NAD: Louis Electric Columbia Reverb

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3875
    @StuartMac290 Thanks for the info. I must try both a Deltone and Columbia! I've been edging towards the Deltone for the extra bit of headroom, but I suppose I've got that covered with my Rambler anyway. I'm confused when faced with a choice between an 18w 1x12 Princeton-type and a 22w 1x12 Deluxe Reverb-type! I've always found both Fender amps to have similar tones, being differentiated more by the different wattages and speaker sizes. Overall I prefer the single channel simplicity of the Columbia - I've never understood the point of having two separate channels (aside from the fact that people used to run multiple instruments though them back in the day).
    Me too. Go for the Columbia. It's the speaker size which makes the biggest difference and the Columbia has a 12 anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've a/b/c'd Columbia, Rambler and Sportsman at Coda. Sportsman doesn't do it for me. Rambler is more modern and hifi sounding, compared to the Columbia which sounds OLD. If you want something that sounds like an old Blackface, Columbia is the way to go IMO
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    edited March 2017
    @Lebarque Cool, good to know. I still think the Rambler is a keeper at the moment for all-round use. I'm going to try out a Celestion G12 Neo in it, which I'm hoping I'll prefer to the current Wizard. But yes, if I can sell my Slant I think I'll pull the trigger on a Columbia! Love the look of the new two-tone ones too.

BTW, is the Columbia cabinet bigger than a Princeton Reverb one, or the Headstrong Lil King S cab? My mate has the Lil King but it has pretty bad valve rattle, due to the small cab...
    edited March 2017
    ^ Not that I'm biased one way or the other, but I'll predict the Rambler could be the next out the door if a Columbia arrives - It's a Carr fire sale in the Edmunds household! I'm still loving my Carr Impala, but I might be accidentally buying a Lazy J tomorrow, so we'll see what occurs in the upcoming weeks. The amp carousel keeps a turnin'....
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited March 2017
    @Lebarque Cool, good to know. I still think the Rambler is a keeper at the moment for all-round use. I'm going to try out a Celestion G12 Neo in it, which I'm hoping I'll prefer to the current Wizard. But yes, if I can sell my Slant I think I'll pull the trigger on a Columbia! Love the look of the new two-tone ones too.

BTW, is the Columbia cabinet bigger than a Princeton Reverb one, or the Headstrong Lil King S cab? My mate has the Lil King but it has pretty bad valve rattle, due to the small cab...
    The Columbia is taller and deeper than a Princeton.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Lebarque said:
    I've a/b/c'd Columbia, Rambler and Sportsman at Coda. Sportsman doesn't do it for me. Rambler is more modern and hifi sounding, compared to the Columbia which sounds OLD. If you want something that sounds like an old Blackface, Columbia is the way to go IMO
    Old as in sportsman dark sounding?
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    Does anyone know when Coda are getting these back in?
    ruoma said: but
    Lebarque said:
    Old as in sportsman dark sounding?
    Not to my ears. Sportsman sounded a bit muffled, blanket over amp sound to me. Possibly due to the Eminence RWB in it? Columbia has the Blackface sparkle, but it just sounds old, rather than modern. Hard to explain! Check one out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    monkey42 said:
    Spoke to them today. They reckon they've got a shipment coming at some point next month.
    monkey42 said:
    Spoke to them today. They reckon they've got a shipment coming at some point next month.
    The dollar exchange rate is gonna do us no favours here... :0(
    edited March 2017
    @Lebarque True that. F***ing Brexit has shafted us gear addicts!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Gonna have to buy British. I just have ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    If I could find something British that sounds (and looks) as good as a Louis Electric I would! What have you gone for?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If I could find something British that sounds (and looks) as good as a Louis Electric I would! What have you gone for?
    @WillEdmunds ; A Dualist from RD Amplification. I've chosen the Tolex, grill cloth, speaker, valves, wattage etc. So it can look as good and s personal as you want it :)

Rob has been great so far keeping me up to date with progress shots of the build. Should be picking it up thiis weekend. 
    @hotpickups Cool, I know a few people who love their RD amps! When I spoke to Rob he was very much pedalling the Dualist thing, which sounded to me a bit more like a Two Rock/Dumble inspired design. I'm after a hand-wired single channel 6V6 vintage Blackface amp - I don't want any bells and whistles! Hope you dig your amp - let me know how you get on when it arrives!
    @hotpickups Cool, I know a few people who love their RD amps! When I spoke to Rob he was very much pedalling the Dualist thing, which sounded to me a bit more like a Two Rock/Dumble inspired design. I'm after a hand-wired single channel 6V6 vintage Blackface amp - I don't want any bells and whistles! Hope you dig your amp - let me know how you get on when it arrives!
    Yeah that's why I chose it. I've already got the 6v6/6L6 thang covered. Dumble cleans sort of :)
    @WillEdmunds   Have you looked at @RiftAmps UK-made PR18?
    Lebarque said:
    @WillEdmunds   Have you looked at @RiftAmps UK-made PR18?
    Yeah, I'm aware of those. Was contemplating a PR18 head and vertical 2x12 cab. Would be a good blues rig! I'd certainly like to try one...
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited March 2017
    dr z cure. £1099. small combo, 12' speaker 6v6 amazing level control. can do blackface cleans to tweed crunch and more at any volume. lightweight hardwired. bargin 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    I can;t think of any amp I want more right now. In brown and black pls.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.