Your 'most underrated' band(s)

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937

Yeah XTC very good. Love their Dukes of Stratosphear psych tribute incarnation

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    octatonic said:
    The Tea Party
    Big Wreck
    Agreed! And Matthew Good/Matthew Good Band - such a shame he is unheard of outside Canada, Beautiful Midnight is one of my favorite albums of all time.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    PAW
    HEADSWIM
    Big Business
    Crystal Caravan
    Graveyard

• Prob no one has heard of them..its hard to even find good quality recordings on you tube but pulkas had a blinding first album and were all over the emtal amgs as the future of rock etc then completely disappeared...wonder what happened to them
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    edited January 2019
    Prob no one has heard of them..its hard to even find good quality recordings on you tube but pulkas had a blinding first album and were all over the emtal amgs as the future of rock etc then completely disappeared...wonder what happened to them
    I have heard of them.  Dimly remember a bloke with short hair and a big nose who may have been the singer.  But I don't know if I ever actually heard them.

Edit:  Listening to their album now... it's good, if a bit unrelenting!  Trying to think who they remind me of.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
     PolarityMan said:
    Prob no one has heard of them..its hard to even find good quality recordings on you tube but pulkas had a blinding first album and were all over the emtal amgs as the future of rock etc then completely disappeared...wonder what happened to them
    I played a gig with them NYE 1999. Also on the bill were The Crocketts and The Yoyos (vomit everywhere)
  • Sparklehorse & Mark Linkous, Mark was a fantastic song writer and much prefer them to the likes of the Flaming Lips & Mercury Rev 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    At the moment, I'd day Failure...

Youtube them...
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Big Wreck, Jellyfish, Bourgeois Tagg and a lady called Rosie Vela (her one and only album had contributions from Donald Fagen)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Strangeways!  Fantastic Scottish AOR.

Good call. Terry Brock was very nearly the lead singer of Journey.
  • Reverend said:
     PolarityMan said:
    I played a gig with them NYE 1999. Also on the bill were The Crocketts and The Yoyos (vomit everywhere)

Were they decent live? I googled a bit after posting that and it turns out they tried to backout of their record deal and pslit up before the legal challenges were resolved.....talk about shooting yourself int he foot.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Reverend said:
     PolarityMan said:

Were they decent live? I googled a bit after posting that and it turns out they tried to backout of their record deal and pslit up before the legal challenges were resolved.....talk about shooting yourself int he foot.
    I don;t remember too much, It wasn't my bag. They were on Earache and a fair few  friends of mine have had issues when on Earache. 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Reverend said:
     PolarityMan said:
    The Crocketts were mates from uni that I used to live with. Didn’t get to that gig I don’t think (some of back then is a bit hazy!). Went with them to a gig around that time one year, but it was in Aberystwyth and probably pre-1999.
  • hairmetalhairmetal Frets: 319
    The Dogs D'amour
    Hanoi Rocks 
    Great White

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    • The Chameleons 
    • The Only Ones
    • The Style Council (some drivel but innovative and underrated nonetheless)
    We are all Chameleons...
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Camper van Beethoven
    Pixies
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72355
    edited January 2019
    TonyR said:

The Style Council (some drivel but innovative and underrated nonetheless)
    Good call. I think a lot of people missed that the songwriting was still very much in the Jam-esque sharp social/political commentary vein because the lounge-pop arrangements made the whole package sound much less aggressive. If anything I prefer it to much of Weller's solo output.

I'd probably pick Cowboy Junkies. Some absolutely beautiful songs, and Margo Timmins has one of the most emotive voices I can think of, but maybe they're just a bit too downbeat to have been more successful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1263
    edited March 2020
  • Sneaker Pimps
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Octafish said:
    Has anyone mentioned XTC? 

Yeah XTC very good. Love their Dukes of Stratosphear psych tribute incarnation

I've never considered XTC under-rated. They always had hits, and they managed to get critical acclaim too. Possibly not a household name these days because Andy Partridge wasn't of the Sting/ Bono persuasion (thank fuck).

If you like The Dukes then you may like Plasticland - another homage to psychedelia (although a little less tongue-in-cheek). And under-rated (in as much as largely unknown/ forgotten!).