Cornell or Matamp?

What's Hot
joe2517joe2517 Frets: 2
Hey guys,

Looking to get either a Matamp Spirit or Cornell Romany 10; both seem to be a similar priced preowned at about £500-600. Wondering where my money would be better spent. I guess the Romany's 10" speaker is more versatile than the 8" Spirit but not sure if Matamp will be better quality. Any owners able to chip in with opinions?

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28233
    I've not tried the Matamp, but I have a Romany. I went to see Dennis and thought the 10 a little honky so ordered a custom one with a 12, which is lovely (though now surplus to requirements). That was some years ago now so the new 10s may well sound more open.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Matamp are not renowned for tweed. I'd go Cornell for that. Cornell quality is much better than Matamp in my experience, though Matamp make a solid amp too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I've heard it said (probably on here...) that the speaker is the weakest link in the Romany and you would be much better off replacing it with something else (or getting the 12")
  • joe2517joe2517 Frets: 2
    Not sure if I could afford the 12"; think the increased speaker size would push it out of my price range. Unless they've improved the 10" speaker otherwise.
    joe2517 said:
    Not sure if I could afford the 12";
    You might be able to afford mine...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/955075/#Comment_955075
    Very tempting! Does it have reverb?
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    The spirit was made from a load of left over (Tokai?)  tweed cabs and is not a tweed circuit. Whilst Matamp have the heritage and quality its not in the tweed market. I'm sure the Spirit is a good amp in its own right but if your after a tweed sound then the Cornell is the better choice. Again I would go for the 12inch version with reverb and bigger speaker. Both Cornell and Matamp are Artisans for sure just different spectrums of the market!

joe2517 said:
    Very tempting! Does it have reverb?
    No, but it does have a valve-driven effect loop into which such a thing could be put.
  • x-valves4everx-valves4ever Frets: 104
    Matamps are great amps but they have a definite British tonal quality, very strong in the mid range worth loads of punch....if you want the USA tweed, twang sound then it has to be the Cornell.....
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    From personal experience Cornell are at the top of beautifully hand made amps, near faultless and a joy to look at let alone play.

I tried a Romany Plus (although I think it might be changing it's name to the Romany 12) a couple of months back, it's well worth hunting one down for the reverb and 12" speaker. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I absolutely agree that a 12 makes the Romany much better (to my ears, obviously).

I also preferred the Rambler chassis with the controls on the front, but that's 'cos I had my amps up on stands.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Richardj said:
    From personal experience Cornell are at the top of beautifully hand made amps, near faultless and a joy to look at let alone play.

Have to disagree.  Mine got sold pronto after the first time I tried a Lazy J.

You would be better off saving up for a Lazy J.

There is something harsh in the top end I don't like about single ended amps.  I'd rather have a Princeton Reverb Reissue than a Romany Plus.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Sporky said:
    I absolutely agree that a 12 makes the Romany much better (to my ears, obviously).

Mine too. You should be able to get hold of a Romany Plus with the 12" and reverb around the £500-£600 mark. Older models with only the 10W and 2.5W selections are cheaper, but can be upgraded by Cornell for £100-odd if you really need the 1/2 and 1/4 watt settings.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You should be able to get hold of a Romany Plus with the 12" and reverb around the £500-£600 mark.
    Hmm. Might have overpriced mine a bit then?
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited May 2016
    crunchman said:

The Romany is a wonderful sounding amp and is in the OP's budget. That is why I am going to  recommend a used Romany (with 12") and not the £2k Carr Rambler.....as that would be a bit daft......pointless.

Maybe you would be better off saving up for a better guitar!
    :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Ouch! Touchpaper lit......!

I reckon the 12" Romany will be the best bet then; I'll keep an ear to the ground.
    Mine doesn't tickle your fancy? It is a Romany with a 12 after all...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Skipped said:
    crunchman said:

The Romany is a wonderful sounding amp and is in the OP's budget. That is why I am going to  recommend a used Romany (with 12") and not the £2k Carr Rambler.....as that would be a bit daft......pointless.

Maybe you would be better off saving up for a better guitar!
    :D
    The Romany is an ok amp but not in the same league as a Lazy J.  For me it's not even as good as PRRI that can be had for similar money.

I'd be better off saving up for lessons than yet another guitar!
  • Forget this particular Matamp...it really shouldn't bear the name.

Cornell with a 12" speaker.