Brace Yourself... NAD

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Nerine said:
    How does the power scaling work? Surely turning the volume down is exactly the same with it being SS?
    I'm assuming they've modelled that also.
    I guess it must be modelled, it does affect the headroom I believe. I have the Blues Cube Hot as I was concerned that the jump from 0.5W to 15W would be too big. In truth I've used all power levels on the Hot and they all work at home with master volume adjustment. 

But yeah, volume half-way up sounds different on 5W to 0.5W, for sure. Slightly cleaner on 5W.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    The power setting makes a real difference on my little Vox digital modeller. It's an analogue control in the power section, not part of the modelling.

I haven't bothered to investigate how it works, but it's not true at all that because the power section is solid state it will sound the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    One thing that the power control does give you is a greater control over the master volume. Within each mode you then have the full sweep of the master rather than dealing with one volume control trying to go from whisper quiet to gig volumes. It's very useful.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    edited June 2016
    I've just tried a blues cube stage. 

It's good, possibly not as good as I was expecting after following this thread. I think I may have set my expectations too high though :)

Definitely the best ss amp I've played though. One of my benchmarks is the dynamic range you can get from a fender twin just by strumming softly or really hitting the strings. The cube does that really well. It also really amazed me just how loud that little box is for something I could lift above my head with 1 hand.

I agree that the channels combined is where it's really at which is where I'm undecided. I want an amp primarily for home and can do small gigs with. I'm sure that the cube could handle the gigs but if I'm blending the channels for my regular sound then not sure if it would be versatile enough to use as a channel switcher. I also found the tone controls didn't seem to do much. I wanted a bit more top end sparkle on the clean but couldn't seem to get it. 

Will do some more research into that but it's still a possibility. 

To me it beat the pants of the fender bassbreaker and is probably on a par with the HRD. So putting it in perspective, a little ss combo competing favorably with the best selling valve amp is a good thing. The stage version is more expensive than the hrd though and the footswitch is extra!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Reading this thread with interest. Having just decided to part ways with my band I'm considering changing up my amp setup since its so bloody difficult to get a band going, can envisage most of my playing being at home, for which a 50w valve amp is definitely not the right tool.

Being a Blues amp I guess it's meant to do those fendery tones, how high gain does it go exactly? How well does it take pedals either boosting the slightly dirty tone (like you would a normal valve amp) or into the clean channel if I wanted to use a pedal for more of a marshally sound?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7442
    edited June 2016
    Saw a summer NAMM '16 demo of this yesterday on Youtube (version with the add-on Blues module plugged in) - sounded very good indeed.

Nowhere around me stocks anything actually worth trying but I work in London - anywhere in Central got these in stock? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Just seen Robben Ford has done a plug in thingmy too. Sounds great on the vid, but of coarse it does.....it's him.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7442
    koss59 said:
    Just seen Robben Ford has done a plug in thingmy too. Sounds great on the vid, but of coarse it does.....it's him.
    Just looked at that on the Roland site - clean sound was fab - dirty :-/ 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I've had a quick blast on the Ultimate Blues capsule now. It basically does what you would hope in that it changes the tone to a 6v6 type but doesn't lose the strengths of the amp. It's still responsive, dual tone still works brilliantly and generally sounds great.
    My only criticisms would be the price, which I think is too steep, and installation. Putting the thing in is really easy but there is no positive click or feel to let you know it's fully engaged.
    Because this left with me with no idea how much force I should be applying, and because I am a huge klutz, I eventually put it in while the power was on so I could see when it lit up.
    The power light on the amp changed colour which is cool!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    STOP PRESS: new evidence has emerged to support the defence's case, m'lud. Kirk Fletcher (what a player) is using a Blues Cube. Case closed. @Wazmeister wins.

Proof in this new Andertons vid:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited July 2016
    Well I've got the disease now and just got a Blues Cube Artist 1x12 after trying one at Andertons. It was the Kirk Fletcher video above that finally swung it, but thanks to @Wazmeister for putting this on my radar.

It's part of my quest to find a lighter amp to replace my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, which is too heavy for an old git like me. I was missing the convenience of a combo using my separate head (Victory V40) and cab arrangement.

I just tried it next to my Hot Rod, which now happens to be loaded with a Celestion V type speaker because I have this (possibly misconceived) idea that it takes me closer to Mike Landau's sound with his Hot Rod Deville. I'd say the 'pure' clean of the Blues Cube is on a par with my Hot Rod - not better, but good in a slightly different way. The crunch/overdrive is way better, but that never was a good point of the Hot Rod.

It seems to have a least the same clean volume. It's definitely noticeably lighter (never mind the quality feel the weight :)).

It's not a competition.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    (Part 2)

Testing and Trialling…

So, having recently tried the lovely Carr Lincoln (I really liked it but didn’t love it), I had the chance to try the Yamaha THR100HD with the incredible Ross (from Yamaha) guiding me through it.

Superb sounds, a great gigging amp, and I was SO close to buying it.

Returned to the same dealer next day, to try and buy the 100HD. Whilst there, I thought I’d revisit one of my fave amps (which can be hard to come by) in the form of the Mesa Boogie Express Plus 25. They had a combo and whilst I was there, I thought I’d give it a blast. Loved it again. 

The Express is around £1600 but well worth it, and I thought, yep I’ll take this. In the meantime, A/Bing with the Yamaha, the guy working there brought in the Roland Blues Cube. 

Ok. I’ll give it a spin. I tried the Stage model to start with. Bloody brilliant. Full stop. Loud, powerful, great tones yes GREAT tones.

Then, I tried the slightly louder/bigger/fx loop Artist model (and the even larger 2x12 too). Now, here me right now.

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST AMPS I’VE PLAYED.

Why ?

Well, it does those clipped cleans that Ive been searching for. Easy and very instinctive to use, no stories issues or downsides. It even bloody looks good in the flesh

Maybe, just maybe it lacks the feel, bloom of the Mesa Express sitting alongside it. Only maybe. But still, £1000 cheaper !!

Then, I blended the clean channel and the OD channel on the Blues Cube. The sound in my head. It could virtually copy and mirror the Mesa.

Needless to say. The Blues Cube Artist came home with me…

At home (and still fairly loud) volumes, it can match the Rambler. Now, just hold on and think about that.

MATCH THE RAMBLER ?!?!? Get a grip.

This is a modelling amp costing £699.

Mind blowing.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Blues CUbe 2.jpg

Was wondering, do you still like the amp after the honeymoon period.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm still more than happy with mine.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I like my Stage. I don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but it more than justifies its price tag. I've used it at a couple of festivals instead of my usual MJW rig and have been happy with it.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9564
    @markj - yep mate, still sounding great !

ive had it in stereo with the Carr Rambler (clean) with the BC breaking up slightly... Sounds wonderful AND it's similar voiced to the Rambler imho...
  • Now up for sale due to angry wifey 'clean-this-shit-hole-room-up' statement !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have to say I was underwhelmed when I tried the artist I think and tried a fender pro junior immediately after trying it and preferred that but maybe I should revisit it. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9564
    edited November 2016
    I have to say I was underwhelmed when I tried the artist I think and tried a fender pro junior immediately after trying it and preferred that but maybe I should revisit it. 
    It is, quite simply imho, a stunning amp at ANY price.

But bear in mind, this cost £699 and it's been keeping up with two £2200 amps !!!
    Incredible really, what the technology has achieved...
  • I have to say I was underwhelmed when I tried the artist I think and tried a fender pro junior immediately after trying it and preferred that but maybe I should revisit it. 

But bear in mind, this cost £699 and it's been keeping up with two £2200 amps !!!
    I have to say I was underwhelmed when I tried the artist I think and tried a fender pro junior immediately after trying it and preferred that but maybe I should revisit it. 

I just wish they make it clear with the watts and its valve equivalent. 60 solid state watts isn't the same as 60 valve watts which all us valve amp users understand really. I bet they get the same question at Roland asking is it loud enough etc 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/

I just wish they make it clear with the watts and its valve equivalent. 60 solid state watts isn't the same as 60 valve watts which all us valve amp users understand really. I bet they get the same question at Roland asking is it loud enough etc 
    The Coral use two of these live - its loud enough alright !!