'Pedal Platform' amps ?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7524
I've always (and for a fairly long time) liked an used amps that break up by design (e.g. JMP, 18watter, Drz Maz, JCM800) but ever since building up my 'big board' I'm liking having lots of tonal options right there, and have been wondering about the 'other' approach - the clean amp as a platform.

What are the different types/families of amps that work well this way, and anyones experiences of them? 

Just strikes me as an interesting topic I know very little about
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    My two setups work like this, suhr badger 30 as the break up amp boosted with usually a two stage overdrive (fulldrive 2, comp cut mode)

My other setup is a deluxe reverb as a clean platform, using two low gain and a higher gain overdrive selection for different drive flavours. (klone, fulldrive 2 TS mode, sl drive)

The clean platform setup is better for the wedding functiony stuff, but for balls out rock'n'roll the suhr does it. Its a more limiting setup but does that one big marshally thing very well indeed - better than the sl drive/fender combo...
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28546
    That was my amp approach. I used:

Peavey Studio Pro 112
    Mesa F50
    Cornell Romany Custom
    MJW Roadstar 2x10

The Peavey was my first amp and lasted me ten years or so. It was a few years before I realised it had two channels (it didn't come with a footswitch or manual for some reason).

The Cornell and MJW did sound different but complimented each other. I had just the Cornell for years before adding the Mesa (briefly) and then the MJW for stereo. The Mesa was just no use at home; it'd have been very decent at higher volume though.

I also used a JC120 (not mine) for gigging (obviously a jolly long time ago now!) and that worked brilliantly too. Essentially I'd say you want something reasonably "flat" sounding - not FRFR, but not something with lots of "honk".

Were there a meetup you'd be welcome to try the Cornell with your stuff.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    edited May 2016
    I used a Vox Night Train 50 head like this for quite a while. The gain channel is a bit OTT for my taste but the clean channel stays clean to a very loud volume. You can also switch out the tone stack which adds a bit of breakup as you wind up the volume but the power section "tone cut" pot stays in the circuit if you need to tame some highs. It runs a pair of EL34's in the power amp unlike the typical Vox style EL84's. It has a switchable effects loop as well but you'd only need to use that if you used the gain channel - if you're running it clean and getting dirt from pedals, just stick everything in front of the amp - works like a charm.

I bought it as a pedal platform, kept it on the clean channel and used pedals for dirt - worked really well. You can pick them up for quite reasonable money used and they look ace too. Mine is the original chrome version.

Also had great success with Solid State combos - Roland Cube 60 and 80XL and a Tech 21 TM60.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    The trusty Marshall MG100HD clean channel sounded good to my ears when called upon.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • velvetsky01velvetsky01 Frets: 71
    Victory V40?
    Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Brunetti singleman is billed as a pedal platform.

Avoid a fargen townhouse 20. Piece of junk.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    I wouldn't rule out a Roland JC40. Stereo inputs, beautiful clean tone, great for stereo reverb & delay, your H9s will sound spectacular.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    The Puretone is pretty much the ultimate clean pedal platform. 

You can hear them on the "That pedal show videos"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 799
    edited May 2016
    I've found that once you get the Deluxe Reverb (65RI) up above neighbour-friendly volumes then the whole 'bright cap makes pedals fizzy' thing doesn't happen anymore and it becomes a very handy pedal platform, which is smaller and lighter than HRD (albeit with less headroom obviously). Even at home volumes, TS- and Rat-based pedals (and the liquid sunshine) work just fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    I've found that once you get the Deluxe Reverb (65RI) up above neighbour-friendly volumes then the whole 'bright cap makes pedals fizzy' thing doesn't happen anymore and it becomes a very handy pedal platform, which is smaller and lighter than HRD (albeit with less headroom obviously). Even at home volumes, TS- and Rat-based pedals (and the liquid sunshine) work just fine.
    I had the same problem at first but realised when you get to a gig and crank it a bit its fine.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 799
    even with the volume at 2 or 3 it's a lot warmer sounding.
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    The Peavey JSX clean channel takes pedals well. It is really clean up to serious volume levels. Not weedy or thin though.
    I agree about the Hughes and Kettner too. My Duotone clean channel is great for pedals straight in.
  • The jcm800 is actually a good choice I have found. Blackface fender amps are trendy, but can make a lot of distortion boxes very fizzy and crackly. Big Marshall amps set clean love big fuzz pedals like muffs, and also do great with medium gain overdrive. It's a bit less subtle than the fender approach, though I find it easier to get nice sounds through a Marshall style.

However... I've heard some incredible sounding rigs using a blackface or silverface fender and a board, with all distortion coming from Rats and stuff. So its doable for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13951
    Victory V40

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Best choice is a fairly neutral clean amp that will break up nicely when pushed at the front end. Ideally the power section stays clean all the way up.

My favourite is my Dr Z EZG. It will produce sublime harmonics, sag and  distortion when pushed with a clean boost, but hit it with a nasty distortion and it will hold up remarkably well, even in drop tuning. You'll need cycle clips to stop 'em flapping.  Needs the right cab of course, mine is a vertical oversize 2x12 with an Emi Red Fang and an EV. very 'present' and direct, never gets wooly. Very very versatile, never found a drive pedal it didn't like and I must have tried 30 or so over the years. It is an AB763 circuit but with higher filtering on the power supply and a fairly meaty OT, never found any overdrive pedal to sound fizzy as mentioned above, apart from an Xotic BB Plus but it sounded like that through everything, it was the pedal not the amp.

I also use my Ceriatone OTS similarly, using the clean channel only. very good but not as good as the EZG. Not quite got the bass response.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I'd say the BassBreaker 18/30 would be a great pedal platform, one sparkly side, one darker middlier chewier side. No fx loop tho, so if you are anal about pristine delays and verbs, look elsewhere.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    Carr Rambler.
  • Tried all sorts. Best in my opinion is dr z maz 38. Just enough grit but leaves enough headroom to get a solo volume boost.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    edited May 2016
    Dr Z EZG is a great shout...

... But bettered, as a pedal platform, by the superb Carr Rambler...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Warren...... Deluxe Versus SuperReverb on steroids. No contest!!.