Gig come-down

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
I don't know about you guys but after a gig I'm always on a massive downer for days after. 
There's a (jazzer!!) here who says he tries not to gig toomuch for that reason lol!
I'm still on a downer from Saturday!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jesus Tommy, how much marching powder did you get through?? 
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    I get a day or two of happy, then post gig blues...where I want to play again!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Lol... It's an accumulative thing, as well... the more I do it, the longer it drags on for. At the same time, the more I gig, the more I look at all my gear (small relative to some people on here) and think "WTF... get rid and just have one guitar" 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    I've found one gig is ok, you just wake up the next day a bit tired and have a lazy day. Two in a row is a bit more intense. Three or more and after the last one when I go back to doing normal things I feel like I've just arrived from a different planet. I do get most of my gig come down on the drive home though - and I've learned to try to enjoy that time rather than feel miserable about stuff - maybe put on some classical music or talk radio in the wee hours as I cruise down the M6 or whatever.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I don't gig very often so jigging about in front of strangers does need a come down stage. If I've done a couple or more close together then it's a bit more routine.
    I don't really take a breather after I've finished playing, it's last note and start taking stuff down. Maybe I should have five minutes then just to wind down first.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I don't gig very often so jigging about in front of strangers does need a come down stage. If I've done a couple or more close together then it's a bit more routine.
    I don't really take a breather after I've finished playing, it's last note and start taking stuff down. Maybe I should have five minutes then just to wind down first.
    I've found it's setlist/ situation dependent. When I was in a pub covers band there wasn't really much emotional attachment to it; I just played the tunes, had a good time and went home afterwards.

When I was in a Floyd tribute band it was a bit more serious because we'd practice a particular album for months before performing it, and you'd kinda get into the headspace of it a bit.

With my originals bands it's always a genuinely emotional experience to gig, because I write the songs and the lyrics are often, though oblique to an outsider, very personal to me - my fears, my desires, problems I've dealt with in my own life. To perform them authentically and with conviction I can't just be up on stage going through the motions, they draw me in and the almost spiritual interaction between the band, the crowd and the music you're making is like a drug or an out of body experience when it's at its best. Conversely, when things go badly - unreactive crowd, bad sound, gear failure etc - I do take it badly on an emotional level even though I know intellectually that it doesn't really matter. Either way, when I get off stage it takes a while to rebalance myself mentally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414

I did 3 gigs last week, only got 2 this week then 3 the next week and then  5 the week after. I would happily do more, I get a bit restless if it's been more than 4 or five days between gigs. So the best cure is to do more gigs ;)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Coke before, heroin after.

Worked for Layne Staley.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31602
    It's because you're not gigging enough. I remember when I started gigging in proper bands when I was 17, it was a huge emotional rollercoaster from a week before to a week after.

These days you can ask me where I gigged last night and half the time I can't remember whether I even had one or not, I have to look in my wallet to check.

As @Cirrus says, it depends on what type of gig it is, but the audience at even the most successful pub covers gig is talking about which club to head to next as your last number is fading away, it really isn't life-changing stuff for anyone so try to keep some perspective.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I'm under no illusion our band is changing anybody's life lol :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    p90fool said:
    It's because you're not gigging enough.
    I sympathize with the OP because I get savage gig comedowns that last for weeks. But Mr. P90 is correct... when you're gigging regularly it doesn't really happen.

I think it's to do with the burst of happy chemicals in your brain - "ooooo everyone is looking at my big musical dick!!"

... and then 30 minutes to an hour later it's over, and no-one is looking at you anymore....

nosedive from that point in my experience!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Danny1969 said:

I did 3 gigs last week, only got 2 this week then 3 the next week and then  5 the week after. I would happily do more, I get a bit restless if it's been more than 4 or five days between gigs. So the best cure is to do more gigs ;)

3 gigs in a week is optimum I find. whilst maintaining a full on job, and not neglecting to family too much. 
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906

I do quite a few gigs, and don't really get this feeling, I am sure it is similar to post-fight/violence adrenaline comedown which is well-documented. I would imagine that doing something physical would help.

I like to have a morning-after ritual of coiling all the cables nicely, replenishing merch items, etc. The battle is over and the sword has been cleaned, sharpened and is ready for the next one!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    Drew_fx said:
    p90fool said:
    It's because you're not gigging enough.
    I sympathize with the OP because I get savage gig comedowns that last for weeks. But Mr. P90 is correct... when you're gigging regularly it doesn't really happen.

I think it's to do with the burst of happy chemicals in your brain - "ooooo everyone is looking at my big musical dick!!"

... and then 30 minutes to an hour later it's over, and no-one is looking at you anymore....

nosedive from that point in my experience!
    Ah, but you're in a proper band, where the songs are your babies and the gigs are further apart but emotionally far more important. I usually have an originals project on the go too, and it's far more involving than hacking out covers, though I have a duty to take pride in that too.

I like to have a morning-after ritual of coiling all the cables

Isn't that every morning?

Oh, wait...
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    p90fool said:

I like to have a morning-after ritual of coiling all the cables

Isn't that every morning?

Oh, wait...

The adrenaline keeps me regular!

Our drummer refers to pre-gig nervy bowel movements as a "showbiz poo".

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • jamesjames Frets: 50
    I do occasional gigs with no problems. but touring is a big come down. It's probably the biggest whirlwind, departure from normal life I get, for a week at a time. Rolling in to the office the Monday after feels like a huge low! 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6499
    Cirrus said:
    I've found one gig is ok, you just wake up the next day a bit tired and have a lazy day. Two in a row is a bit more intense. Three or more and after the last one when I go back to doing normal things I feel like I've just arrived from a different planet. I do get most of my gig come down on the drive home though - and I've learned to try to enjoy that time rather than feel miserable about stuff - maybe put on some classical music or talk radio in the wee hours as I cruise down the M6 or whatever.

I used to always have to drive a bandmate back from gigs, now I can enjoy the journey home :) I cranked a load of Prince albums on the way home last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kept me awake on the drive back home from the Lakes (..I politely declined the groom's offer of some Speed...) I find the post-gig blues hits me like a hammer right at the moment when I remember I have to pack all the gear back up and lug it back into the car and then the house..

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    I recommed treating yourself to a beer and a hand shandy when you get in. Rub it out son!
    I used to always have to drive a bandmate back from gigs
    I've gone to great lengths in the past to avoid having to share a car with anyone.  :))