I want to get into jazz, nice!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• simonsimon Frets: 41
    edited May 2016
    Sonny Rollins....

End of errand. 
    Sonny is still an amazing player even in his twilight years. I last saw him about four years ago at the Barbican and it was one of the greatest gigs I've ever seen. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/9685184/Sonny-Rollins-London-Jazz-Festival-Barbican-review.html

Hard to know where to start with his music, but I'd go for 'Tenor Madness' and 'Saxophone Colossus' for the sheer joy they exude. For something more intense, both volumes of 'A Night at the Village Vanguard' are fantastic recordings. I love the stripped down trio format on these and you feel like you're at the club 50 years ago.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited May 2016

The album I'm really fond of by Rollins is " The Bridge " 

Getz and Coltrane...

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Yes the Bridge is wonderful, especially for Jim Hall's tone. You don't miss a piano at all. Astonishing playing.

Going back to Miles Davis, I am almost starting to prefer ESP from 1965 more than Kind of Blue. I don't think jazz based around coventional songs has got much beyond this in the intervening years. It still sounds very fresh and 'modern' to me.

• ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited May 2016
    Skarloey said:
    Yes the Bridge is wonderful, especially for Jim Hall's tone. You don't miss a piano at all. Astonishing playing.

Going back to Miles Davis, I am almost starting to prefer ESP from 1965 more than Kind of Blue. I don't think jazz based around coventional songs has got much beyond this in the intervening years. It still sounds very fresh and 'modern' to me.

I like to go a bit further back with Miles...the great quintets of the 50's, particularly the first one 56ish  contain enough musical imagination to sustain me a lifetime.. extraordinary musicians...

A nice little tie in between Miles and Rollins, is the Jim Hall & Bill Evans collaboration...Undercurrent...lovely interplay..

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I can honestly say that I have liked everything so far so am going to explore the 50's/60's classics as well as some modern melodic stuff. The only thing I really don't get is the Fast Show style improvised stuff - not 'nice'!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom