In the market for a new (used) car

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3087
So I've been given the ok by my bank and I'm on the hunt for a car.

Currently looking at

Ford Mondeo estate titanium X 2010 - 2013
Vauxhall Insignia Estate 2010 - 2013

So basically a big estate, diesel with an automatic gear box. Good amount of power too.

What else should I be considering around the £8k - £9k mark? And what are your thoughts on the two I've listed. Would rather not look at BMW or Audi as services, parts and repairs are going to cost a lot more than a Ford or Vauxhall.

Cheers gents
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Volvos do a great range of cars in that spec...
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    Octavia estate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29046
    I had a Mondero of that generation as a company hire car. I did not like it.

I would go for an Octavia or Superb - the former has a cavernous boot, the latter a grand cavernous boot.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    Octavia or Passat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    Honda Accord or Merc C Class?

Probably looking at older or higher mileage ones in your budget though.

I've had both currently got the Accord. Watch out for dpf issue though as its a £1k replacement.

The Merc auto box was better though and that was on a five year older car.

The Vauxhall wouldn't be the wisest purchase from what other owners say about reliability and resale.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5589
    I really liked the Passat estate I had on hire. I've had plenty of folk recommend Skoda to me and the Octavia does look huge inside.
    I have a Passat estate at the moment - it's a very good car if you have no opinion on driving. It is quiet and comfy and generally well-thought out, but the Octavia was much less boring to drive. The Mondeo was awful though.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31085
    edited May 2016
    Steve,

I would so implore you to buy an older Merc E Class or C Class 320 or 220 CDi.

You'll get a 2008 car for your budget and it's in a different league. And my 220CDi does 48 mpg.

Servicing: 180 for an A Service.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27858
    Stevepage said:
    Currently looking at

Ford Mondeo estate titanium X 2010 - 2013
    Vauxhall Insignia Estate 2010 - 2013

One of those is right.  And one is wrong - very, very wrong.

Probably better off with a Skoda than a Passat, just in terms of VfM.  If you find a Skoda Superb Estate in-budget, you'll not find much that's bigger internally.

Honda & Merc will hurt your servicing costs just as much as Audi/BMW.  The other downside to Audi / BMW / Merc / Volvo is that they hold their value better than Ford/Skoda, so you'll get less for your money initially.

You've not mentioned anything French, which is correct.

So its Ford Mondeo or Skoda (Superb or Octavia).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3087
    As much as I love Mercedes, the costs of their parts are expensive. Rightly so because they are good quality cars. Father in law has a lovely CLK220 which I love driving but even he says it's expensive when buying parts.

Not considered Skoda so I'll keep my eye out. My Dad has a 2013 Mondeo Estate which he really likes and the space is perfect so it's still a strong contender.

As for Passat, I've heard a lot of mixed opinions. Some love them and some hate them because their clutches and gear boxes break a lot sooner than you would think would be reasonable.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3443
    I have an Accord estate (petrol 09). Servicing is very reasonable at the main dealer and many 'parts' jobs are fixed price (brakes, clutches etc) at prices my indie could not beat. The big struggle with an Accord would be finding one, sales dropped off a cliff around 09/10 so there are cheap old / high milers or expensive new low milers.

Skoda have the same DSG and DPF woes as Volkswagen, plus their higher end touchscreen info / nav systems have issues.

I'm looking at replacements for my Accord and at the moment I can't find anything that fits the bill. Mazda 6s are just getting into my budget but not many petrols around.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    Getting a Merc serviced at a good independent will keep the costs down.

I can't remember exactly what I paid but it was sub £200 for servicing on my C Class. And the garage owner was brilliant. I want another Merc so I can go back to him.

My Accord just got serviced at the stealers and that was only £250.

If you buy a newish reliable car you shouldn't be paying out for parts left right and centre.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I'd recommend going for a £7k car and a fortnight in Tokyo. Or, even better, a £3k car and retiring six months earlier.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12484
    I would go for a Mondeo out of what's been suggested so far. Do NOT get an Insignia, every review I've read of them says they are horrible and develop lots of problems.

Older Accord estates can have issues with the electric tailgate mechanism and it's an expensive fix.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Don't buy a Vauxhall. I have no idea why people still buy them, or why they still exist.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Consider the Focus estate as well.

Skoda have the same DSG and DPF woes as Volkswagen
    DPF issues only arise for people who buy diesels when they don't need them.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I wouldn't entertain a Vauxhall, we used to live next door to an AA man and he said they were the worst cars on the road!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Volvo for reliability, economy and medium price servicing. Very solid and luxurious motoring at a reasonable price.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3087
    Well I've just been out for a spin in my Dad's Mondeo and I'm set on that still. Plenty of power, huge amount of space and is so smooth and quiet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom