Acoustic guitar pickup woes and advice ...

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I bet it'll play like a dream soon enough once ICBM is done with it :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revdickrevdick Frets: 0
    I have an Armstrong 12-string, played mostly in church, and have the LR Baggs I-Mix pickup system which I installed myself. It has a bridge transducer and an underbridge element.  It works extraordinarily well and sounds great; and I've tried a few, including Fishman. I think maybe the Anthem was either badly fitted or the wrong choice.
  • Thanks to @ICBM for sorting my acoustic out. 
    Regarding the action, a little more groove needed to be made on the nut for the B & high E strings only. 
    Mainly, though... there was a 0.5mm shim under the saddle which he simply removed and has helped the action a fair bit!! 
    How about that!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    Mainly, though... there was a 0.5mm shim under the saddle which he simply removed and has helped the action a fair bit!! 
    How about that!
    It wasn't a sort of pinky orange colour by any chance was it? I found one under the saddle of a
    D09 I used to have....
  • I think t's more brown. Seems a popular thing to do!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72399
    This one was rosewood.

Pinky-orange is 'Paxolin' usually - a hard resinous composite material.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Amazing the difference it makes!
  • revdickrevdick Frets: 0
    and that shim probably affected the sound from the pickup quite badly.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72399
    revdick said:

and that shim probably affected the sound from the pickup quite badly.
    Unlikely, since firstly it was rosewood and secondly it's not an undersaddle pickup.

I didn't notice any change in sound when I took it out. That isn't always true, sometimes cardboard or thin plastic shims seem to, but in general a well-made hard shim doesn't make any difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Despite having played for nearly forty years, I'm incredibly uninformed regarding acoustic set ups.

My guitar is nearly thirty years old and pre-velco so has a tricky battery holder clip thing to navigate that I know I'd struggle with in any live situation. I have a dread of a battery dying on me at the worst possible time so I'm thinking of installing a passive pickup (probably the K&K mini unless anyone has a better suggestion). Is the K&K preamp the best long-term solution for connecting to a desk or would I need that (or an alternative) and a DI?

Using the guitar's current onboard pre-amp, I'm using a Behringer ADI-21 which seems a neat little thing although I'm not sure how robust it will be. Is there a good single unit preamp/DI that would work well with the K&K mini?

Thanks. :)

cam f

• LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    camf said:
    Is there a good single unit preamp/DI that would work well with the K&K mini?

Either the K&K Pure XLR preamp/DI or an Orchid DI would work. K&K Pure Minis like to see a 1 Meg Ohm or lower input otherwise you can get excessive bass muddying up the sound.
    Yes, the Muting Orchid seems like a neat solution. I found this thread on another site that suggested the Orchid might even do away with the need for a preamp with the K&K Pure Mini. http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/70201#.V7x7ko7RM_U

• I've got the cheap non-muting orchid. Workrs a treat and cheap as chips. Fancied the muting one but it is too big to fit into the guitar case.
    Hi @thomasross20 ; :) And you're just using that without a preamp, yes?
  • Yeah I just go straight into PA - do all the EQ on the mixer. For all the time I'll be playing acoustic I don't need some million dollar setup. Anyway, the orchid stuff is really high quality.
    Cool. That sounds like it should work for me too. :) I might spring for the version with the mute though.
  • Yeah that's probably the better option - let us know how it works out!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    I've used a K&K straight into the PA with an active DI box - normally an Orchid but I've probably used one or two others as well.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I've got a K&K Mini in my acoustic, run through a Tonebone PZ-PRE, and the preamp isn't needed at all!