hmm...i think i've made a big mistake

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    If you make the Paul O'Grady to Eddie Izzard swap, you might get better results :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    If you make the Paul O'Grady to Eddie Izzard swap, you might get better results :-)
    i prefer the Julian Clary  model!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1446
    samzadgan;1079515" said:
    ..so i turned the treble knob back...and at exactly 2 o'clock the fizz went away...i also realised the bass was too high, so now, unlike every other amp i own/played the bass is below 12 o'clock...but it no sounds perfect...clean and with pedals.
    Sounds like my stock Lightning settings when I had it (master wide open). The beauty of these amps is the clean to mildly driven sounds for me.

For old school boost, try a Range Master clone. For more drive, try a cheap Klon clone (Soul Food), for even more, a Hot Cake and for more than that you'll need a Rat.

Hey @dodge, thanks...your not the first to say range master...i might have to do it...ive always wanted to try the Naga Viper.

Btw @ICBM do you know what the resistor on the bass pot is for?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    edited May 2016
    samzadgan said:

Btw @ICBM do you know what the resistor on the bass pot is for?
    It's the midrange setting. In amps with a mid control it's a pot rather than a fixed resistor. The Vox-style tone stack is unusual - actually because it was copied from a wrongly-drawn Gibson schematic! - in that turning the bass up full turns down the midrange, which is why there is that change in the mids when the bass knob is about 3/4 of the way up.

If you want to experiment, the useful range is from 0 (no mid at any setting of the bass control) up to about 25K (the mid pot value in a Marshall-type circuit) or possibly 250k (mid in a Boogie) - bear in mind it's a Log scale so ten times the value doubles the amount, roughly.

That's probably too much information :). 10K or 25K is probably as far as I would go with that amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Right...that explains a lot with regards to how the eq worked and how i got the best sound out of the amp.

It sounds fine as it is...and has enough mids...it surprisingly has a lot of bass so even with the knob at about 10 o'clock its enough low end, i guess thats by design so you get some mids coming through.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    I'm almost certain it wasn't intentional - someone (I can't remember who) has researched it, and compared the original Vox and Gibson schematics to show how one was copied from the other - but the Gibson drawing has a mistake, showing the third terminal of the bass pot grounded when it wasn't actually so on the amps. If the terminal isn't grounded, the tone stack works conventionally with a bass control and fixed mids - but with it grounded, turning the bass up full shorts out the mid resistor.

Vox faithfully copied the incorrect schematic - so that unique 'sweet spot' on the Vox bass control where it just starts to cut the mids and you can finely dial it in is a happy accident. (Like so many things in guitar amps!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    So its original design!!! ;)

Interesting though...marshall copied fender...vox copied Gibson...UK was to amps as Japan was to small electrical appliances!