Planned projects for 2014

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    axisus said:
    WezV said:
    * a 9 string fanned fret acoustic - strung double course on the high strings
    * a 5 string open tuned parlour sized acoustic
    They both sound fascinating - are they for someone in particular or just something you fancy doing?

@jez6345789 The strat looks really nice!
    those are for a regular who likes to challenge me a bit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Put together a 5F2A...combo cab is built, have a chassis,transformers and ~50% of the gubbins, still need a board.

Finesse my last few partscaster builds...mostly some nut attention, so barely qualifies as a project.

The biggie...build an aluminium neck guitar.  Found a source for some suitable aluminium T-section, but need to tool up and get serious.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    This year I'm committed to doing fewer projects and playing more with real people. There are still too many projects!

January:
    Cut nut and string DIY Bass VI.
    Rewire Suhr Classic - ideally with Rothwell HLK.
    Etch 1590a Orange Squeeze Enclosure.
    Populate poodle pedal parts 1590a Orange Squeezer.
    Transfer for Bass VI.

February:
    1590a Zendrive.
    1590a Klon.

The Rest of the Year:
    Repair Jen Trashcan Pedal.
    Populate ME50 upcycle project
    Repair reverb on Fender Twin.
    Repair Pignose
    Repair Sho-Bud Volume Pedal

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    As an update:

January:
    Cut nut and string DIY Bass VI - glitch with middle pickup has halted this.
    Rewire Suhr Classic - ideally with Rothwell HLK - trying to find my HLK instructions
    Etch 1590a Orange Squeeze Enclosure. - making a new bath and basket, enclosure all prepped.
    Transfer for Bass VI - description sent ot Rothko and Frost ... might need to prod them :)

February:
    1590a Zendrive - started populating.
    1590a Klon. - PCBs have arrived :)

• currently building a monterey strat and also looking at swapping out the pups on a es335 copy
  • My updates - wired up the tele plate and clear coats are now going on. It's looking very purdy, and has a nice silvery glow to it.

Neck for it - gsp has emailed and said he might have something laying around. From looking at his other work, that would be more than awesome.

Prs alike still in pipeline - but colour scheme chosen. Dark grey back and sides, masked vintage tint binding and a faded purple over black top.

Yummy.

All components are sourced other than pickups for both and machineheads for the tele.

I've finally fitted a string tree to the jazzmaster and set it up for a medium high action with heavy gauge strings in standard, and it's beautiful sounding. So worth the hour it took to properly do, and I learnt plenty while doing it.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9650
    Well, the Ampmaker kit has been ordered, it looks a bit more useful and interesting than the kit it replaced. Also ordered a cab from AF Custom Cabs at a very reasonable price. Just got to decide on the speaker, valves, tolex and grillecloth now...
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    My planning has started for: 
    klon buffers
    RAT clone
    tweaked BigMuff clone(s)
    JMP 1986/7 type head
    50W Cornford RK/MK type head
    replace humbuckers on my LP double cut (this happens all the time)
    find/build headshell for 18w build

no doubt there'll be other things that get started and not finished
  • Finally finish my bitsocaster just need to clear coat the stained body.
    Put a JB in my Epi 335 dot studio. Would also like to add another volume and tone control so I can get the "woman" sound.
    Build my new pedal board.
    Build and paint my purple plexi pedal kit.
    Oh yes and put together my small get up and go pedal board.
    Oh yes I want to build a Warmoth telecaster
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Got a box of bits including a Monster Relic Tele body to put together for Jalapeno Guitars #0001.

Garage door is swollen shut at the moment because of all the rain and I can't get in ! :(
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    As an update:

January:
    Rewire Suhr Classic - ideally with Rothwell HLK - trying to find my HLK instructions
    Etch 1590a Orange Squeeze Enclosure. - making a new bath and basket, enclosure all prepped.
    Transfer for Bass VI - description sent ot Rothko and Frost ... might need to prod them :)

February:
    1590a Zendrive - started populating. interestingly the Poodleparts PCB will fit in a 1590a - and the electrolytics needen't be low profile if you mount them side-ways - the board has space for them. - they don't take to resoldering too well so get it right first time.
    1590a Klon. - PCBs have arrived :) this is slow going - I've afew extra boards so I can see if all tantalum caps makes a big impact on the sound as they're cheaper than lo-rpofile caps :)

March:
    I got a Tone Monk pedal - "Tone Monk" fitted the wrong zener diode so too high a voltage fried the charge pump - no problem if it weren't for the metric ton of goop he used... he's a doofus, but it's a lovely enclosure.. using one of the APIS klon boards and adding a switch to enable/disable the buffer.
    Making an E3MED for my Eventide Timefactor... would have bought from T1M but I want the jacks on the right hand side rather than the top.
    Veroboard LoveSqueeze in a 1590a - given the range of the Lovesqueeze, I want one on my mini board - I also want a single big knob on top - the reason I flipped my Lovesqueeze for a Bicomprossor is I like transparent and I like squish ... so 1590a with a single big knob on the top means I get both of these from my favourite compressor in a tiny package with a twist of my foot :)
    A SHO clone in a 1590a
    Filing the nut of my MJT tele so the fall-away on the far side works :)

• Hoping to get started on a 00045 Martin steel-string building over the summer - got plans and a wood supplier. Debating having a go at an early 1900s Washburn parlour after that.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Hoping to build an inexpensive 7 string Tele with Chinese parts, but use a good neck pickup.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Well I bought my goal/dream guitar last year (PRS DGT) and that's my keeper. I px'd an american special strat for it. I've never been a huge strat fan (old school trem etc). So I bought the PRS because I wanted something which could produce a decent split coil sound. Which it does very well.

Here's the but..........I have two sunburst guitars and one red one. Me being a tart I want a light coloured guitar for some variety. So why not make a strat to suit my needs?

Lace sensor pickups
    Roller Nut
    Locking tuners
    two point trem
    Thin finish

Basically something similar to a jeff beck sig (im not a massive beck fan, just those mods match what i'm after)

So now i'm thinking do I go for a jap squier, a mexican strat or make one from parts? Trying to think of the cheapest way around it. I know a guy who refinishes guitars so that might be an option.

Watched that single pickup vid, And now im hankering something simple aswell!

Also need to get a 6-7 bypass looper and sort my pedal board out. Apart from checking out a Soul Food, I am really done with pedals now!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited March 2014
    I've got a project from last year to complete. The body is all but done, it's a stratlike, the body and neck have been resprayed but need buffing. Ubfortunately, I made a right arse of the neck when I put some stain on it. It's way too thick has covered all the fret markers and I don't know how to get it off without damage or excessive wear to the fretboard. 

Anyone have any advice on this as it's all that it needs to complete this project.

I may fit a new cheap neck, if it can't be be solved but I'd like to finish it with the original bits if possible.

Cheers.

dilbert. 

January:

February:
    1590a Zendrive - started populating. interestingly the Poodleparts PCB will fit in a 1590a - and the electrolytics needen't be low profile if you mount them side-ways - the board has space for them. - they don't take to resoldering too well so get it right first time.
    1590a Klon. - PCBs have arrived :) this is slow going - I've afew extra boards so I can see if all tantalum caps makes a big impact on the sound as they're cheaper than lo-rpofile caps :)

March:
    I got a Tone Monk pedal - "Tone Monk" fitted the wrong zener diode so too high a voltage fried the charge pump - no problem if it weren't for the metric ton of goop he used... he's a doofus, but it's a lovely enclosure.. using one of the APIS klon boards and adding a switch to enable/disable the buffer.
    Making an E3MED for my Eventide Timefactor... would have bought from T1M but I want the jacks on the right hand side rather than the top.
    Veroboard LoveSqueeze in a 1590a - given the range of the Lovesqueeze, I want one on my mini board - I also want a single big knob on top - the reason I flipped my Lovesqueeze for a Bicomprossor is I like transparent and I like squish ... so 1590a with a single big knob on the top means I get both of these from my favourite compressor in a tiny package with a twist of my foot :)
    A SHO clone in a 1590a (can be seen in the far right of this picture)
    Filing the nut of my MJT tele so the fall-away on the far side works :)

June:
    Replace 500k gain pots in my Zendrive clones with a 1M pot.
    Fix Umble
    Finish Pork Barrel
    Repair small clone
    Repair Linn 1 and upgrage to Linn3
    Paint 1590a Zendrive
    House 1590a tremulus Lune
    Make Zero Point Micro Delay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I'll be building a shitload of pedals ;)

juansolo said:
    This season I will be mostly building a shitload of pedals ;)
    fixed that for ya ;)
  • Well, the Paisley Bass is just about done now.

I'm part way through a forearm cut on my Mex Tele and wire up the Power Boost push/pull I keep saying i'm going to do. Oh, and finish paying for the ebony neck thats going on it.

My first guitar, a Tanglewood LP copy, has been in dire need of a good sorting out for the last decade, so gutting the electronics and making a new nut for it are on the list.

Finally whack the TBX pot that's been sitting in my drawer for 6 months in my Tex-Mex Special Tele and get it playable. Something not quite right with it and I just can't seem to get a bead on it.

Build some of my own cables for my pedal board, and maybe move it from the Diago and get a Pedal Train instead.

MAYBE have a go at either a Thinline or a Jag/Jazz build with some P-Rails and some fancy switching.

Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited June 2014
    Plan is to get this Gem! from @GSPBasses grainfilled/sealed/primed then sprayed gloss white, still looking for Gibson/Seymour pickups btw if anyone has some for sale ~ 490R/498T or Jazz/59 Neck, JB Bridge etc
    :D imageimage