Why are there so many friedman amps for sale??

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Dave Weiner?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    leerocker said:
    The Friedman master volumes are also great you can play at home late at night at whisper levels and it still sounds great. The jj for me is the perfect for at home gigs small or large it sounds great everytime

Absolutely- except for the Buxom Betty which has no master vol! :)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9832
    edited June 2016
    It was me that said about the "still sounds like a Marshall thing". To be fair each and every past of mine (and most people's) should be read with the disclaimer of " this statement is made with whatever bias was present at the time ". To me they just sound like a Marshall because I don't like the Marshall esque sound very much so there's nothing about subtlety of tone or feel that would change that - they all sound very similar to me as it's not a sound I like nor use :)

I apparently wrongly assumed that this might also be present in the minds of people that but them and the subtlety wears off and they are left with an amp that sounds like a better and nicer made version of another amp. Is assumed for some that matters (and why shouldn't it?) For others it may mean they flog it and get something else
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    It is Dave Weiners amp
    I'm sitting looking at it right now ...
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    leerocker said:
    The Friedman master volumes are also great you can play at home late at night at whisper levels and it still sounds great. The jj for me is the perfect for at home gigs small or large it sounds great everytime

Its a clean amp you dont need one!
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    leerocker said:
    leerocker said:

Its a clean amp you dont need one!

It is! :)
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    edited June 2016
    I regret selling my smallbox, great amp for classic and high gain tones, in essence they are just very good Marshalls but I don't see that as a negative analogy, rock was built on Marshall tones after all. To me they are the manufacturer Marshall should of become.

Having said that, they're too expensive for me to justify owning one, doesn't matter how good the master vol is unless you can open them up a bit it's a pointless piece of kit for most people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2016
    I tried a Pink Taco and was fairly unimpressed tbh. Even more so given the hype. Harsh, nasal, fizzy and actually squealed like a pig with the gain any higher than about 7. I don't get on with Marshall derivatives anyway as a rule, but I was very much unmoved by it.

I then tried an Orange OR15 for about a quarter of the price and it shat all over it, as far as I could tell. Warmer, punchier, not fizzy and actually more usable and controllable across the entire gain range.

As a longtime enormous fan of Jerry Cantrell's tone, I would like to try one of those big signature heads though. Dude has never had a distorted rhythm sound on record that was anything less than utterly majestic.Maybe the big amps played loud are what the fuss is about.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Yeah there was something wrong with that one bucket
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Bucket said:
    I tried a Pink Taco and was fairly unimpressed tbh. Even more so given the hype. Harsh, nasal, fizzy and actually squealed like a pig with the gain any higher than about 7. I don't get on with Marshall derivatives anyway as a rule, but I was very much unmoved by it.

I then tried an Orange OR15 for about a quarter of the price and it shat all over it, as far as I could tell. Warmer, punchier, not fizzy and actually more usable and controllable across the entire gain range.

As a longtime enormous fan of Jerry Cantrell's tone, I would like to try one of those big signature heads though. Dude has never had a distorted rhythm sound on record that was anything less than utterly majestic.Maybe the big amps played loud are what the fuss is about.
    Visit the grim north, we can have an amp party with Drew and RHC. It could be literally any volume we liked where I jam.

I do however have to say that I stuck a mic up in front of my amp tonight at home rather than via RHC LoadBox and it sounded great to me even at whisper volume.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited June 2016
    I've got a room full of nice amps and whenever people come over its ALWAYS the Friedman we end up playing the most by a long shot. If we're trying a new guitar out the conversation goes along the lines of..."well let's put it thru Feddy first".

Its hard to get a bad sound our of one. Its worth the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bucket said:
    My amp search ended with the JJ i cant praise it highly enough. Ive had a master volume and gain added to jbe and it makes the amp perfect no drives or boost pedals needed now , cant see me buying anything else for a long time amp wise
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Deijavoo said:
    Bucket said:

Visit the grim north, we can have an amp party with Drew and RHC. It could be literally any volume we liked where I jam.

I do however have to say that I stuck a mic up in front of my amp tonight at home rather than via RHC LoadBox and it sounded great to me even at whisper volume.
    That would be awesome actually :D My Mesa is fuuuuuckin loud for its size...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I'm still not sure I could spend the money but a JJ sounds like it would be perfect for my next amp. I want something high gain, ideally EL34 and Marshall inspired.

Is the JBE switch the only difference or is the whole amp voiced differently to the BE?
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    The clean is more Vox like than the BE clean, something which I didn't actually would think I'd like as much. The BE channel is to my ears pretty much identical to the JJ BE channel. (I'm sure someone can correct me on this) The JBE channel sounds really fat and less classic Marshall, more like a modern, already mixed sound to me. It's so articulate too, every note/string sounds clear as a bell.
    The jj be channel is different to the BE100 had both and the jj is fatter and more aggressive cleans up like a charm though. Spoke to save and asked the question and they are different
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    My Laney is better than any Friedman. ner ner ner ner ner.
    It's amazing how your anything is much better than everyone else's everything .... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cabicular said:
    It's amazing how your anything is much better than everyone else's everything .... ;)
    My penis is better than urs!
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

You only say that cos you're more used to playing with it.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom