Why are there so many friedman amps for sale??

What's Hot

Comments

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    That's what I think is so good about the classifieds section here though. A really great turnover of both more usual and boutique amps/guitars. Aren't we all just fickle GAS hounds anyway? :)

I think a JJ would be a great amp for me but could never part with the cash to get one. Would like a PT or mini DS at some point as they seem decent value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    I imagine Jessie at Lazy J turns out a lot less units than Friedman do, its possibly a case of the emperors new clothes and Gas fuelled by internet forums LOL

• It's the same deal with most high end over hyped amp heads.  

Amp manufacturer becomes flavour of the month, people assume they're going to be way better than anything else out there, buy them and then realise they're just an amp and the player still sounds more or less the same.

That's not a knock on Friedman, they're great amps, but they are just amps and they don't sound magically better than anything else.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I really want one because I love the plexi-with-modern-twist idea but then I saw a video of someone A/B ing it with a JVM and getting pretty much the same sounds and it made me go hmm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    If a Marshall could really do what a Friedman does the no one would buy a Friedman,suhr or bogner . Best thing to do is go try one out as a YouTube video isn't going to give you the in the room sound and the feel of the amp
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LescasterLescaster Frets: 107
    edited June 2016
    leerocker;1093357" said:
    If a Marshall could really do what a Friedman does the no one would buy a Friedman,suhr or bogner . Best thing to do is go try one out as a YouTube video isn't going to give you the in the room sound and the feel of the amp
    True, but not 100% as there will always be people that buy a 'boutique' amp just so they can say they have the latest 'orgasmatron shizzzle sizzle kerang 5000', yet they probably couldn't tell the difference between those amps and a Marshall/Fender/Boogie etc etc.

I get the feeling that's the reason for some guitar purchases too.

Edit: people love to be seen not conforming with the norm.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    hugbot said:
    I really want one because I love the plexi-with-modern-twist idea but then I saw a video of someone A/B ing it with a JVM and getting pretty much the same sounds and it made me go hmm.
    i've seen the same video and i could hear a significant difference, however the feel is night and day having owned a JVM (which was stiff, sterile and lacking in beef) and a Friedman that was the exact opposite

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    I tried a BE100 when buying a second hand guitar.  I didn't know what they were at the time but I was blown away by how alive it was even at modest volumes.  I would have one if I needed a powerful rig.  To date I haven't been impressed by any Marshall I've played.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10443

That was what impressed me about the Friedman, even at lowish volume cos it was mic'ed up and it was a wedding at Ridge Farm Studios,  it sounded like a cranked Marshall, low volume but none of that fizzyness, just a great fat organic sound. I mean I hear and mix all kinds of amps and normally don't take a lot of notice but I certainly noticed that amp

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • jgmoutonjgmouton Frets: 30
    The MDS is out of stock everywhere I turn to.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9832
    I assumed it was basically because, for all the excitement and subtle differences, they basically still just sound like a Marshall
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited June 2016
    Sold my Friedman when I relocated to Oz. Big mistake, and bought another a month later. Fantastic amps, they don't "still just sound like a Marshall". As others have said, YouTube videos don't do them justice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Dunno. They do sound like the best Marshall gain tone you've ever heard, (better in my opinion actually) but Friedman do it at any volume, with a superb clean channel and brilliant loop.

Whether it's worth the price or not is obviously down to the buyer. Best value for money amp I've had because it's the best amp I've ever had. Worth every penny. 

Wonderful that we all don't all feel like that though I guess. Not all just some grading belt achievements of what gear you're *supposed* to like etc...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    As someone who just sold a Friedman half stack on here, it was not for any of the reasons mentioned so far. I sold mine because I had 3 Friedman 100w heads and 3 Friedman 4x12s. I also have 2 kids under 3, and was finding that the amount of time I have to play anything for more than 20 mins is rare. I decided to scale back so I didn't spend half my time deciding what amp to use, but just got on with playing when I had the time. I also thought that it was best to sell one rig now, whilst it was in great condition rather than wait for the kids to relic them. It just seemed a waste to have such a great head and cab sitting unplayed for weeks if not months at a time. So no great complicated reason, just a sensible one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Si_ said:
    Sold my Friedman when I relocated to Oz. Big mistake, and bought another a month later. Fantastic amps, they don't "still just sound like a Marshall". As others have said, YouTube videos don't do them justice.
    Thats praise indeed from Si, he's owned 1 or 2 classic amps in his time!!
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited June 2016
    The Friedman is the only amp I've ever keep.. I've had a LOT in my time and got bored of them all, but my Friedman always puts a smile on my face.. 

I'm now using a PT20 due to having 2 flights of stairs to get up, but Its still a beast..

I'm VERY curious to see what the Runt turns out to be.. It's going to be a Cheap(er)  Friedman, PCB rather than handwired which should bring the price down a lot and make them more affordable for most people (or so I hope)

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    Friedmans have the best tone I have ever heard. It really depends on what you expect from an amp. The complexity of the tone is difficult to explain. Videos and YouTube do not let you hear and feel this. Feel is very important to me. To describe a Friedman as just another Marshall is true if you've never actually heard or actually played one- if you had then I really don't think you would say that! I've had nearly all the Friedman range at one time or another. My tastes change but one thing that doesn't change is the quality of tone that these amps produce. Every Friedman nails THAT tone (which ever you're after) I'm lucky enough to be able to try em buy em and punt em on. I've never been disappointed in the tone, it's just some of them didn't suit what I wanted from an amp at that time. I'm currently selling THE best amp I've ever owned- I don't have to. If it doesn't sell then that's fine- it's still the best sounding amp I've heard- for my kind of playing BUT I also have a Buxom Betty which is perfect at the moment- I won't sell this as the direction I'm going to go- two amps dry/wet the BB will be the clean and I'm looking at maybe another Dirty Shirley to run them together. I may do this, or I may change my mind and punt it on. This forum is great for people like me as exotica comes up here pretty often. Don't knock it just celebrate it. 'Emperors new clothes' my arse! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I must also add that friedman customer service is first rate. Any time I've emailed Dave I've had a response within a few hours.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I was speaking to a guy last night who had just finished his gig with Vai and he uses Friedman BE - I said they have out Marshall'ed Marshall and he said they had made something as good but without the problems which is why they are doing well - there are a lot of people who will buy the new big thing because they can afford to and want to have great gear - but the reality of a lot of these amps is you can't use them in bedroom/house and in some cases even small gigs.

People move them on as it's a lot of money to have sitting around and there are better alternatives depending on your gigging requirements.

edited June 2016
    The Friedman master volumes are also great you can play at home late at night at whisper levels and it still sounds great. The jj for me is the perfect for at home gigs small or large it sounds great everytime