Please recommend a simple, easy to use device for home practice with headphones

What's Hot
OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
I'm about to move house, downsizing, so I'm losing my music room with full PA, kit and backline.

I need something I can use with headphones, plug my guitar into, choose amps/effects and practice.

The ability to play along to tracks is also essential for learning stuff. 

I use itunes for much of my CD collection, so perhaps there is something I can interface that with to upload music, probably an Apple product?

Please excuse my complete ignorance of these matters, but I have avoided technology in music all my life, so I'm a complete luddite.

I don't mind spending a bit for the right thing rather than buying budget and not being happy with it.

Cheers,
Rob.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    If you already have an iphone or ipad then try Jamup, Bias, Garageband etc. 

You just need an interface to plug your guitar into the device. I use an Apogee Jam, though there are lots of options. Just ensure you get one that plugs into the lightning port and not the headphone jack, cos those ones are rubbish.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27512
    The iPad really is a great device for playing through. There's an app for more or less everything, and a range of different input options depending on what you want to spend.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    @ttony can you suggest some apps interfaces for the iPad? Could be useful when out and about.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Korg Pandora perhaps ? or iRig
    edited May 2016
    The interface I use (now) is the Apogee Jam. You can buy cheaper, and you can buy more expensive, but this seems to work fine, plus it comes with new & old ipad connectors and a USB cable all in the box, so you can plug it in most places.

Apps ... JamUp Pro with a fair few of the add-on packs.  I've got a load of the amp sims and FX, plus the 8 track recorder too.  They have frequent sales though, so start with the basic app and wait for them to tempt you with an offer.  GarageBand is ridiculously good VFM.

There are dozens of other apps out there, but I've found the number of apps installed has an inverse relationship with the amount of time spent playing (rather than twiddling apps).

• SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Sweet, thank you both for the suggestions, I'll look up the Pandora, iRig and the Apogee Jam.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    OK, I'll start with an iPad.

Now, which one ?! I can see them at anything from £200 to over £1000. 

I just need what will do the job.

Cheers,
    Rob
    IPad choice.

1.  Screen size.  Unless you *really* need the mini for space/pocket ability reasons, I'd go with the standard for more comfortable screen real estate.  ("Air2")

2.  Wifi or "cellular"?  As you've already got a phone, tick the wifi box.

3.  Storage - 64gb, don't even think about anything less.  There are some useful storage add-ons if/when you fill that up (SanDisk).

£429.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited May 2016
    The iPad solution is a powerful one, but if you want to keep things simpler the Blackstar Fly has an aux in and headphones out for jam along moments. The Vox Amphones, whilst not sounding stellar, are also a tidy and easy to set up solution and have an aux in. I always take mine travelling with me.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    What @Ttony said. I have a 64GB Mini and it's lovely and small and lightweight which makes it very portable, but if it's only for home use I'd go for the regular 9.7" one. 

The newest iPad Pro 9.7" is the most future-proof but for your purposes anything available on Apple.com would be absolutely fine (I'm assuming that's probably the Air 2). 

You can get Garageband free iirc, which would get you started very nicely. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    iPad with Line 6 Sonicport. The mobile Pod software comes with it and you can also use Amplitude and directly import iTunes files and play along with them.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Thanks for all the input chaps, it's been invaluable.

So, I have ordered an iPad 2 Air 64GB direct from the Apple store which will be here on Tuesday. Also an Apogee Jam Interface from Andertons.

I guess I can download the apps when it's all up and running, right?

I am being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century! 

Now, is there an app to reproduce the smell of dust burning with that sweet smell of old Fender tolex? 

Cheers,
    Rob.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Atomic Amplifire

Ossyrocks said:
    So, I have ordered an iPad 2 Air 64GB direct from the Apple store which will be here on Tuesday. Also an Apogee Jam Interface from Andertons.

I guess I can download the apps when it's all up and running, right?
    Look, just because you've copied my setup, doesn't mean you'll be able to play like me, OK???

Luckily for you.

;)

And yes, just set up your Apple ID, logon to the App Store, and download all the apps you want.  I'd start with JamUp basic, make sure you're happy with the way that it works and the sounds quality, then look at all the extra add on packs.  Have fun ...
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited May 2016
    Grab the Boss BR-80 that is in the classifieds at the moment, it's a great little box of tricks that even allows you to record your ideas. I have one and think it's great, look them up on YouTube to see all its functions. Edit:
    Tomorrow will be a good day.