best rock drummer there has ever been. Bold claim, but I stand by it. 

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Here one for yer BE-BOP-DELUXE,sorry old ones only
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    Mansun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28259
    tbm said:
    Dark Star!
    Twenty Twenty Sound is a great record.
    Most certainly.

Did you hear Zurich, the second album? It was briefly available to download. Very nearly as good as Twenty Twenty Sound.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Strangeways!  Fantastic Scottish AOR.

• FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    Has anyone mentioned XTC? 

• ewalewal Frets: 2584
    Thread resurrection alert.

I was looking through some older albums this morning and put on Band of Susans - Love Agenda. Now they are a classic under rated band. They found a unique sound in amongst the hundreds of bands trying to be Husker Du or Sonic Youth. Steve Albini said  "I think Robert Poss...is an enormously under- rated guitar theorist. A lot of his approaches to the density of guitar are completely overlooked in any discussion about guitar....The way he structures the song around the drone instead of finding a drone to fit into the song I think is wholly unique."

If Steve thinks so, who am I to argue...

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Primus and mansun  both amazing!