Any 5f4 Tweed super fans?

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1632
These seem to get a lot less press and love than the 5e3 circuit. Do we have any 5f4 users on here or fans?

It seems like a good option to have a 20/30 watt version of a Tweed amp. Gigable, more headroom and still in a small enough combo format.

Can anyone give me some pointers on them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I have a Flynn Super in 1x12 format. With an Eminence Lil Texas it's a very lightweight combo that does the job at any gig. Small rooms to festival stages, and anything in between.
    It fattens up nicely at about halfway on the volume, but still has enough headroom to take a volume boost for solos. Holds up nicely with time & mod effects too.

No, it's not for sale!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited May 2016
    I have played a couple of originals and they are fabulous. The '59 I played sounded really gainy and fat, no pedals required. I've owned clones of a low power tweed twin and a bassman and a number of 5E3's. I currently have a Gartone 5E3. I sold the bigger amps because they were a little too much for where I play. I have spoken to Martin about having a super built by him, so I'm considering that. Great amps. Rob
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 130
    A 5F4 Super clone is no1 on my list of amps of desire. I am a big fan of the 2x10 supers, have an 61 6G4-A brown Super at the moment and would love a tweed version.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1632
    Ah good so there is some love out there for it. YouTube is light on 5f4 demos.

The amp I am playing at the moment is an 18watt 5e3 2x10 so I am in the ballpark.

I am considering this as it would give just a little more headroom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3174
    edited May 2016 tFB Trader
    The 5F4 is one of those amps that doesn't get enough love and is extremely underrated. However those who own them usually swear by them and I've seen them gigged on all sorts of stages.

If you play a Telecaster, I highly recommend checking out the 5E5 Pro instead, that 15" speaker is a great alternative to the usual 1x12"/2x10" boxes that you see everyday.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

I have a spare Tayden 15" JBL clone knocking around. Have been toying with the idea of making a new baffle and putting it in my Super. Is that the only difference between the Pro and Super, or is there more to it?

Trading feedback here
    tFB Trader
    The main difference was the cabinet and speaker size, but to go with that the NFB resistor is a different value to match the speaker load (8ohms Pro, 4ohms Super). Apart from that it's pretty much the same chassis/amp along with the Bandmaster
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

@RiftAmps the reason I'm asking is that these amps seem to have very little wide spread appreciation. Certainly compared to the 5e3.

From what I've listened to on line they sound superb. Like a big 5e3
    tFB Trader
    @shaunm yup they're great amps. I'm not really sure why they aren't massively popular.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I nearly bought a Flynn Super on eBay about a year ago. It wasn't cheap enough for a punt so I pulled out but it does sound great from the demos I've seen which you've probably already seen on Youtube. Maybe another time ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    @hotpickups
    Yeah, it was me that bought it! I waited till the listing ended and contacted the seller direct and we made a deal. I had a gig just down the road from him, so meeting up was easy :)

Trading feedback here
    Small world. I did the same but obviously did t offer enough. Do you still like it @Trude ? I'm not enquiringly for a sale just interested ;)
    Trude;1074664" said:
    @hotpickups
    Yeah, it was me that bought it! I waited till the listing ended and contacted the seller direct and we made a deal. I had a gig just down the road from him, so meeting up was easy :)
    Yeah, it's right in the sweet spot for me. Ample power and headroom, very light and looks good too. I also quite like the simplicity of it - quick and easy to dial in a good basic tone and pedals can do the rest.

Trading feedback here
    @RiftAmps
    My 15" is actually 8ohms, so I guess I'm good to go!

Trading feedback here
    By the way, I'm not one for recording demo videos, but there is a YouTube clip of my Super in action on a big stage if it's of interest.  This is my Stones tribute, so I'm the Keith dude on the left:

I'm not sure where the audio mic was on stage, but I suspect over on the other side.  I don't think there was much of me coming through the monitors, so what you hear is mainly the amp on its own at about 6-7 on the dial (out of 12).  The other guy (Ronnie) is playing a Strat through an AC30, so he's a bit more wiry sounding here.

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Trude quality stuff that, looks like great fun. That's looks like a fantastic gig to do. Thanks for posting.

So your super is more than loud enough then?
    Summer 2016? Did I miss it then I.e. Summer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Summer 2016? Did I miss it then I.e. Summer
    Yeah, that's what a lot of people said. The first day of that festival was the last day of APRIL FFS!!

Trading feedback here
    shaunm said:
    So your super is more than loud enough then?
    Loud enough for that gig without needing any of it in the stage monitors anyway

Trading feedback here
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    shaunm said:
    Ah good so there is some love out there for it. YouTube is light on 5f4 demos.

ermm.....

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>