'Pedal Platform' amps ?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    You are all wrong

the answer is a Hiwatt
    THis.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31635
    professorben;1082731" said:
    [quote="TimmyO;1082563"]It's interesting - the Bassbreaker is getting lots of positive comments but I'm really not hearing it in any of the demos I've watched - anyone got links to the ones that have turned their head? 
    I also wasn't turned on by any of the demos.
    Then I played one it was glorious, I'd suggest get your guitar and board and hit the nearest shop that's got one.
    [/quote]

Exactly. I tried the 45w combo on Wednesday at A-Strings with a Classic 50s Tele and a LP Jr and it sounded exactly as I'd hoped. It's loud though, even with the attenuation at it's most extreme. It won't break up much at home volume unless your neighbours are out.

I didnt actually try it with pedals but it would obviously work well, and the attenuator lets you find that wonderful sweet spot just before it audibly distorts.
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    Related question; If i wanted a JTM45 but didnt want a huuuge old head and cab, what would be the best way to go about it? 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7527
    TimmyO;1082563" said:
    It's interesting - the Bassbreaker is getting lots of positive comments but I'm really not hearing it in any of the demos I've watched - anyone got links to the ones that have turned their head? 
    I also wasn't turned on by any of the demos.
    Then I played one it was glorious, I'd suggest get your guitar and board and hit the nearest shop that's got one.
    aye, always the best bet 
    ta
    Red ones are better. 
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102

Related question; If i wanted a JTM45 but didnt want a huuuge old head and cab, what would be the best way to go about it? 
    The Bluesbreaker 2x12 combo. Either that or a small box head form the 70s with a 2x12 cab.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited May 2016
    No love for the Astoria series?

..Actually just checked the prices and there Crazy!
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    I saw King Zapata (Gary Clark jnr sideman) was using a Bassbreaker at Coachella. He always has amazing tone. Hell of a player that guy
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    edited May 2016
    Not pristine clean but I actually like the cleans I get from my Laney GH50L, takes pedals well too. I'm thinking of trying a Super Crunch Box as my main dirty tone for a more marshally vibe than the amps built in distortion. As someone else has said I'm starting to find pedals a bit more versatile having always been a single channel amp guy.

Certainly sounds good with my Keeley Rat in front of it imo-

:)
  • NickBotfieldNickBotfield Frets: 143
    Gassage said:
    You are all wrong

the answer is a Hiwatt
    This.
    The best live guitar sound I ever heard was the band Fighting With Wire.  Their guitarist/singer was using some sort of Hiwatt and getting his drive from a RAT.  It sounded enormous!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    Si_;1083589" said:

Not seen a single one in the dealers to try...they're like vaporware.
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    Si_;1083589" said:

Not seen a single one in the dealers to try...they're like vaporware.
    They had one in PMY newcastle on tuesday this week. Looks delicious! 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    There are any number of good options for this, but if you buy a used Fender HRD you can move it on for little loss if you don't like it. Bear in mind that you will like it though, it's the best selling combo and fenders longest single continuos production amp (on mark III now though).

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Selmer Treble & Bass
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    solar;1082724" said:
    +1 on the Roland JC. I have a JC40, it's lovely.
    Make that a +2
  • ToonToon Frets: 57
    Marshall 2061X................luuurrrvvvvvllllyyyyy

I am not young enough to know everything

• BumFaceBumFace Frets: 114
    JTM45 loves a treble booster. I had one going on '4 ish' yesterday with the bridged input thing and a modded soul food. Frightened the fkin life out of myself.

It's not exactly a bedroom amp but the sound was glorious with the wet fx going into a fender blues junior.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    Si_ said:
    Interesting reading.. I've always been an Amp overdrive guy and never really got into drive pedals, however watching "That pedal Show" has changed my mind.

Can anyone recommend a good 1x12 combo that could be used? the JTM45 sounds epic on their videos but I really need a Combo (small space/stairs being a big consideration).

Looking for something that would work well with my Mk1 Guv'Nor.

Worth having a look at the Laney Lionheart L20T. I run mine on the drive channel set low and give it a shove with drive pedals every so often, and the response is definitely in line with what you hear from Dan's Hampstead on the Pedal Show videos.

It's not going to be bang on JTM45, but it's definitely in the "old Marshall" ballpark. I recorded some stuff a while back using a late 70s 50W JMP and the Lionheart- The JMP had a bit more "oomph", but there's not a massive amount of difference.

I don't have a Guv'nor, but I A/Bed a bunch of drive pedals with the amp when I bought it and couldn't get a bad sound.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    1970's Music Man amps.

Solid state preamp, valve power amp, loud with lots of head room and rock solid reliability.  Good value for money.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I think I'm going to opt for a Bassbreaker.. just need to decide which one..
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3041
    Si_ said:
    Interesting reading.. I've always been an Amp overdrive guy and never really got into drive pedals, however watching "That pedal Show" has changed my mind.

Can anyone recommend a good 1x12 combo that could be used? the JTM45 sounds epic on their videos but I really need a Combo (small space/stairs being a big consideration).

Looking for something that would work well with my Mk1 Guv'Nor.

Unsurprisingly, my Mk1 Guv'nor sounds very good into my Marshall JCM800 4010 1x12 combo's clean channel.  They can be a little tricky to find mind you.