Cornell or Matamp?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28266
    crunchman said:

The Romany is an ok amp but not in the same league as a Lazy J. 
    I've not tried a Lazy J, but aren't they several times as much money?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Sporky said:
    crunchman said:

The Romany is an ok amp but not in the same league as a Lazy J. 
    I've not tried a Lazy J, but aren't they several times as much money?
    The difference wasn't as big when I bought my Lazy J but that was in the very early days.  I paid around £1200 new.  The Cornell was around £800 new at the time.  With the newer ones it does depend on whether you get them loaded with all the options though.

The Cornell is not cheap these days - shops seem to be advertising them for £1145 new.  From what I can see a basic Lazy J is just over £1900 new, or around £2250 with Reverb.  If you are buying second hand then the Cornell won't hold its value like the Lazy J so the difference will be bigger.

If you are buying a Cornell thinking that it's a "boutique" amp that is as good as it gets then it's not.  Save up for the Lazy J.  If you are buying it because it's what you can get in your budget then its a bit different but even then I'd seriously question whether it's the best bang for buck.

Having owned the Cornell, I would honestly say that the Princeton Reverb Reissue is a much better sounding amp, and can be had for similar money - if not a little less.  To be honest I'd much rather have my old Hot Rod Deluxe (with a Weber 12F150 speaker ) back than have the Romany back.  As I said above there is something about most single ended amps that I don't like.  I think a good Push Pull power section seems to sound better.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    I don't see the point in comparing completely different types of amps, it's just personal preference. If you really like a single ended sound, they may sound great. If you prefer a tweaked tweed deluxe, all it really says is you prefer a tweaked tweed deluxe sound. If you're after a big tight rock amp, you may well think a Lazy J sounds like a piece of shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    I seem to remember a video on YouTube of someone running a Spirit through a 12" speaker. I think the Spirit is basically a Minimat in an 80s Tokai made tweed cab, although Hayden will be able to qualify that statement I think...

Where will you be using this amp, at home or for gigs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    I tried a Romany Plus a couple of weeks ago and there's no denying that the amp can do some fabulous tones.  My concern was that, like many great amps, it was a bit limited in the range of sounds on offer.  I walked away feeling impressed, but also that it wouldn't fit any of the stuff I'm currently playing.  IMHO etc.

As a slight aside, I thought the lowest power setting was a bit 'fizzy' compared to all the others..  Is this a known issue?
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited May 2016
    The Cornell Romany Plus/Pro is in my top 3 favourite amps of all time. (I think the Pro is better in most situations but these two models are the same design). The low power settings are a novelty. I have no idea what they are for because the full power setting is glorious.

It does not sound harsh.

I think the Emoticon in my earlier post may have been a mistake. Although it seems rude - and is a bit rude - my suggestion that a forum member is not hearing what some forum members are hearing (there are a few people here that love/rate Cornells) and that possibly..... they own a better guitar...... was not a joke. It was one possible explanation.

Mark Knopfler could tour with Cornell Romany Pros. No problem whatsoever. The audience would go home very happy.

crunchman said:
    If you are buying a Cornell thinking that it's a "boutique" amp that is as good as it gets then it's not.
    Mmm. Naive realism.

It is quite possible, you know, that those of us who like Cornell Romanys aren't cloth-eared idiots, and that your personal preference for a completely different style of amp is just that, a personal preference. No need to piss on everyone else's chips. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • joe2517joe2517 Frets: 2
    Thanks for the help guys; definetly set on a Romany, probably 12".

Just out of curiosity what sort of price would I be looking at for second hand Romany Pro or TR20? Are they significant upgrade tone-wise? Could you gig with them unmicced?
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    edited May 2016
    If you're after a tweedy sound, there's a Wienbrock @NBGuitar up for grabs in the classifieds. Good price, but a separate head might not be your preference...
    Sporky said:
    crunchman said:
    If you are buying a Cornell thinking that it's a "boutique" amp that is as good as it gets then it's not.
    Mmm. Naive realism.

It is quite possible, you know, that those of us who like Cornell Romanys aren't cloth-eared idiots, and that your personal preference for a completely different style of amp is just that, a personal preference. No need to piss on everyone else's chips. :)
    I was saying that as someone who liked the Cornell enough to buy it and use it.  When I tried a Lazy it was in a different class and I sold the Cornell and haven't regretted it at all.

Sorry if I came across badly but I wanted the OP to know that there are better amps out there.  Your opinion may be different but if he is looking for the the best amp he can possibly find he owes it to himself to to go out and try a bunch of stuff.  If he is looking for something within a fixed budget then the Cornell is a viable option - although I'd personally get a PRRI in that price range.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    crunchman said:
    Sporky said:
    crunchman said:
    Mmm. Naive realism.

I was saying that as someone who liked the Cornell enough to buy it and use it.  When I tried a Lazy it was in a different class and I sold the Cornell and haven't regretted it at all.

Sorry if I came across badly but I wanted the OP to know that there are better amps out there.  Your opinion may be different but if he is looking for the the best amp he can possibly find he owes it to himself to to go out and try a bunch of stuff.  If he is looking for something within a fixed budget then the Cornell is a viable option - although I'd personally get a PRRI in that price range.
    Surely these two amps are different design (single ended v class AB for a start). They are bound to exhibit different tonal characteristics which in turn will either appear or not to users, depending upon their tastes.

I find it hard to believe that the LazyJ is a "superior" product in every respect when compared to the Romany....just different.

exocet said:

I find it hard to believe that the LazyJ is a "superior" product in every respect when compared to the Romany....just different.

Have you played both?

I've owned both - still own the Lazy J.  I know it's more money but it's well worth it.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    crunchman;1066215" said:
    exocet said:

Have you played both?

I've owned both - still own the Lazy J.  I know it's more money but it's well worth it.
    I haven't played either and I doubt I ever will. The point I was making is that they are two different designs so will sound very different. Just because you preferred the LazyJ doesn't make the Cornell an inferior product to others.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited May 2016
    I haven't owned a Lazy J but I did spend an solitary hour trying two of them at Cowboymod in Oxford (well worth a look). I was rather underwhelmed. They were good but not the life-changing experience I was expecting. I was glad there were two as otherwise I would have assumed one was a dud.

Having lived with a Cornell I would say they are different amps. The Cornell sound is beautiful but it is quite a narrow repertoire - One trick pony sounds a harsh judgement but it is probably a fairer statement than most. But its a beautiful trick! :)
    crunchman said:
    if he is looking for the the best amp he can possibly find he owes it to himself to to go out and try a bunch of stuff
    I largely agree with that.

Though I also think that choosing and getting on with the music is likely to result in more happiness than spending too long making a decision, or weighing up too many options.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    Chalky said:
    The Cornell sound is beautiful but it is quite a narrow repertoire - One trick pony sounds a harsh judgement but it is probably a fairer statement than most. But its a beautiful trick! :)
    You could say the exact same thing about the Lazy J!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom