somethin' tae play usb MP3s on......

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967

does this exist....?

I've got a shit load of legit CD files on my PC and MP3 Sandisk player and was thinkin' how much easier life would be if I had somethin' tae play them on in the livin' room....a hi fi of sorts

so I understand we have dockin' systems these days..........do we have an up(ish) market docking/hi fi system that would enable me tae plug a MP3 loaded USB into the back?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    Yay @hootsmon - was bemoaning the fact you appeared to have disappeared recently!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27602
    You really need some sort of application (and screen) to tell the usb stick what of its content you want to play, and to be able to play it.

We've got a couple of under-TV boxes (Humax & DVD player), both of which have usb sockets, and use the TV to display content and enable selection of what to play.

The Sandisk player should connect to hifi - from its headphone socket to an aux input with a £2 cable.

If the mp3 files are on your PC, then a better approach might be to link your PC to the device that you want to use as the player / speakers.  There are various amp/receivers with wifi built in, or you could use a Sonos (or similar) unit to connect your hifi to wifi.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967
    Yay @hootsmon - was bemoaning the fact you appeared to have disappeared recently!
    :)
    tae be or not tae be
    TTony said:
    You really need some sort of application (and screen) to tell the usb stick what of its content you want to play, and to be able to play it.

We've got a couple of under-TV boxes (Humax & DVD player), both of which have usb sockets, and use the TV to display content and enable selection of what to play.

The Sandisk player should connect to hifi - from its headphone socket to an aux input with a £2 cable.

If the mp3 files are on your PC, then a better approach might be to link your PC to the device that you want to use as the player / speakers.  There are various amp/receivers with wifi built in, or you could use a Sonos (or similar) unit to connect your hifi to wifi.

can I use this method on a bog standard hi fi with the right cable connection?

tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:
    TTony said:

can I use this method on a bog standard hi fi with the right cable connection?

Yes - as long as the back of your hifi has got a spare set of inputs (generally labelled "aux"), then a cable like this ...

... will work fine.  Doesn't have to be QED (expensive) just search eBay for 3.5mm stereo to two phono (or RCA) and decide how much quality you want to buy.
    cheers Bro   :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    edited May 2016
    I've got a Denon system. It's got a USB port for mp3 sticks, plus a 3.5mm line in on the front. I usually use the line in with my iPod / tablet / phone.

where'd the link go?
    tae be or not tae be
    edited May 2016

the one below the latest one you think?   

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-16867-denon-dm40dab-cddabdabfmusb-micro-system.aspx?VariantHid=34397&gclid=CIeH0aHv68wCFcluGwodt9QJEw

the price has come down a bit since your original link for the 38

tae be or not tae be
    ^^^

If something like that is in budget, absolutely go for it.  I've got something similar in my study - USB, bluetooth, DAB, CD player, does everything that I need it to do.  You can also get models with wifi built in, so you could connect directly to your PC and play the mp3s you've got there rather than just the content on a USB stick.

Richersounds will often do deals with speakers bundled in (if that's relevant).
    hootsmon said:
    where'd the link go?
    Ah sorry, I was trying to post a pic but it didn't work so I chose another URL.
    I bought mine from HiFix.
    I partnered mine with a set of Tannoy speakers and it's the best sound I've ever had.
    ^ Stew...........I'm curious, which Tannoy speakers you go for?
    tae be or not tae be
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    Welcome back hoots :)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    nice man  ^
    tae be or not tae be
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Put the music on your phone then play it through your hifi using a bluetooth connector into your hifi aux input (£20 odd from Maplin)
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    @hootsmon good to see ya :D

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

hootsmon said:
    ^ Stew...........I'm curious, which Tannoy speakers you go for?

I'll find out when I get home
    edited May 2016

@hootsmon, I went for a pair of Tannoy Mercury V1 speakers. HiFix put the bundle together.
    There was an issue with the cd player on the Denon unit when it arrived, but HiFix exchanged it for a whole new unit no argument and the replacement has been faultless. Excellent customer service.