Fender Strats with floyd rose

What's Hot
I'm a huge Alex Lifeson fan and have decided its time make my own Hentor Sportcaster (Lifesons customised 70s strat) Presently I'm toying with getting my 90's strat head Charvel ST custom resprayed Candy Apple Red and going from there but this will set me back a good £300 all in for the paint job. What are my best options for a Fender Strat if I buy used upto say 400-500? I don't know a great deal about Fender Strats..... - floyd rose - candy apple red or white with rosewood board - CBS headstock if possible - 12 radius if possible Electronics not important as ill be redoing those with a Bill Lawrence 500. Seen a few MIJ which almost fit the bill on Ebay. Is that my best route? Thanks Fenderers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac246/electricrusselluk/Mobile Uploads/37B9BE70-CFA5-4B0B-B6F5-7B763177FB03_zpsphbu1oqk.jpg The Charvel next to my 85 Howard Roberts Fusion, a cheaper alternative to the AL355 :-)
  • I've got a MIJ hot rod strat with Floyd Rose. It's replaced my les Paul standard as my main gigging guitar. I've not seen many with a 70's head shape. Have you considered a parts o caster? I've thought about building one with a reverse headstock.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17645
    tFB Trader
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17645
    tFB Trader
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited December 2013
    If the Socal had a rosewood board I'd be all over it like a cheap suit. I asked at Andertons for a Cherry Floyd Strat and they said there are none. I see now Richtone are ahowning one. I guess it might beat waiting for the right MIj with floyd to appear?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Awesome guitar for the cash. Mine gets taken to the Cambridge jams quite regularly.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Looks like that standard with floyd is now available off the shelf in USA and special order from Richtone so have to buy sight unseen. Wish I knew more about MIJ Strats - looks like that's where I need to look.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Fender Japan do a large headstock, gotoh floyd, hss strat for their domestic market, Gak are importing some, maybe ask them or check Ishibashi u-box, even then, maybe too expensive to import.
  • Hi Doug - thanks for the heads up. ill have a chat with GAK tomorrow,

• Ooo @Doug are you still selling your fender Floyd Rose neck. That's a good start for a project.
    @iseverynamegone Gak are importing some of the Fender Japan 2013 models not all afaik. @benvall yep, still for sale, other parts possibly avaiable all from a CAR Fender Japan HRR Strat, which suffered the quite common body wood cracking around the floyd post inserts. This is due to the humbucker route being too close to the post mounts, suprising given the usual Japanese build quality/attention to detail. Pic's up after xmas.
  • @Doug my one is a 3 piece body and the paint is cracking along the joints. Took it to a Tec. He just said play it till it falls apart then he'll put it together again. I'll keep an eye out for your other parts as I'd love another floyd rose strat. Sorry to derail the thread OP.
  • That's fine but you will have competition for that body from Doug less I get sorted :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2013
    Hopefully this'll work and give some idea of what's available in Japan, some absolute stunning Gotoh/Floyd Strats! (disregard the 21 fret Mex models) tho' as said, expensive, but maybe worthwhile to import if they are what you really want/GAS!  http://www.mule.co.kr/data/1/bbscontent.aspx?idx=4004609&page=8&sort=34&searchword=&searchregion=1#.UrzR2Pv6Tvo
     As  an option I'll rebuild the CAR 60's/Rosewood F/board HRR Strat I have and see how it plays, maybe sell/trade as is, or part out depending on the outcome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • apologies that i have nothing constructive to add but just wanted to wish you luck sir with your hentor guitar project.

i'm a huge fan of alex also (have been lucky to see rush 5 times/last time was the clockwork angels n.e.c gig this year).

am currently attempting to learn red barchetta,but the solo is tricky to learn (for me anyhoo).i just recently acquired my ibanez s 420 wb guitar,so can now attempt to learn some of his whammy bar stuff (my first guitar with a whammy/ibanez zr trem locking system,it's really good imho.just need to find a way of keeping the trem arm tight/going to try p.t.f.e tape).

sorry for the rambling (here's a bee by way of an apology  
    :bz
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My CC is groaning fret seeing that white Musicland key special edition - but they don't ship internationally . I have mailed a contact I have in Japan. I did speak to GAK but they were aware of getting any Jap Fr over. I guess with finders fees, import duties and the £550 list this hunt may be spiralling over my Gas limit but let's see how that 335 in the classifieds shifts :-). Thanks Doug appreciate the help. Thanks for the bee Race :-) - the phrasing is difficult in that solo in places, good luck with it. Effects wise be sure to set a quick delay and use a hartman flanger :-)
  • Feel free to make me an offer on the body / neck Doug. You gonna rout if for a Floyd and Gibson 3 way toggle on the lower horn ?:-)
  • It'll be a long shot but you could try to contact Johm Blackman at Far East Guitars. He imports Japanese fenders. He might be able to locate something you require.

A quick question if making a custom strat does the top of the body need to be routed for a FR trem? I thought Ed's frankinstrat wasn't routed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    benvall said:
    It'll be a long shot but you could try to contact Johm Blackman at Far East Guitars. He imports Japanese fenders. He might be able to locate something you require.

A quick question if making a custom strat does the top of the body need to be routed for a FR trem? I thought Ed's frankinstrat wasn't routed.
    The MIJ Charvels aren't back-routed. The newer ones are.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• No it wasn't, he had an old original floyd with no fine tuners flat mounted with no nut. For me ill be using it for lots of dives so think of heading the lock nut route and sacrificing historical accuracy for not losing tune every time i play limelight:-) i guess as much as anything the posts need installing :-O

Funny you mention John, he is posting a Greco SA700 to me today and I have mailed him about the Japan floyd strat. I just think that the price is going to be excessive once all the extras are on. Thanks though fella:-)