Strymon Timeline - is it really that good?

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I've been really impressed with the demos of the timeline tbh but an update must be on the horizon? And at the risk of ridicule I still think the vox delaylab is one of the best multi delays you can buy. It is the size of a bus but it costs sod all in delay terms
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If analogue - digital - digital - analogue conversion is concerning you, boss delays all have a dry analogue through.

To be honest, if you want tap tempo and great sounds without technology I wouldn't get a time line. I didn't think much of the one I tried, nice but not amazing. I'd go for the boss Dd7 and a separate tap tempo switch, or an analogue delay with tap tempo (I don't like analogue delays as much as digital because they're much less capable and digital modelling is there these days, imo). Both ensure your dry signal is untouched.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7346
    The problem I have is that I thought I was happy with my boss dd3 for digital delay, but now I've put it on the same board as my big box dmm it sounds shit in comparison.

Are there any analog delays with a tap tempo, subdivisions so you can select dotted quavers, and like 4 seconds of delay time?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You don't necessarily need analog to sound as good as the DMM. You could get an analog voiced digital delay.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Is there one with 4 seconds of delay time that sounds as good as the dmm? I couldn't see how many seconds the El capistan and brigadier had.
  • Yeah I tried to find out the same info, couldn't find anything. I'll see if I can dig some more info for you.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    It really is.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    I saw a couple of demos from the Nemesis last night and I'm pretty sure I'll be trying one out soon. It sounds immense, and the 'Helix' algo sounds JUST like the Mode 7 from the Boss PS-3 which is fantastic.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Free the Tone FlightTime

......but seriously needs a midi changer.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    Fretwired said:
    I have a Timeline and it's great, although I use my TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay more ... up to three delays at them same time ..

http://www.tcelectronic.com/flashback-triple-delay/
    While it works.

I've had reliability issues with TC stuff.  Get the Timeline or a Boss any day.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I recently bought the Timeline and the Big Sky. Both are fantastic. Along with my Mobius, and my multi-channel amps, I've got every sound I will ever need.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    I love the timeline and the bigsky - cant ever see them coming off my board (and I tend to always swap out pedals).  I didnt love the mobius however as it had that sterile digital thing going on that wasnt my bag. 
    I love the timeline and the bigsky - cant ever see them coming off my board (and I tend to always swap out pedals).  I didnt love the mobius however as it had that sterile digital thing going on that wasnt my bag. 
    I read that a lot, and it just hasn't been my experience at all.

As always OP, check it out for yourself.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    I have both the Timeline and Tonal Recall, they are both amazing, I can't really pick one over the other but if you have the space, I'd choose the Timeline due to feature set, if you don't or want something simpler then the Tonal Recall is awesome. The Timeline is a cleaner of the 2, Tonal Recall has a slight coloration in a nice way.
    For me the best thing about the Timeline is having direct knob access (turrr hurrr) to the modulation (speed and depth) and also the filtering and GRIT (internal distortion) - loads of great tones in a single algorithm all at the tip of your finger tips and no menu diving!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Drew_fx said:
    I recently bought the Timeline and the Big Sky. Both are fantastic. Along with my Mobius, and my multi-channel amps, I've got every sound I will ever need.
    I have a Timeline, Mobius and BigSky as well .. they work well together.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Dopesick;1062245" said:
    I saw a couple of demos from the Nemesis last night and I'm pretty sure I'll be trying one out soon. It sounds immense, and the 'Helix' algo sounds JUST like the Mode 7 from the Boss PS-3 which is fantastic.
    Oh man, really? That is interesting...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7482
    Is the Timeline drastically better than the Timefactor? You see far fewer 'factors on board shots... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I really love the timefactor - I had two. I think the digital sounds beats the timeline (which I also had for a good year). My main gripe with the factors are that you cannot tap tempo in preset mode without an external switch.

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

My same friend has a time factor in his board as well as the timeline. He says that he has absolutely no idea what he's doing with it compared to the timeline.