Good modelling amp with effects ?

What's Hot
capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
Ok I am gonna buy my son a Squire mini strat and an amp for his birthday. 

Guitar is sorted he wants the black one and I want to buy him an amp to go with it with a headphone socket and some different amp models and a effects to keep things interesting for him.

I have no clue about modelling amps. What are the younger generation playing with today? 

Budget wise £300 tops with good quality sounds so I can have a noodle as well
Fender Blackstar Marshall code ?? Help !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    Blackstar ID seem fine. Only ever tried the ID100 through good quality cabs so can't comment on the stock enclosures and speakers.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Fender Mustang gets a thumbs up from me. Both the II and III sound great but I especially like the interface on the III and it is easily good enough to gig with if you wanted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

Now I KNOW I am perhaps biased? But I would go for a Blackstar ID Core.

I know nothing of the other brands but the ID C will give him good sounds, "playalongability" with a phone or pod, USB interfacing and, if he so wishes, a chance to get into a community.

Dave.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Vox VT15.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• simonsimon Frets: 41
    edited May 2016
    My son is really enjoying his Yamaha THR-10. Very simple to use and lots of fun with the effects and presets and the aux-in with the adjustable volume is really useful for playing along to favourite tracks. Has a headphone socket too. Nice and light and compact for moving between rooms and the faux vintage styling means the missus doesn't think it's an eyesore.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I've had a mustang, and a thr, but I'd go blackstar.
    Great little amps for the money
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    +1 for a THR
  • step_hentstep_hent Frets: 34
    +another for the THR. I have the THR5 - tiny but sounds great out of the box and there's hours worth of tweaking the sounds if that becomes his bag. Wish those sorts of amps had been around when I was a kid!
  • MickMick Frets: 98

I have a Yamaha THR10 and a Blackstar ID:Core 40, and a Fender Mustang 3v2. 

The THR10 ended up in the Kitchen as a iPod dock.  The Mustang 3v2 is great but I spend more time messing about with the controls than playing the guitar.  I tend to go straight for the ID:Core tbh, it's really easy to use and sounds excellent.

Don't rule out the new Marshall Code range though, they look pretty good from what I've seen so far.

• Definitely blackstar ID - the bigger ones sound better, they have extra controls on the front plate so I'd get the id 60. Don't worry, it goes quiet.

Or, if you go used, you can get a vox valvetronix. Imo the best sounding of the modellers, I liked the earliest generation with neodymium speakers the most. The first gen metal grill ones look fucking rubbish but also sound great at many sounds. The ac30tb and UK 70s models are both very good.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited May 2016
    Blackstar ID30 TVP + THE FS10 footswitch or if you can push it an ID60 TVP combo +FS10 footswitch. brilliant amps that punch far beyond they're price tag. My choice would be the ID60 TVP though.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Roland Cube is hard to beat.
    For £300 you could get an 80w lol
    It will do whisper quiet but gig worthy when the time comes.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616

I'm gonna be moving these very soon....

Blackstar ID30TVP & think I have orig. box too.

Fender G Dec 30 ( all built in effects & SD card for play along to back tracks + headphones & MP3 input. don't know why these didn't get better press.

Boss ME25 FX pedal..goes great with the ID30

Fender Excelsior. Brown. Great for big sound and takes pedals well.

All excellent condition & well under your budget. Any of those amps can get way too loud for a house.

Sounds like you already got guitar sorted but will also shift Peavey Black AT200 hardtail and Charvel SK1 skatecaster with EMGs.

If interested in a looksy send me yr email addy & I'll send some pics & more info

Where are you ? If any of interest you would be welcome to pit them against each other if you are local enough with no obligation.

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616

If I was going for a single amp to do all I'd go with the Mustang II methinks. Great sounds & very versatile.

Or if he has a tablet then the Marshall code 25w and use the Bluetooth for all the settings.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Roland Microcube. Loud enough. Great quality sounds and effects. Portable as you like which may be useful if he wants to jam at school/ with mates etc.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9713
    Roland Cube.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Thanks for the great info chaps
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    bazxkr said:

I'm gonna be moving these very soon....

Blackstar ID30TVP & think I have orig. box too.

Fender G Dec 30 ( all built in effects & SD card for play along to back tracks + headphones & MP3 input. don't know why these didn't get better press.

Boss ME25 FX pedal..goes great with the ID30

Fender Excelsior. Brown. Great for big sound and takes pedals well.

All excellent condition & well under your budget. Any of those amps can get way too loud for a house.

Sounds like you already got guitar sorted but will also shift Peavey Black AT200 hardtail and Charvel SK1 skatecaster with EMGs.

If interested in a looksy send me yr email addy & I'll send some pics & more info

Where are you ? If any of interest you would be welcome to pit them against each other if you are local enough with no obligation.

you are having a clear out PM some deets on the Blackstar
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Fender Mustang III Loads of great sounds straight out of the box. 
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    I think you're missing a trick here - I'd be looking at a Lazy J40 or a Carr Lincoln ;)

You could always get him one of these down the line, when your finances have recovered: