is it safe to: use an external preamp signal directly into a combo amp's effects loop return jack ?

What's Hot
Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
edited May 2016 in Amps
I have a few drive/pre-amp type pedals and devices.  Some are valve; some solid state; and some amp-in-a-box type pedals with JFETs.

I'd like to experiment with using these in conjunction with a combo amplifier but with the latter being used just as a power amp and speaker.
Specifically, if I was to plug my external preamp signal directly into the combo amp's effects loop's return jack , thereby bypassing the combo amp's own pre-amp.

I wish to know whether it would be safe to do this or do I risk damaging an amp?

Advice please?

thanks!
over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    That's exactly what I do and many others on here, it's just fine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24470
    Yup.

I use my bass amp as just a power amp for many things that way.

Works very well.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I sometimes use an AMT preamp straight into FX returns on many amps.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

Yes, perfectly in order.

FYI if you try this with most of the Blackstar range you must put a dummy plug in the input jack to defeat the auto standby feature. A 1/4" headphone adapter works a treat.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    So can you do this with 'normal' drive pedals as well as pre amp type pedals? For example I have a skreddy screw driver mini deluxe, Thorpy peacekeeper and a klone. Would I be able to put these into the return of the FX loop of my cornford roadhouse?
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    So can you do this with 'normal' drive pedals as well as pre amp type pedals? For example I have a skreddy screw driver mini deluxe, Thorpy peacekeeper and a klone. Would I be able to put these into the return of the FX loop of my cornford roadhouse?

I have found this to sound awful in the past, the pre amp section is there for a reason, I expect the drive pedals straight into the fx return to sound horribly fizzy and nasty. However, as a 'sound' it could be something you want for an effect, but it won't damage your amp.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Yes, it's always fine to do this with any external drive pedal/preamp.

What is sometimes not fine is to connect the send as well, so the pedal/preamp is actually *in* the amp's FX loop. That can cause instability, self-oscillation and in the most severe cases damage the amp. Not common, but it can happen occasionally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929

Thankyou all for the replies and advice. :)

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Sorry to necro-bump but I tried this last night using my Adrenalinn III into my Delta Blues. I thought it a neat trick and it worked perfectly.

You learn such a lot hereabouts.

Cheers.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Used my back up rig on Sunday as it was a small stage - Axe FX Ultra into the fx return of a Wharfedale TCT35 valve combo. It sounded great and takes up very little space.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited May 2016
    My Amptweaker pedal sounds like a demon going into the FX return of my Matamp. (However I think it sounds even better going through the input all on clean.)

I'm tempted to get a Matrix GT1000FX power amp at some point to go with my Amptweaker.
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    Kemper into DSL40c sounds great too. Mind you I'm all about the Marshall tones anyway :)