What's Hot

Comments

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited July 2016
    time warp and I will survive

work every time :)  I will survive - nick the strings part for a tasty solo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Finally going to be trying metalled up versoin teardrop on saturday! 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    Finally going to be trying metalled up versoin teardrop on saturday! 
    Now, I am not a fan of the whole "let's rock up a non-rock song" usually, but THAT I think would work very nicely.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    If we dont murder it ill try to post up a video. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4138
    We do Burning Love in the set more as a boogie song always goes down well.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    A lot of Mash up's are a bit of a laugh but there are some that are genius. The way the 'Band' (If you like) are still playing the original song but the new chord progression etc just works so well.

If i was still playing pubs and that circuit, i would definitely be doing this and loving watching the crowd realise it's two songs melted together. I appreciate you're going to get the nutters who come up afterwards to tell you that you played it wrong but what the hell, if you want to make things interesting, try these.....

• RoysterdoysterRoysterdoyster Frets: 617
    edited September 2018
    Delete wrong thread
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    Nancy Sinatra - These Boots, done in a surf-rock style with Dick Dale twangy overdriven guitar.

Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right, done as a 50s rock’n’roll dance number :).

Kylie - Can’t Get You Out Of My Head, done as an alt-rock song with a heavy crunch rhythm sound throughout and a wah solo.

(If you work out the chords it was clearly written on a guitar, so it’s a much easier conversion than it sounds.)

Any good song will work if you just strip it down to the chords and the vocal line and start again...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Kylie - Can’t Get You Out Of My Head, done as an alt-rock song with a heavy crunch rhythm sound throughout and a wah solo.

I wanna hear that....sounds awesome!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBM said:
    Nancy Sinatra - These Boots, done in a surf-rock style with Dick Dale twangy overdriven guitar.

Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right, done as a 50s rock’n’roll dance number :).

(If you work out the chords it was clearly written on a guitar, so it’s a much easier conversion than it sounds.)

Any good song will work if you just strip it down to the chords and the vocal line and start again...
    These Boots an oddly adaptable song - I remember the Megadeath version and the Symarip skinhead reggae version. 

Can't Get You Out written by a former member of The Sweet, IIRC, so maybe at heart it's a rock song anyway. I remember seeing Robert Plant doing a rock version of I Should Be So Lucky. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:

Well it was written by the guitarist from Mud!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfamps said:
    ICBM said:

Mud, not The Sweet! Damn, I should have got that right.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    edited September 2018
    jpfamps said:

I know .

The giveaway for it being written on a guitar is the BbMaj7#11 chord... otherwise known as A Major moved up a fret .

PolarityMan said:

I wanna hear that....sounds awesome!
    I found an old demo recording :).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tauy2muj0smd6n2/Can't Get You Out Of My Head.mp3?dl=0

Not great quality but you'll get the idea. It sounds like I did the solo with a filter plug-in after the event, but I always played it live with a wah pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Like that.  Going in the set alongside Hit Stuff by Donna Summer 
  • Like that.  Going in the set alongside Hit Stuff by Donna Summer 
    That must be another skinhead reggae cover! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Boy! Did someone dig up an old thread here.

If the OP or any other covers band is checking in, may I suggest:

T-Rex "Metal Guru"
    Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House" and "Girlfriend is Better"
    James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend"
    La Bamba
    Spaghetti Western Mashup
    Beach Boys' Surfin USA
    Dire Straits "Walk of Life", and as a real left fielder, their single "Twisting by the Pool"

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Gonna debut my version of Set Them Free by Sting tonight, I've jammed it a few times. The change from verses in Dm to choruses in Bm is reminiscent of Couldn't Stand the Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughan, and on the A7#9 for two bars at the end of the chorus progression going back into Dm I like to try my Robben Ford altered-dominant licks
    bigjon said:
    Gonna debut my version of Set Them Free by Sting tonight, I've jammed it a few times. The change from verses in Dm to choruses in Bm is reminiscent of Couldn't Stand the Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughan, and on the A7#9 for two bars at the end of the chorus progression going back into Dm I like to try my Robben Ford altered-dominant licks
    Also I haven't put it on the setlist but because it ties in with Mamma Mia 2 I might spring Hung Up by Madonna on my bandmates unannounced - the riff from Gimme Gimme Gimme a Man After Midnight is really heavy & the melody on top is a great sweep-picking set piece, used to go down really well ten years ago when it was a regular part of the set.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30924
    A rocked up v of Babt Hit Me One More Time (honestly)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

I segued into Poker Face tonight on the spur of the moment, turned out the dep bassist didn't recognise the song at all! He soon picked it up, though ;-)