Gig come-down

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    I do up to 3 function gigs per week meaning at least 1 will be on a weekday.
    I don't go to bed before 1 and I have a reg. day job like the op.

The comedown varies depending on the load in-out deal, the dead time between sets or between check and opening, the amount of alcohol or water in my body, how much my ears got punished, how many I smoked (proportional to non-playing time) and weather (eg Marquee in Cumbria in Feb and the couple didn't pay for heating) 

So, if I have loads of water, don't smoke much, protect my ears, get an easy loader and don't freeze or sweat and then freeze I'm fine the next day. 
    If I don't do those it's 1 full lazy day before I'm back to shape
    When I do 2 in an row (Fri - Sat.) Sunday is a lazy day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I've found that a Maccy's or similar staves off the comedown a bit. It's difficult for me to decide when to start packing up after the gig - too quick and I'm missing a lot of the "well played mate" stuff... but hanging around too long brings the proper adrenalin shelf comedown, then I can't face loading the car. (this is where the carpet burger comes in). 

I can see how easy it would be for touring acts to get into artificial fixes for this. I promised myself that I'd never let gigs affect my family life so Sunday mornings are spent watching my son play football no matter how tired I am. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited August 2016
    I wont be having gig comedown much now as we're not getting any gigs!

Also, rant here.... we reduced practice from 7-10pm Wednesdays to 8-10pm... 
    The time it takes us to set up and down, I feel it's not worth it (I get set up pretty fast, though). 

--> The rub is that key people who were late before are STILL late. Can you believe it!? They'll get in around 8:15pm and wont be ready to go until 8:30pm! I actually think they're having an affair or something as one will send texts during practice, the other will check their phone and give a secret smile, and they often leave at the same time lol... The lateness thing sucks, though. 

I really can't be doing with it right now. If I had another band to slot into, I'd totally do it.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader

The time it takes us to set up and down, I feel it's not worth it (I get set up pretty fast, though). 

--> The rub is that key people who were late before are STILL late. Can you believe it!? They'll get in around 8:15pm and wont be ready to go until 8:30pm! I actually think they're having an affair or something as one will send texts during practice, the other will check their phone and give a secret smile, and they often leave at the same time lol... The lateness thing sucks, though. 

I really can't be doing with it right now. If I had another band to slot into, I'd totally do it.
    Tell 'em rehearsals start at 7:30....

(And refer to it as rehearsals not 'practice'....sounds and feels more professional for everybody) :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've never even heard of this.
    Are you guys getting down on the night directly after the gig, like the hours immediately after?

I might have misunderstood but if i'm right then absolutely not, never.
    I LOVE gigging, always have. (Wish i still could).
    In the hours and days afterwards i am as high about it as i was on stage. I can't find a reason not to feel fucking epic after playing live on stage. 

If i played a gig and then didn't for lets say 4 weeks, i would be a bit down on week 2 but after that it would just be pure excitement building up to the next gig which would feel like that 'Going on holiday' feeling on the day of the gig. Honestly, aside from 'special interest' parties it's the best thing on earth to spend time doing and even on the day of the gig i spend the whole day on a high looking forward to it. I also keep a completely clear diary that day, say no to absolutely everyone and take the entire day for myself, even if i'm not playing until the evening. Relaxed happy mind, Relaxed, happy, focused player and a better chance of enjoying the whole gig.

Does stage fright and this 'Gig come down' go hand in hand? It's just occurred to me as i'm typing.
    Do you guys who get come downs ever suffer any kind of stage fright?

I don't and never have, i love being up on stage and i'm usually the first one up there and the last one to leave.

Is there any substance this?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    miserneil said:

Tell 'em rehearsals start at 7:30....

(And refer to it as rehearsals not 'practice'....sounds and feels more professional for everybody) :-)
    IME this works once, then they get wise :)

• Gigging last night at a wedding, in bed at 1:57am, up at 7:15am  for the day job, feel hungover (I'm not) and not entirely looking forward to Saturday's gig in Plymouth, which, even my elementary geography skills confirm, is not local to Birmingham.

For me the comedown starts the moment I snap out of the last song euphoria and remember that all this shit needs to be broken back down and put back into my car...then driven home and unpacked again. And then loaded into the house.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10414
    I don't envy you guys who do a lot of gigs and have day jobs. I gig'ed last night, got a gig tonight and 2 on Saturday but working for myself at home means I effectively start work when I want .... which today will probably be in a hour when I've drunk enough coffee 

I can remember the tiredness of weekday gig's and early starts for work, that tiredness that seems to physically hurt and the funny taste you get in your mouth from lack of sleep. Thank god those days are over for me

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I enjoy the after feeling. funny one last week. after the gig we met up at a nearby kebab shop for late night munchies, while waiting a bunch of girls came in and shouted "ooh look its the band" all excitedly. for a brief few minutes we all felt like royalty........ yes, living the dream
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom