In the market for a new (used) car

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    Moe_Zambeek;1080583" said:
    I have an Accord estate (petrol 09). Servicing is very reasonable at the main dealer and many 'parts' jobs are fixed price (brakes, clutches etc) at prices my indie could not beat. The big struggle with an Accord would be finding one, sales dropped off a cliff around 09/10 so there are cheap old / high milers or expensive new low milers.

Skoda have the same DSG and DPF woes as Volkswagen, plus their higher end touchscreen info / nav systems have issues.

I'm looking at replacements for my Accord and at the moment I can't find anything that fits the bill. Mazda 6s are just getting into my budget but not many petrols around.
    2.4 or 2.2 Mo? And is it Auto?
    Sporky;1080825" said:
    Moe_Zambeek said:

Skoda have the same DSG and DPF woes as Volkswagen

DPF issues only arise for people who buy diesels when they don't need them.
    Not true. DPF's also deteriorate with age.

So on a high mileage car that sees the motorway everyday it can still be a problem. 8th generation Accords like mine being an example.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2489
    A DPF delete isn't too expensive, and extends the life of the engine too (no regeneration cycles). MOT is just looking to see it has the DPF box, so you can gut it and put it back.
    Not saying you should definitely do this but it is an option.

Skoda Superb is a very good car if you aren't a badge snob, and lots of independent garages will stock the parts. My wifes Mk 5 Golf gets serviced independently and last service it was a full service (including diagnostics) new brake bads, a new indicator unit for the wing mirror, and a new rear brake caliper for £210.

I love my BMW but I wouldn't have it without the service package, gets worse if you get a 6 pot too.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3443
    edited May 2016
    @Iamnobody mine is a gen 9 2.0 petrol manual wagon. Looking for an auto for next vehicle though, and I understand the 2.0 auto isn't ideal. Looks like I may go back to a 2.5 Legacy wagon...though to be fair there's no real reason right now to change, just had it 4 years and it's at 85k, so on the cusp of being worthless.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Babones said:
    Don't buy a Vauxhall. I have no idea why people still buy them, or why they still exist.

Obviously there have to be exceptions to every rule, if you have £10k lying about.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3087
    Have a wis for posting the Monaro. I was expecting a transit post again, pleasantly surprised.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    They really should take the Vauxhall badge off it though eh.  Too much bad mental association.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3087
    edited June 2016
    So I went out car shopping today. Had my eyes on one particular Mondeo (hatchback). Drove well, awesome amount of torque and very smooth. I ended up going back in the afternoon to get a second opinion from my Dad and decided to go with a 12 plate Titanium X Estate instead. Not as much power (140bhp estate/163bhp hatch) but the interior is much much nicer (full leather with white piping), body work is near perfect and the space is enormous. Even got £1k off the asking price.

I'm very happy but parking it in my parking space out side my flat is a bitch.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom