pub rock - left field songs that work!

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• A band I saw last night did Word Up in the middle Gimme All Your Loving. They also did Cream by Prince.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

A ska/reggae band I used to play bass in did No Diggity for a while - as it just sits on E (IIRC) with no proper bass line, I used to mix in other bass lines to keep myself entertained, and see if anyone noticed.

Songs I managed to work in included; Come Together, Seven Nation Army, Another One Bites The Dust and Feel Good Inc. (Gorillaz).

One night I was squeezing Word Up in (it didn't really fit but that didn't bother me too much) when the singer/guitarist picked up on it and segued into it for a while and then we dropped back into No Diggity again, I felt like a "proper" musician ! ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Another one I used to do with a band I depped for a few times was Johnny B. Goode with a middle section consisting of the main riff from In The Mood, repeated four times going up a minor third each time and then back into JBG in the original key, but which now sounded lifted... not my idea, it would have to be someone who knows about music ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4923
    Alnico said:
    A lot of Mash up's are a bit of a laugh but there are some that are genius. The way the 'Band' (If you like) are still playing the original song but the new chord progression etc just works so well.

If i was still playing pubs and that circuit, i would definitely be doing this and loving watching the crowd realise it's two songs melted together. I appreciate you're going to get the nutters who come up afterwards to tell you that you played it wrong but what the hell, if you want to make things interesting, try these.....

I take your mash-up and raise you a live Heartbreaker Hotel...

• pub rock - left field songs that work!

Phat Planet?

Anyone done that gag yet?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Try INXS Need You Tonight but rock it up a bit.