SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD YAMAHA MSG CUSTOM bargain time £600 sold

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16113
edited October 2016 in Guitars £

" The guitar Gibson should have made ".........Neville Marten
Superb condition legendary instrument designed for Yamaha by Martyn Booth and the inspiration for his superb handbuilt masterpieces that followed.
Quite a revolution when they first appeared and were used by many famous players -even Gary Moore had a brief flirtation with one .

Extremely comfortable to hold/play and sounding like a 335 /SG hybrid -less meaty than a Les Paul but able to do a good Tele impression when flicked to single coil mode.........ideal for gigging because it really is very versatile.
This is the Top-of range Custom model;
BRAZILIAN  ROSEWOOD FRETBOARD
FLAMED MAHOGANY TOP
SLIM BUT WIDE 24 FRET NECK
8LBS
TREM
RUNWAY LIGHTS IN FRETBOARD ( ON/OFF SWITCH )
PRS TYPE BUILD QUALITY
This guitar has been mildly modified by my Luthier ......The original Spinex active/passive pickups have been removed and replaced with the 4 conductor splittable PAF types from a 1981 Yamaha SA 2000 S ( best pups Yam ever made IMO) -it sounds warmer ,more pick responsive and certainly more mellow at the neck for jazzier styles but it will bark in rock mode or do a great funk tone when in single coil mode - The original pups and loom are included in the price .
 It is quite a rare guitar these days and a slightly left field choice but outstanding value for such a well built and smooth playing instrument.
Coda had a tatty MSG standard at £695 6 months back -a world apart from this custom -it sold within a few days so I think the price is pretty keen.
Seen in first photo with the original Spinex active pups (black )  which I found very sterile and then with the Gold Paf types as it is today.
Only selling as I need funds -regrettably no trades.imageimageimage
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Sweet, always wanted one of these back in my early teenage years! Surprisingly these have aged well in terms of current guitar trends! GLWTS

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    REDUCED by £50
     Pretty sure you will not find a better made,more interesting guitar for this price
    Now reduced to a ridiculously bargainous humungous lot of guitar for £625
    Don't offer me less as I'm liable to go into an unstoppable fit of High Gain distortion with a bit of Wah thrown in for good measure ;)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27631
    OK, I'll ask the questions that I didn't ask when I first saw the ad.

1.  What are the controls (specifically the mini-toggles)
    2.  Is their functionality affected by the change in p'ups?
    3.  Where in the world are you

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30930
    Simply one of the best guitars of all time.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27631
    TTony said:
    OK, I'll ask the questions that I didn't ask when I first saw the ad.

1.  What are the controls (specifically the mini-toggles)
    2.  Is their functionality affected by the change in p'ups?
    3.  Where in the world are you

:)
    @dominic?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    mini Toggles - i) neck pick-up coil tap
                          ii) bridge pick -up coil tap
                          iii) boost switch ( disabled now active pups removed ) - the plan was to buy s/h spark boost /ts mini and install the electronics from it as there is a lot of cavity space in rear panels
     I am London /Herts borders
    IMO - the pioneering Spinex original pups were able to be active or passive but were pretty sterile and quite schrill / over-bright
     The paf types that are in there are just perfect -they came from an SA2000 and were probably the best sounding low output PAF types that any Jap manufacturer has produced except the sought after early 80s Burneys
    I think to find a mini boost pedal and wire it in there would make it a pretty cool tool
    I have all the original loom and wiring diagram
    Oh, and the lower toggle is the pick -up selector as normal - these are all the original switches
    I changed the tarnished gold knobs ( 2 vol ,1 tone ) for new facsimile but I actually think it may look nicer if they were black like the toggles to stop it all getting too blingy
    Upwards
    bump
    Final reduction ........it is an astonishing guitar for the price - I am equally astonished that it is still here
  • There is something mesmerising about classic Yamahas. Good luck with the sale, it's very pretty
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    Are you likely to travel up north at all?
    No...but I'm very happy to send via courier........worst ways if you don't like it then you can send it back
    we have an account with UPS -it will cost about £16 to return it ................no big deal if you are seriously interested and fancy trying it
    I am pretty confident that it wouldn't be coming home ; )
    Wonderful guitar that isn't getting the use it deserves - no point leaving it sat in a case
    PRS QUALITY AT A BARGAIN PRICE
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Tasty... or should I say, umami?
  • @Dominic do you have a link to any more pics?

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I used to have a Deluxe which was a beautifully made guitar except for the awful, tone sucking Yamaha Floyd Rose type trem (and I like a Floyd on the right guitar). This looks like it would be a much better guitar. GLWTS.
    @Dominic do you have a link to any more pics?
    Sorry ,I do not have any others but if you are seriously interested I am very happy to dig it out and take some close-up pics of any particular aspect that concerns you
  • I tentatively wanted to perv the rest of the guitar - don't go to any trouble on my part :) I'm only browsing at this point.