I want to get into jazz, nice!

What's Hot
robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
edited May 2016 in Music
Found this - love it!

And this is insane!

So any recommendations for someone who knows nowt but seems to have a leaning towards the modern end of jazz, nice!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Dirty Loops are incredible - especially the bass and drums - ooft :d A whole album of it can be a bit much but they are stunning.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Medeski, Martin & Wood...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M_sHiOQMVY&list=PL91E6EB3BD02A35C1&index=2

And, in true 'Jazz Club' style, Polar Bear...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyyUxM2CyGo

Nice   :>
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    On The Corner? Yikes. 

I'd say that anyone who likes jazz of any vintage needs to hear Kind Of Blue:

...which is a great starting point for Miles Davis' whole career, which has more gold in it than anyone has a right to. His "electric period" should be of interest to people coming from a rock/soul/blues/R&B sort of background- lots of tasty John McLaughlin guitar on In A Silent Way, A Tribute To Jack Johnson (which is very rock influenced) and Bitches Brew. On The Corner is probably the most divisive of his electric albums among jazz fans- some argue it's not jazz at all, but it sounds modern even now and is funky as hell. 

For more modern stuff, try Jaga Jazzist:

or Snarky Puppy:

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited May 2016
    Nice, it's all music to my ears............................
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
    Dirty Loops vid - listen to some 70s & 80s Stevie Wonder - Songs in the key of llife, Innervisions & Talking Book especially

Bad Plus - that's pretty generic Piano/Bass/Drums (good nonetheless) - anything from 1950s onwards, it's not really THAT modern. Listen to Keith Jarrett and/or Brad Mehldau for that kind of stuff
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited May 2016
    Kind of Blue is a great place to start.
    You have to figure out what you like. You might hate Art Blakey but love other musicians from the same era.

Here is what I like:

Wynton Marsalis (from Standard Time Vol 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80PSXB5688s

Oscar Peterson. (Needs to be heard loud. With the double bass shaking the furniture)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9FfXQs4-A&index=15&list=PL0BF7FA4B497B5617

Patricia Barber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7EkwcB3TKg&list=PLoEGsQZk_UKGt4EZq4y7F1YyX_An7XvyT&index=97

• I have Kind of Blue on vinyl, its chuffing awesome, Paul Chambers bass playing rules.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    John Etheridge
    John Scofield

Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrel

John Coltrane, Miles Davis

Charlie Parker

... and if you wish to approach your jazz from the bluesy end, John Mayall's Jazz/Blues Fusion and Moving On records, with Freddy Robinson on guitar :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    I have Kind of Blue on vinyl, its chuffing awesome, Paul Chambers bass playing rules.
    Everybody's everything on that record rules. It really is something special.

Seriously, if you can listen to Kind of Blue and not get anything from it, ears are wasted on you.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• sg1300tsg1300t Frets: 13
    edited May 2016
    Thelonius Monk, never as simple as it seems

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    I have some studying to do!

Thanks guys - nice!

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Anyone mentioned 'Kind of Blue' yet?

It's great. Really great....
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Anyone mentioned 'Kind of Blue' yet?

It's great. Really great....
    Schmoking, you might say
    Stop crying, start buying
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    edited May 2016
    Kind Of Blue is an essential album.

For more modern stuff, check out some Esbjorn Svensson Trio. Strange Place For Snow or Live in Hamburg are probably good places to start.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I reckon he'd like Kind of Blue... I've heard it's widely regarded :) It has some lovely themes and great solos. Very well recorded too.

I like John Coltrane's Giant Steps and A Love Supreme very much too. Amazing stuff.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited May 2016
    I reckon he'd like Kind of Blue... I've heard it's widely regarded :) It has some lovely themes and great solos. Very well recorded too.

I like John Coltrane's Giant Steps and A Love Supreme very much too. Amazing stuff.

ANYTHING recorded at the old Columbia Studios in the jazz/ classical vein is well recorded.

I reckon those blokes working there in those rooms were almost- but not quite- as good as the crew at Abbey Road in their prime.

Here ya go. This is an obvious jazz track but it sounds absolutely stellar. Of course it's wonderful for the playing, especially the wonderful Paul Desmond on alto, but just listen to that natural reverb. That's the sound of a great room and great players being recorded by experts.

:-B

Now here's another Miles Davis track, On Green Dolphin Street, cut with the same band who played on Kind of Blue, but not playing a modal tune but a standard. If you get to like Miles Davis, just make sure you make a point of listening to everything this band with Bill Evans on piano put down on tape. There's not much but it's right up there as one of the greatest jazz bands ever. All recorded in that same lovely room as the Brubeck track track I think. Jesus, I could don my cardigan, Hush Puppies, lean back and puff on my pipe and talk about this stuff for days... I mean the drumming on this track. Jesus Christ, just listen to it. I mean really listen to it. Total command of the instrument or what?!

Here's one more for you. Bill Evans a few years later, this time in a piano-bass-drums trio. This is called Jade Visions. This is another good example of 'modern' jazz, i.e. 60s stuff before the free jazz and rockier elements came more to the fore. This is getting pretty abstract, I guess, but it's beautiful and remains wonderfully accessible.

• simonsimon Frets: 41
    edited May 2016
    Starter:

Main Course:

Agree with the poster above. I've listened to these two at least weekly for thirty years or so and find something new every time.

I'm currently also in love with 'In a Silent Way' by Miles. Sublime through good headphones late at night:

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    If the OP can get Jazz FM where he lives, the nightly 'Dinner Jazz' show offers a very good selection of less up tempo jazz. I've heard a lot of good stuff for the first time there. They play more or less anything and everything from about 1950 to the present. They only omit Trad and Swing not because they're bad or inferior, but because they tend to be a bit more energetic than the stuff they usually play.
  • Sonny Rollins....

End of errand.