Any 30/40 watt tweed deluxe owners/users?

shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
I am in the process of dreaming up my next amp wondered if I could pick a few brains.

I have a 18 watt 5e3 amp at the moment and love it's tone but I could do with a bit "more". It's drive tone is brilliant but I am missing a little clarity and cut that I presume going up the the 30/40 watt mark will give me.

What I was wondering is would moving up drastically change the drive tone. Would I also lose some of the dynamic characteristics of the amp?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• svejksvejk Frets: 148
    Is it worth trying a more efficient speaker first? I have a 20w tweed deluxe style amp which had a jensen rated at (I think) 93db. Swapping it out for a tayden great brit (100db?) made a big difference. There is no way I would be able to run flat out at the kind of gigs I do - I have a built in attenuator and I have to use it!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    It could well be.

I love the amp I have, I really do but because of the fact it is lower powered it is not versatile. To gig with my band I have to use a two amp set up so I can have my delays and modulation through an amp with a little more clarity and cut.

My role in my band is as chief noise maker and in order to do that I need a little bit more versatility than just the beautiful drive tone of the tweed.

The reason I'm thinking of going higher powered is to be able to use one amp.
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    Rosewell amps based in Sheffield make a tasty looking twin deluxe type thing with 30w. There was one on sale here a while back and I've seen them on ebay every now and again. I don't really ever play 100% clean so I'm happy to crank a smaller amp. For what it's worth I had a 10w cornell that I played live for a good while with extension cabs. Really liked it but had to run it flat out. Once I bit the bullet though and got something a bit bigger I didn't look back.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    There is something lovely about running a smaller amp, currently my rig is two 18 watt amps used wet/dry with the 5e3 being the dry amp.

Volume isn't really the consideration as I have loads at 18watts. I can gig with my two amps all day and not have to worry about volume. The reason for thinking about a bigger amp (watts wise) is for a touch more clarity and a little less compression. Of course that will change my tone though.

Perhaps I'm hoping for an amp that can do it all but I guess there has to be some compromise in all amps?